Interview with Misha Ge: "I'm from Earth"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130301&content_id=42134174&vkey=ice_news
  2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

He may be "from earth" but I think his skating style is just heavenly! Can't wait to see him at Worlds! :cheer:
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wishing him the very best at Worlds.
    Misha seems such a mature and focused person. No doubt being a "citizen of the world" has something to do with that.
    I hope his approach and ability to relate to the public brings new audiences to skating, as well.
  4. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I'm really looking forward to see him at Worlds.

He's not the most polished skater out there, but he's so enthusiastic and a breath of fresh air. With some it sometimes feel like a job (which can be understandable actually) - with him, it's always about having fun and involving the audience, without neglecting the technical content either. And you can tell, from his twitter to his interviews, that he has a genuine love for his sport - big respect for that!

Hope he'll :kickass: the way only he can

PS: I just have to :lol: at the comments re: Plushenko's artistry. There's some familiar stuff in there.....
  5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I didn't know he's had problems with obtaining visas for competitions, or that he had competed for China at one time. Bizarre! He was definitely one of the highlights of the 2012 4CCs, his SP was amazing. Hope he does well at Worlds :kickass:
  6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

My god, and I thought my family moved round alot when I was a child :lol:
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He tweets about his visa issues when he has them, and a number of times he's received them at the last minute and has to submit extra paperwork. For a while this fall, visa were his part-time job.

I wish there was a fast-track system for athletes, like NEXUS or GOES, where they could be background-checked in depth and then get clearance by submitting incremental info only.
  10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I just love his enthusiasm. He's so cute on twitter and always seems to appreciate other skaters and the fans so much. I wish him well at Worlds.
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Thank you for these videos. He is very lovable.
  14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

And now it would appear that Ge is from Beijing. So I take it that he is no longer working with Frank Carroll?
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

THX! Good for him! Interesting informations...
  16. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

He hasn't been working with Frank Carroll since late summer/early fall and had been training with his dad in LA.
  17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

His travels remind me of Lucinda Ruh: Born in Switzerland but lived in Japan, China, Canada, the US, and I'm probably missing a few others.
  18. feraina

feraina Active Member

Wow, interesting. I wonder if he's training with the Chinese national team, or at a private rink. Maybe his parents got coaching appointments in Beijing at some of the private clubs?
  19. Sylvia

Interview in July 2013: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/07/interview-with-misha-ge.html
    Misha Ge (UZB) tweeted the link to his FS (Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43 by Sergei Rachmaninoff) from last month's Asian Open comp. in Bangkok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMAZ5eFdas

His SP video link from the same competition (re-posting from the earlier programs thread):
    Misha Ge (UZB) has uploaded his SP video from the Asian Open and written an explanation to go with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5SkJlYnY0
    An excerpt:
  20. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

That's a very nice sp. Especially the the second half. Most expressive. Lp not available on mobile so can't comment. But he seems to be going in the right direction to potentially medal at worlds. :)
  21. Sylvia

Misha Ge tweeted yesterday that he decided to withdraw from this week's Salt Lake Senior B - he received his travel documents too late to make his travel arrangements. You can read his full message here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rmc3hk
  22. Sylvia

From the March 2013 interview (Misha Ge later relocated to Beijing to live and train this past summer):
    Interview excerpts:
    Unfortunately, Ge had to withdraw from last week's Cup of Nice due to more visa/travel paperwork issues. This was the series of tweets on Oct. 10 that explained what happened:
    If only China would invite him to replace Kevin Reynolds at this week's Cup of China in Beijing where he currently lives...
  23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Poor Misha. I love his enthusiasm and hope he gets a chance to skate at Cup of China.
  24. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

Really! Why not!! Misha there competing would be grrrreat!!!
  25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Is it possible? The jury is still out? I would like to see him on COC!! I can't wait the decision!!!
  26. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

No, Ge is not in the starting order
    StN. Name Nation
    Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Yi WANG
    CHN
    2 Peter LIEBERS
    GER
    3 Nan SONG
    CHN
    4 Maxim KOVTUN
    RUS
    Warm-Up Group 2
    5 Han YAN
    CHN
    6 Takahiko KOZUKA
    JPN
    7 Richard DORNBUSH
    USA
    8 Florent AMODIO
    FRA
    9 Denis TEN
    KAZ
  27. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Grand Prix Assignments thread:
    Here's the exchange of tweets:
  28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He seriously has the best attitude. I can't imagine how frustrating getting to/into competitions must be for him.
  29. Sylvia

Re-posting good news from the GP Assignments thread:
    Link: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4904 (he replaced Kevin Reynolds)

Rostelecom Cup will be Ge's Grand Prix debut and he tweeted that he's been working on new programs:
    ETA:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  30. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Wow Misha at COR? :inavoid:
  31. lala

lala Well-Known Member

32. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

While I do applaud Misha's carefree approach in his skating, I am not the biggest fan of his overall look, from the choreography to fashion, hair and make-up choices. But, he's fun, and adds that to the competitions.
  33. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I wasn't much of a fan before, but now I am after PML at Misha's FS music cuts :rofl:

Also love he didn't give a rat's *ss and took a music deduction on purpose :lol: It's great how the judges dinged him for that, but heaped the positive GOE on him for that :kickass: footwork sequence.