Interesting article: consumerism and want vs. need

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Nov 25, 2011.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Okay, so parents are off the hook :)

But, I still don't think it's wasteful to not eat something because it's too spicy. Especially, kids or people with sensitive mouths or stomachs. It's not about like/dislike, it could be painful. Some people are more sensitive to spicy, than others. I am assuming you are meaning hot spicy, not just flavor.

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

So the children should be forced to eat it? What do you think should be done?

3. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

If somebody asked to borrow a suitcase to go on holiday, I'd tell them to f*ck off and buy their own suitcase.

4. milanessa

We already knew that, allezfred. :rofl:

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Well, I *did* say that if she travels often enough then eventually it would have been more cost-effective to have bought her own suitcase in Chinatown. If she never travels anywhere then she could happily live without one, I agree.

I live in a glorified studio so I know all about how valuable domestic real estate is. The nice thing about having a suitcase in your tiny little patch of paradise is that it can be used to store stuff - like bedsheets, towels, out of season clothes, frying pans, that sort of thing.

Yeah, bread makers! Now you're talking! That would be a great investment for her because then she can start a little side business and undercut the grocer. Even better than renting out a suitcase for a box of chocolate! If the grocer is selling a loaf of bread for $20 then she can sell her loaves for $18 and make a killing since a big chunk of her overhead (rent) is already taken care of. After the cost of materials are deducted she may even clear a 50-cent profit. Not bad for a business run right there on her countertop.

6. jlai

jlai Title-less

As i said the kids could easily let others eat it
    you really have to see the situation instead of going by a summary
    the meat was fresh (eta) off the pit
    kids took a bunch with spice visible on top and just threw it away eta: almost immediately
    The non spicy kind was in the other batch

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. milanessa

I do see your point, jlai, but I, for one, do not want some kids leftovers. My own kids maybe but they wouldn't take what they won't eat anyway.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

But they were not leftovers
    they were meat off the pit like 10 secs ago that just went to trash

9. cruisin

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am high fiving you!

I agree with Milanessa, if they were my kids, I'd take what they didn't eat, but after they took it they couldn't put it back. As far as taking the spicy, instead of the non-spicy - did they know there was another batch? Are these young kids? They may not have understood that the meat would be too spicy for them.

It may be that these kids are wasteful in many situations, and you may have a very valid point, I just don't know that this example says wasteful.

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

Let's start with me first. I am careless and I'm wasteful--that was what my parents told me as a kid, because I was clumsy and I could not peel my apples razor thin and I didn't always finish every lump of rice on my plate. According to my parents' generation (that went through war and hunger), that was very wasteful.

My grandma considered my mom wasteful because mom didn't reuse her corn kernel and orange peel and lots of things we normally now toss without batting eyelash.

My nephews' generation now throw away things we didn't consider waste in my generation and that's why I now call them wasteful--though I was perfectly wasteful by my parents' standard, and my parents were wasteful by their parents'.

So you get my point-- as society gets wealthier there're lots of social conventions and systems and lifestyle changes that make people throw things away that were reused one generation ago. The problem is that when everyone around us sees reusing as not nice/unhygienic/other reasons then throwing away is socially acceptable--but then if everyone consumes like those kids do, we need four earths to sustain it, that is all.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

OMG I think we have the same parents. :rofl: I'm so brainwashed that I have to tell myself that if food smells bad, I HAVE to throw it out. If it doesn't smell bad, it's still on the table. :eek: It's definitely a cultural thing, because my former roommate loved to cook but he hated to eat leftovers, even food that was just 2 days old. I got free food from him a few times. :D

I just finished some leftovers yesterday that were probably 2 weeks old. :shuffle:

I haven't yet started to save chicken bones to make broth though. I don't eat nearly enough boned chicken and there's barely enough room in my fridge to keep it. Otherwise I totally would. :rofl:

If I was given barbequed meat that was too spicy, I'd rub off as much of the sauce as I could, and/or wash it off a little with water. Or give it to my bf. :rofl:

But besides the cultural nitpicking, jlai I think has a good point. But besides that, sometimes it just makes sense to buy new instead of trying to re-use or fix the old. Take my inkjet photo printer for example - $30 on Craigslist, but has only printed in color correctly a total of 3 times. (First it was too much magenta, now it won't print magenta at all.) It's probably better to just buy a new printer instead of spending hours trying to fix an old one (believe me, I've tried), which is sad because there's just something little inside that could be fixed or replaced, but fixing it would be more expensive than buying a new one! :mad: Not to mention the lost time.

