Interview with Oleg Vassiliev: questions and/or informations

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by pingu, Jun 17, 2013.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Hi, I have the opportunity to interview Oleg Vassiliev, so I was wondering if any of you have any question for him, or some infos about him to share to help me thinking of good questions to ask. :)
    The same day I am probably going to interview Della Monica/Guarise too, so if you have any quesiton for them just post it here!
    Thanks a lot,
    Laura

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Excellent news! How about the transitions from Chicago to back to Russia - just very broad question

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Oleg Vasiliev has joined Tamara Moskvina's group now as she told me in May. He has taken over Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert, who missed last season due to her injury (broken ankle).

5. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!! Yes, I think Gerboldt/Enbert are in Milan too now.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I believe he was involved with developing the CoP originally. I always felt that T&M had some great programs and transitions in 2003, which I thought was going to make them dominate once CoP was implemented. However, early on, S&Z were beating them in PCS anyway, and T&M retreated to somewhat emptier programs that allowed them to gain more speed and higher PCS scores (even transitions!) .... so I would be curious what his vision for T&M would have been preparing for Torino under 6.0.

Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. :) http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...p-Vasiliev-underrated-or-not&highlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

Maybe some question about Mukhortova?
    Have I finally to give up hoping to see her ever again on competitive ice?

8. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

1. How difficult is it to work with skaters who have not been trained under the old Soviet system (i.e. Della Monica/Guarise)
    2. Does he prefer skating or coaching?
    3. Does he believe the Leningrad Institute of Physical Culture adequately prepared him for his life in sport? How much more does he believe needs to be added to the curriculum, if anything at all?
    4. What future is there for the sport of figure skating around the world?
    5. Does he prefer coaching adults or youth?

9. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

Amen.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes, please do tell him that V&V have many fans who really appreciated their originality in choreography, and how they advanced the sport technically. Their 1988 worlds LP performance is one of my most favorite performances.

Please also tell him what a fantastic job he did with T&M. His coaching helped them win the OGM without any disputes.

I would ask him about his current pairs and how he plans to train them. I would like to know his future coaching plans (will he stay in Russia and train the pairs there or move back to the USA?)

ETA: Please ask him if we will ever see a golden age of Russian pairs skating again?

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Find out how healthy and ready Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert are, please. Although the top three pairs are definitely Volosozhar-Trankov, Kavaguti-Smirnov and Bazarova-Larionov, should either of them get injured, there is no clear pair number 4. It would be a fight for spot between Stolbova-Klimov, Antipova-Maisuradze and possibly Gerboldt-Enbert if they are healthy and ready. (I don't think Martiusheva-Rogonov have a chance unless she started having consistent jumps. I don't know if anyone from juniors would move to seniors, e.g. Tarasova-Morozov, but it doesn't look so because they have no GP event).

12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

13. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

Thanks for taking your time to do this interview and thanks for asking for our input. I wish you good luck.