Interstate 5 bridge collapses in Washington State

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, May 24, 2013.

1. LadyM76

LadyM76 New Member

I love to eat in Fairhaven.....yummmmm.

I live in Bellingham and only go south towards Seattle when absolutely needed. Now with the bridge out, I am even more thankful that I don't need to go down there for anything.

I think lots of Canadian shoppers already stay in Bellingham to shop. I haven't noticed an increase so far though, but then again I don't work in retail.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

If the primary purpose of my trip is shopping, I don't go further than Bellingham. I have zero interest in the types of stores & merchandise -- not to mention the whole "feel" -- at the outlet malls. But I don't know how typical a shopper I am.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

When it comes to shopping and getting gas, I stay in Bellingham.

The Outlet mall does not have many deals (although my mom loves the Coach Outlet). Actually, the outlets in BC will likely have better deals.

I love Fairhaven as well. Downtown Bellingham is lovely also--a wonderful ice cream shop.

4. Artemis@BC

Alberta driver.

(Back in the day when Alberta had yellow licence plates, we had a joke when out-of-province folks would see the occasional yellow plates and ask what they meant. We used to say that those were the ones we gave to the really bad drivers. :D )

5. Artemis@BC

The temporary replacement bridge opened this morning. story

It's narrower so traffic has to slow to 40 mph to cross ... but that's still better than the 2+ hours of detour folks were facing!

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I've taken Bolt Bus several times since the bridge collapse, and the northbound detour route goes along the road in Burlington with any big box stores, premium oulets, and traffic lights, and, even so, the longest detour was 30 minutes going southbound through lots of farmland. (I was half expecting to see a sign to Boise.). Watching the bottleneck going further south than the bus, I wish that we could continue to take the detour route until the permanent bridge is up, because at least we were moving :slinkaway. Maybe buses will be classified as "oversized vehicles."

Sad news about the state trooper.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013