Interview with Nathalie Péchalat and Fabian Bourzat

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cholla, Oct 2, 2012.

1. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

sbanet, nuge, allezfred and 3 others like this.
  2. znhurston

znhurston Member

Thanks for posting this interview. I always enjoy their frankness and honesty.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interview. Can't wait to see them compete this year.

4. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

Really nice interview. They sound really confident and ready to go this year. I really look forward to seeing them this year.

5. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Thanks!
    What does "Administrative formalities are more simple" specifically refer to?
    I think she is the 2nd person I have read say something like that.

6. marysy

marysy Active Member

My guess would be that she's using it as a general term for all the administrative aspects of living, such as what one needs to do to live in a foreign country (i.e. obtaining a visa), the usual things of getting set up in a new place of residence (i.e. getting a bank account, phone contract, insurance, housing), to things at the rink (i.e. scheduling, setting up lessons, etc.).

It's been my experience that administrative procedures in France tend to be quite slow and inefficient, so I can imagine how going from French standards to the US would seem very easy.

I can't necessarily say from personal experience about living in Russia, but from only having visited there (as an American citizen), administrative procedures for just a tourist was one of the most elaborate that I've ever encountered while traveling (to the point that it has deterred me from going back more often, just because I don't want to deal with the hassle). I love both France and Russia, though in this respect there is much to be desired.

Skating-wise, I think it's a little simpler to set up coaching/lessons in the US. From what I could tell, in order to figure skate in France, you have to join a club and pay for the entire year, which includes lessons with the club instructor and ice time. There are exceptions to this (I have heard of skaters paying per session), but I think in general that's usually how it works. (French posters, please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  7. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Nathalie was comparing administrative procedures between the US and Russia, not France ;) If they are a pain in the behind in France, it's absolutely nothing compared to Russia.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

They're facing tougher competition this season than before now that Russian teams, C/P and W/P are very preying for a chance to swoop in championship podiums. I hope they'd keep their positive energy and motivation on the way to Sochi.

9. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't they ? A lot of people seem to have already dumped P/B into fourth place .They had a bit of a poor showing in one competion can't quite remember which one it was where Fabian was really under the weather with flu/bronchitis .Then they had to skate with Nathalie's nose injury.:(
    I don't care what they say they must have held back a little at worlds' plus
    they were pretty close to D/W marks in the SD.
    Good luck N/F :kickass:

10. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

That's precisely the interesting part, what makes competition even more interesting.
    Like Nuge said, why wouldn't they ? They're skating together since 2000, they are both in their 30s, I can hardly imagine them giving up now, when they have achieved maturity and confidence and when they see their main contenders as beatable. Even if they didn't what would there be to lose ? It's their 2 last seasons.