1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with Phillip Mills, Ashley Wagner's choreographer

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thank you!

3. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this! Phillip is also just an adorable guy. Wishing him much more success!

4. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Does he skate? Did he learn how to skate?

5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Great interview.

6. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i really like ashleys long program- it is a great vehicle for her- i specially love the spiral sequence - it is fab!

7. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

9. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Manleywoman interviewed Phillip Mills. You can learn a lot about him from that. It was an excellent interview.

10. Sylvia

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

12. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

So I guess the intention was to use the movie soundtrack, but not to make reference to the plot or scenes from the movie but the ballet?

She really needs to pull a piece of shattered glass out of her stomache to end the program :p.

13. OKOK

OKOK New Member

The article says he choreographed Katia Gordeeva's show program "in 2011." Does anyone know if this refers to Cinema Italiano or Feelin' Good?

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbits -

Ashley in her early days was coached by Dodie Teachman. Didn't she coach Tonya Harding? Or, was it Rosalynn Sumners??

Phillip Mills compares her to Jill Trenary. Never thought of that! Do you agree?

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller #1 Dick Button Fan

Absolutely. Both are/have:

(a) naturally strong, yet feminine and elegant

(b) show their emotions...and feel the music

(c) wonderful movement and edges (the basics)

and

(d) physically beautiful in the old-fashioned 'American Apple Pie' way (not to say 'WASP' :lol:) I hate this concept...but being honest, in that 'Ma and Pa Kettle' in Middle America often prefer this sort of female skating champion. Marketing 101.

p.s. The only reason why I wouldn't put Czisny in this category is that she comes across as wispy and fragile...not 'gutsy' like Hamill, Trenary & Wagner.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, great interview. I am glad he mentioned the importance of authenticity of the Black Swan choreo--that is what I (and many many others, most notably, the judges) responded to. Love the Jackson Pollock SP too. Bravo!

17. luenatic

Yes.

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Teachman was Harding's coach in 92. By 94 she'd switched to Diane Rawlinson.

19. Sylvia

Phillip Mills choreographed this "Somewhere in Time" SP for Wagner in the 2008-09 season (IIRC, Ashley's former coach Shirley Hughes recruited Mills to work with Ashley that summer before she switched to Priscilla Hill) -- her lovely performance at 2008 NHK Trophy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSN9mCezO0

20. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Great interview! Interesting to hear about his choreographic process and what inspired the choreography to Ashley's short program. I really enjoy that program but was unsure what the choreography was trying to accomplish and reading his words certainly helps me appreciate it in a different way.

21. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Ashley's Swan program is genius. I love every second of it.

Thanks for links to skaters performing Phillip Mills' choreography. I'm hoping for even more examples. :)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. luenatic

Diane coached Tonya since Tonya was 5 years old.

23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

Sylvia: Thanks for the interview links! I thought it was interesting what Phillip said about how with the IJS now that often a choreographer couldn't incorporate some elements that a skater naturally did very well because they wouldn't garner enough points.

Here's Michelle Kwan performing Kissing You, choreographed by Mills.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Which program did he choreograph for Sasha Cohen? I went through her competitive and show programs on Wiki and didn't see it. May be I am missing it?

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

According to Mills' website, he choreographed Sasha's Hallelujah and God Bless America programs.

Phillip Mills also choreographed Michelle's Hands program (and California Girls when she was quite young).

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks! :) I love Hallelujah but don't recall GBA.

27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Me too. I saw him shortly after Ashley's win and told him so. I also told him he made spiral sequences interesting for me again.

He really is the NICEST guy too. He comes to Chicago several times a year and is always so happy to see me, so fun to work with.

28. lotte86

lotte86 New Member

He also choreographed sasha's program Nobody Knows. And I thought he worked with her on Hurt, but can't seem to find any info on that right now.

Here is Sasha's God Bless America program, it is gorgeous!