Interview with Fumie Suguri

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Jun 9, 2010.

1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

This interview is from Japan Skates.

http://www.japanskates.com/blog/?p=636

I'm so glad to know Fumie is healthy at the moment!

Go, go Fumie!

:cheer2:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That was a really lovely interview, thanks for sharing. :)

I am hoping for more longevity from her than the Protopopovs. :D

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Thanks for the link to the interview. Fumie has always been my fave Japanese ladies skater. I'm glad she's continuing and I hope she has a good season. :)

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I didn't know there's a jump she hates more than the loop! :lol:

From landing her first triple at 15 and then medalling at GPs in 1998 she has gone a long way.

5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

What a thoughtful interview! A great answer to the "why doesn't she just retire" crowd. I love that she wants to give back to the Federation and help younger skaters.

I'm glad she's back with Lori Nichol again. Aside from that unfortunate Rach LP, everything else she's choreographed for Fumie has been very good. I hope she can find a good coach. How about Mr. Sato again? That would be a nice full circle.

7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Great interview. Love my Fumie! :encore:

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I was surprised too because if I remember correctly, she performs a salchow in the FS but haven't been attempting the loop for a while now.

9. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

thanks !

10. Artifice

Artifice Guest

It's quite surprising that skaters at this level seem to have issues finding a coach. Fumie doesn't seem to have any help for choreography from her federation neither.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Considering how many coaches Fumie has been through in the last several years, I would be inclined to think that the problem might be lying at her side. :shuffle:

12. Artifice

Artifice Guest

It's a possibility as well.

13. ros01

ros01 New Member

Interesting. I'm surprised to hear that pro shows are not as popular in Japan. I mean, they can only have so many competitions, and I thought with Shizuka's popularity after the OGM, and how people have followed Mao's career, shows would have a great audience. I wish her the best.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I figure Japan is probably too small for any profitable and lasting round-the-country touring.

Perhaps a continental tour with the Japanese, Yuna Kim and the Chinese pairs can be very popular? And then it can make its stops in NA and Europe. You know, they are all Olympic and world medalists and what not.

Cast:

Kim
    Asada
    Ando
    Arakawa
    Murakami
    Ota
    Takahashi
    Oda
    Kozuka
    Hanyu
    Shen & Zhao
    Pang & Tong
    Zhang & Zhang
    Lu Chen / Yuka Sato as guests etc

:swoon:

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Glad to see no bashing in this thread. Well, not much anyway.

16. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've missed Fumie, she has been one of my favourites over the years. I will glad to (I hope) see her skate again next season, even better, it would be wonderful to see her skate well - the best IMO would be if she
    made the world team. Miki and Suzuki can't really compete with her artistically when she's at her best.

I love this idea and would definitely pay to see the show. However, I wonder if SOI and CSOI have a say in what shows from abroad are permitted to perform in Canada and the US? An Asian SOI would be direct competition for SOI and CSOI, both of which are struggling financially. From the producers' point of view it would make more sense to feature Asian skating starts in their own show, as opposed to letting them start in their own.