Interview With Karen Preston

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Apr 19, 2013.

1. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Had the opportunity to do an interview w/ 2 time Canadian National Champion & Albertville Olympian Karen Preston last night. An absolute sweetheart. Find out what she has to say about the current state of Canadian skating, who she thinks will take home the gold in Sochi and what she's up to these days:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Nice interview! I always liked her skating :D

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^Same here, thought she paid attention to detail and was always enjoyable to watch. What was her SP in the 1992-1993 season? I haven't been able to find it on youtube and I'm curious after her comment that she "finally got to be who [she] really was on the ice" with that program.

4. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I think it might have been "The Seaboy Blues" - she used that at the 1995 Canadian Pros as her TP and it was definitely constructed like an ISU eligible SP. Don't quote me on that though.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's awesome that she has gone back to school to finish her degree. Good for her!

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec: Thanks! I'm glad we got to see her as Snow White in Disney on Ice, too!

7. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting to note, before Patrick Chan, Karen was one of Osborne Colson's last students to win a Canadian national title (1989).

What Karen brought up in the interview pretty much confirms what people suspected during the mid 1990s as it applied to pro competitions and its invitees:

8. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I really think she brought a lot to the table. Too bad her choreography was so horrible. Her shorts were pretty good, but her longs were low grade, especially in 1992 (looked like a juvenile program) and also in 1994.

Someone I know met her a few years ago and spoke to her. She commented that it took her a long time to get over placing 3rd at 94 nats and not going to Lillehammer. I think technically she beat Humphries but her skate was anything but fast and spirited.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That was one of the most hard to watch performances for me, ever. And I don't mean because it was bad, because it wasn't. It was just that as she finished skating you could tell from her body language that she knew she had done well but not well enough. I really felt for her.