Interview with Johny Weir `I can't do a comeback like Pluschenko'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Oct 16, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I woke up and checked the CofR results. Looked at the general info thread first for the link and saw Johnny in last and then realized it was the entries list and that of course the two USA entries were last. Whew, Johnny in 10th...in the entries list only. Then I went to the results page to see where he really placed.

:fragile:

2. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Johnny said because of the politics in skating, Olympics could only allow one American on the podium. Since Lysacek was on there, he himself wouldn't be able to be on there as well.:rofl:

3. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Is Johnny still filming his reality show? Or will he be during this skating season? After Finlandia and his SP here I can't shake the feeling this comeback has more to do with providing footage for his show. Since Vancouver he has consistently fed the idea that he was robbed in Vancouver and that skating needs him to put fans in the stands but when you put out in interviews that your coach told you to just skate around to the music and hit pretty poses instead of actual choreography I can't take him seriously. Seems to me he knows he isn't competitive so he is going to continue the Vancouver myth while mocking the system. They only reason I can think why he would do this is to provide footage for that little show of his.

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny is no longer filming his show, the second season already aired and focused on Johnny's life outside of skating so he did not need to be a competitive skater to film his show. Why is it impossible to believe he returned to competitive skating because he missed skating for a living?

5. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

So he wasn't picked up for a third season? How did the second season do in ratings without skating storyline? I don't get the channel it's shown on so haven't seen the show.

6. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

The second season is awful. The few episodes I caught were just stupid and really contrived. I mean the first season was actually watchable since it followed him during the Olympic season and was basically a continuation of BGJW. As far as ratings- any original programming by Logo that's not Rupaul's Drag Race doesn't really do well.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Since he withdrew, does Johnny still get a bye to nationals? I'm disappointed his comeback didn't go the way he wanted to.

I have to admit, when I read 'injury' I wondered if that was actually embarrassment.

8. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Doesn't he already get a bye for competing in Finlandia Trophy?

9. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Distraught Weir Withdraws from Cup of Russia
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121110/177356335.html

Weir, 28, said he expected crisis talks with his national federation about the Trophee Eric Bompard.

“I’m unsure if they’ll be open to it, simply because I’ve withdrawn from one Grand Prix and the other one could give a chance to another skater that has never competed in a Grand Prix before, so this evening I’ll be sitting on the phone with America all night,” he said.

Weir admitted he is not yet in top competitive form following his decision to return to the competitive circuit after two years away.

“I’ve had problems with my body and my condition since I’ve come back to the sport. I’ve had a very rapid weight loss to get prepared and my body hasn’t completely learned again what it’s like to fall,” he said.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Why would that get him a bye to nationals? (I'm honestly asking, I don't know why it would.)

I think you only get a bye through the competition you have a conflict with. So it makes sense Finlandia might have given him a bye through Regionals, but it would have been CoR that got him through sectionals- however, since he didn't complete CoR, I'm not sure it still counts. Or maybe it does because he did the short.

I would be he and his coach talked about this with the federation before withdrawing. He probably would have skate hurt if he lost the bye, I mean he couldn't have gotten worse than 10th anyway.

11. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Ok, I suppose this is the way it works. I sort of had the idea that competing in an international ISU event would be a pass ta Nationals.

12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

What I've bolded made me chuckle. Ohhhh Johnny, how very true. I'm guessing that between the weight loss, the amount of time since he really trained and him now 28, falling may hurt more now than it used to.

13. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Without getting too much into the CoR skating on this thread, there were some elements of it that I really liked.....
    Would he benefit from some therapy expert to help him get the correct mind set?

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

huh? fix HIS mindset? Is there anyone who's qualified in all the land?

15. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He will have a press conference here at 2.30 (Russian time).

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Tricks up his sleeve (mentioned in ice network article)? Wonder what they might be and if we will ever get to see them. Sorry, he has withdrawn from COR. Did a doctor there evaluate this injury? Sadly, I don't think Johnny is on the "edge of glory".

17. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I heard Johnny re injured his leg after two bad falls at morning practice. From what I read on twitter from fans who were in the rink, Johnny was with the team doctor for a long period of time until it was announced he had withdrawn. I'm guessing they were trying to treat it but were unable to do so which is why he wound up withdrawing. Still no word on TEB

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The dates of Weir's 2 GPs conflict with Eastern Sectionals. Having 2 GP assignments supposedly gave him a bye through North Atlantic Regionals only (although Finlandia Trophy's dates also conflicted). Based on past precedent, Weir should be able to retain his bye through Sectionals due to having traveled to/competed at Rostelecom Cup, though just the SP.

