Interview with Dick Button and pictures of his amazing apartment and skating art!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ajax, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I did a quick check but this doesn't seem to have been posted: A New York Times interview, post-Sochi, with Dick Button. The interview itself is extremely short but the accompanying pictures are incredible. I did not know that he had a giant (14 room!!!!) apartment on the Upper East Side which seems beautiful. And I looooove all the skating art shown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/garden/dick-button-still-cuts-a-fine-figure.html

2. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Thanks!

3. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this! He is so fun, and I'm in awe of all the artwork. It's like a museum.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The hallway looks seriously like it belongs in the Louvre or something.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

"Sassy jackets!" Even at HIMSELF...I love Uncle Dick. So glad I got his autograph (and Tenley's!) at SCOB once.

6. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Great article. Thanks!

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for posting that short, sweet and sassy article, Ajax! The accompanying photos are simply marvelous, and Dick Button is quite remarkable, funny, witty, a genius, a walking skating and cultural history encyclopedia, a serious collector of superbly wonderful art and artifacts. Would be so very cool and inspiring to attend a gathering in his spectacular abode! Well, I can dream, can't I? To meet Dick up close and personal again, and to see up close that historic bronze statue of Gustave Lussi ... indeed a dream!

Right on Mr. Button, re your Q&A with the NYT writer. :)

8. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

:rofl: he's the best.

9. Nadya

Nadya New Member

Er...I want to know if commentating really pays that well, or if he had family money. A 14-room Upper East Side apartment!! Dick, please marry me!!

10. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

No offense Nadya, but I think I'd have a better shot at Dick than you would. ;)

Nadya and (deleted member) like this.
  11. aftershocks

Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.

Whether or not his family had a lot of money, Dick has been savvy at parlaying his Olympic successes and his passion for figure skating into lucrative enterprises, but most of all into a great education for several generations of skating fans. :)

And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???

13. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I believe that your analysis is accurate.
    I'm glad that DB is able to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of work,

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Not just Harvard, but also Harvard Law School. Dick is also involved with a number of charities and you'll frequently see his name high on the donor list for skating related charities including the Memorial Fund.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nice place, Mr. Button!

17. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:lol:

18. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

The second photo is truly beautiful.

19. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I would love a mug of ale, some fine cheese, and a tour. :summer:

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I doubt Dick paid as little for his place as this couple did, but even adjusting for inflation, I imagine it cost a lot less when he bought it than it would now. And regardless, I'm sure that he's financially comfortable considering his background, fame, and years of hard work.

The artwork is cool.

21. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Lovely interview with his typical anecdotes of humour, and the photos are gorgeous (thanks for posting the article Ajax). :)

One thing I adore about Mr. Button is his old-fashionedness, and I bet he is old school when it comes to talking about money, especially his own, which is a no-no when it comes to etiquette: "you don't talk about money and you certainly don't boast about your own wealth especially during a recession." It's considered crass, amongst other things. :D

I agree with him that Johnny Weir is the one most like him. :cool: I look forward to more of Johnny's commentary! :cheer:

22. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Dick has fabulous taste in art. I wish we could see that portrait at the end of the hall better.

Dick has had several successful business ventures over the years. I'm guessing his contract with ABC was a nice one. I'm thinking his major source of income was here -

In 1999 he sold the company in and "all cash" transaction. Dick was always a smart businessman.

23. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Has there ever been a more passionate figure skating fanatic?!? :swoon:

24. skatesindreams

Never!
    He made it "appropriate" for us to join him, also.

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  25. aftershocks

THIS!

^^ :) Yep, Dick made fs shine for all us hooked newbies back in the day.

There was never enough events or enough coverage ... Come to think of it, that scenario has kinda come full circle today, in the U.S. at least, despite all the online alternatives. IMHO, the sport itself is still somewhat stuck in the dark ages re its full possibilities and lack of realization of its great potential. I sure miss Dick's enthusiasm and his knowledge. Maybe he will write another book. :encore:

ETA:

Thanks Zemgirl for that quite interesting article link about Peggy Mann and her husband who were urban revival pioneers whose heirs are now selling their parents 1960s renovated $18,000 brownstone for $5 million. During the 1970s, banks started stocking up on abandoned Harlem brownstones, which of course now sell for at least over a million or more these days.

Has Dick Button won more than one Emmy? When did he win?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

Aww love Dick Button. Glad it seems like he's been financially successful (I'm sure by 14-room apartment they're counting living rm, dining rm, den etc. into that figure, but still, esp. for a pied de terre - GO Dick!).

Sad that NBC didn't ask him to be involved in Sochi. I can understand their bringing on fresh blood like Tara, Johnny and Tanith, but frankly I'd much rather listen to/watch a less-COP-knowledgeable Mr. Button than the just-as-COP-unaware but also flat Scott and Sandra.

27. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Are we sure they didn't ask him? Maybe he, like Mr. Nicks, didn't want to travel that far anymore.

28. lulu

lulu New Member

That apartment is gorgeous! I bet it could almost rival almost any collection for skating art.

29. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

NO. His Torino 2006 commentary was bitter and irrelevant. He retired at the right time.

30. skatesindreams

^^^
    That is your opinion.
    Not everyone agrees with you.