International Adult Event - Melbourne Australia February 2012

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Aussie Willy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Attention all Adult Skaters.

We are hosting an international adult event here next year in February. The entry forms and announcement are now on our state association website. Please scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://iceskatingvictoria.org/web/forms.htm

If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask.

Also any judges and technical panel people who would like to come are welcome. We can't pay you but we may be able to assist with accommodation.
  2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I so wish! Maybe one day, when I can afford a trip around the world. Hope you get lots of entries!
  3. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Yes, best of luck with the event! I hope you get a great draw of athletes from many nearby countries, and farther away.

It won't bod well this year as I simply don't have the cash... but perhaps 2013-2015 I may be able to make it. Who doesn't want to be in the Southern Hem. in February, anyway?

I'm extra excited to see you are including the younger adults. Some of the international adult competitions start only at age 25 or 27, I believe. I turn 26 today. ;)

Off to adjust my savings-plan budget for the next 6 years incase I decide to do this :yikes:... Somehow need to fit in the Nebelhorn competition too (once I'm of age) in the next 5-6 years, ideally... :scream:

What "level" of judges are you looking for? Would a judge also be permitted to also compete in events?
  4. Aussie Willy

The plan is to have this event every second year. So hopefully word of mouth will go around and people will save to come next time. We would love as many overseas competitors as possible.

In Australia adults start at 18 (the age that people can start to drink). We have had quite a few skaters who once they reach that then consider they will skate as an adult instead of competing in the other competition streams. And this year adults are part of the National Championships. Last year it was a demonstration event.

I know the ISU rules say that judges probably shouldn't compete, but I don't think that would be a problem for us. I competed once this year and we do have judges who still compete, mainly in adult divisions.

As for levels, I suppose as long as you have done a bit of judging under IJS and particularly adults, then I don't have a problem with that either. I will be organising those.
  5. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Please update us after the competition and let us know how it went. Best wishes for a successful competition!
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. Best of luck! :)
  7. Aussie Willy

I had someone ask me about accommodation so thought I would post this for anyone who is thinking of coming.

I can recommend a very reasonably priced hotel which is about 5 minutes drive from the rink but if you wanted to walk it is probably a half hour walk. It is called the Miami Hotel and I stayed there last year for our Nationals (even though I live in Melbourne I needed somewhere close to the city as I as living with my mum at the time who was over an hour away from the city). The website is http://www.themiami.com.au/. I got a room for about $80-90 per night. The rooms are a bit small but they had a very large bed. And it was exceptionally clean!

You could also do a google search on Docklands Accommodation to see what else comes up.