ETA that judiz posted this video of Weir talking about his FS withdrawal early yesterday (thread got moved to the Cup of Russia forum in Kiss and Cry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3zAFpGOC8w

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

ITA. Johnny made the decision to come back to competition for himself and his fans. It's not about television shows and other opportunities beyond skating (there have been plenty of off-ice offers Johnny could have taken advantage of instead of deciding to make a comeback). IMO, both Johnny and Evan have a love for the sport and perhaps they each have found it hard to let go of competitive skating as part of their lives. It is a challenge that most athletes (and dancers as well) have to face.

Johnny made his decision and he's backed it up. He has put in the hard work and he had a credible debut at Finlandia Trophy. It's unfortunate that the road back has not been as smooth as he had hoped. I wish both Johnny and Evan success in their respective comebacks. Whether or not either of them will ultimately be successful in competing at Sochi Olympics, they should both feel a sense of accomplishment in what they have achieved over the course of their careers. I do wish there was a professional competitive tour for veterans like Johnny, Evan, Plushenko, and Lambiel.

judiz and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Sorry. I think he made the decision to come back for the same reason he has made EVERY decision since Vancouver....,publicity.

IMHO Weir believes all the stuff he spouts about being robbed. The fact that it has no reality basis is irrelevant.

I wish that my first reaction to his withdrawal was not "here we go again".

(and as for his TV shows, I could not stand to watch any of them. )

I loved his skating but the act has just gotten old

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Why "Sorry." You're essentially questioning Johnny's integrity, so what's the point of saying, "sorry," when you don't mean it. What you or any of us here believe have very little to do with who Johnny is and what motivates him and the reasons why he makes the decisions that he makes. It's his life.

IMO, Johnny is a very caring and talented person who has brought a great deal of joy and special moments to the lives of many people. I applaud him for living his life out loud and with conviction and the courage to be himself. Your negative views of Johnny are definitely in the minority ... not necessarily here perhaps but in the world at large.

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You know, I'm beginning to think that people who seek the spotlight do so to get attention. I think this would make a great thesis, because I don't believe any human has ever made this point before.

I also love objectivity.

Hmm, yes. But what is it about this "old schtick" that draws us in, makes us open up threads, read them, and post in them so often? It's so old and boring, but draws us in so temptingly! A question for the ages, no?

gkelly, skatemomaz, LadyNit and 3 others like this.
  23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Having met Johnny several times I agree. I found him to be very kind and patient with his fans, remembering their names and making them feel special. Earlier today (Russian time), Johnny and his husband spent four hours meeting and answering questions from his fans, how many skaters do you know who would do that?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting this link from Kiss and Cry (interview was before today's CoR exhibition):

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

26. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Hope springs eternal... I keep hoping he will get back to what I enjoyed and away from the "act for attention"

He had the ability to really maximize the points system, but he never has. He has beautiful basic skating and used to do great programs that under 6.0 weren't really rewarded. So they bring out a system that's SUPPOSE to rewards spins, transitions etc.. and he suddenly seems to lose those. :( (Plus watching Weir lately is kind of like a train wreck "what will he do next for attention' The lady Gaga get ups etc.. :) )

Trash away, my fireproof suit is on.

27. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

My first reaction to his bomb in the SP was "I bet he withdraws." It was kind of funny when my friend looked up results on his phone while out for Sat night dinner, dropped the phone and I spewed my drink because, "Oh My God Liz you were right!!!" :lol:

And awfully predictable. :eek:

Johnny was really at his prime physically 2004-2006 and he didn't captialize, perhaps the introduction of CoP in that timeframe killed him. He's right about one thing - he can't mount a comeback like Plushenko. Few have that type of mental or physical makeup, especially not Johnny who has always been too fragile and too sensitive in both categories to max out his real potential. The only time he did was 2004, when he showed up at Nationals focused, prepared and with nothing to lose, ditto 2004 Worlds. Once people were again talking him seriously as a real World/Oly medal candidate in the 05 season, all the little mistakes, physical irritations, distractions, rumors of his non-optimal training habits, etc. started creeping back little by little.

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

How do you know if Carolla means it or not?

But apparently everything you believe or know about him is right.

29. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I always thought it was a lousy break for skaters working towards 2006, that CoP was implemented a year prior to the Olympics. It was the same as compulsory figures being phased out in 1991. It favored a completely different kind of skater.

The US was one of the last countries to implement CoP scoring at the national level as well, as they were still using the 6.0 format at the 2005 Championships.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

This is why skaters like Even and Johnny who took a couple years off and now are trying to comeback will probably fail. That much time away from competition and age is catching up with them. Add in that neither Even or Johnny could do quads even when they were younger and i don't see a lot of success for either of them.