I'm letting go for that godforsaken printer as soon as I've used up the ink for it, printing solely in extremely green casts. :eek:

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Maybe you can make a soup out of the printer carcass to make up for the lack of chicken bones. :D

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

14. cruisin

I do get your point. My parents grew up during the depression, they had very little. Consequently, my parents always stocked up, so that they would never be without. The problem with that is eventually, when you buy too much, things get wasted, they go bad. I am not wasteful, but I will not keep left over meat/chicken more than 3 days. Vegetables, I keep until they begin to get soft. Breads, till I see mold. Dairy gets used too fast, in my house, to go bad. But, I have had food poisoning from bad meats, 3 days, it's in the trash!

As for spicy, I would never serve something spicy to a large group of people, too many people can't eat spicy.

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

No, no, buy a used cake pop maker! :lol:

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont understand, they took a bite and didnt want it. you think others should eat it after it was in their mouths or touched by their mouths?

and ita w fred, get your own damn suitcase cheapskate

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

I am 95% sure they never took a bite, but I won't swear to it in court. Now at home, even if a bite was taken (which I am 95% sure didn't happen), the other pieces that the kids took but didn't eat could go on their parents' plates (which is the norm at my house).
    Anyway, this has been discusssed to death already. What's acceptable trash is cultural and social norms is also partly why modern societies create so much garbage. By the time the kids get to old age they may end up with a landfill near them the way they are going. And it's really not just the meat. I see them on a regular basis and they simply need three times the stuff I used to need at their age. It's just that "wasteful" is an ugly word that no one wants to see applied to kids.

But the last time I went to see my Chinese friends every one said I was wasteful. It's just that I'm not as bad as the relatives I have down here and so by comparison I don't know iI'm wasteful-- until my Chinese friends and Thai friends in Asia point that out to me. By any Asian standards I should be ashamed of myself but I can complain about all my relatives I have around me. But does that make me feel better? hmmm.

ETA: ANyway as I said you have to see the incident instead of going by a one paragraph summary. Even the person doing the BBQ was appalled.

18. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

What I buy: A perfectly rational purchase based on need, time/money saved and enduring pleasure it gives me/others/the world. My purchases make the world a better place, and sunshine and daisies and Skittles pop out of my ass whenever the register dings for I am a Good Citizen. :saint:

What others buy: Unnecessary items that are overpriced junk; a wasteful and greedy exercise that takes food from orphans in Uganda and contributes to the downfall of civilization, manners and the behavior of "kids today." If others would stop being so consummerist, the world would be a better place. :mitchell:

GMAFB. Most of y'all in here need to get off your f-ing high horses. Seriously, you're talking about not being affected by consumerism, want or greed on the internet on a figure skating board, where I know most of the posters in this thread have spent serious $$$ for icenetwork, cable and/or going to events at the tune of hundreds of bucks to watch people gad about in sparkles to bad music.

How well would those decisions stand up to public scrutiny? And why is it anyone else's business what one spends their money on? For every judgement you make about how someone else chooses to use their paycheck, that person could make the same judgement about your choices. :blah:

Habs, Stormy, purple skates and 11 others like this.
  19. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I find that most people can justify anything the DO…. :D.

Were the end-tables “chippendale”? Was the computer chair by Breuer?
    Most of my artwork and decorative objects are also used… :)

20. cruisin

:lol: You nailed it! I would only add: there are also some here who have spent $$$ on skating themselves or their kid's skating - wonder if anyone thinks that's wasteful. :D

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Maybe.

Xmas is coming. This really is a perfect time to discuss consumerism. If we can't criticize something unless we're perfect ourselves then this skating board will cease to exist for lack of topics. ;)

My Chinese friends pick on me re: my consuming habits and it's a good thing. In return, I don't think it's wrong to pick on my family and make them consume less.

Anyway, back to consumption and consumerism:

How Thanksgiving Became the Holy Day of Consumerism: Echoes
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ecame-the-holy-day-of-consumerism-echoes.html

22. milanessa

Sounds like nagging to me. :yikes:

23. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

What, no glitter? What kind of figure skating fan are you, anyway?!

;)

Yeah, ragging on people for their choices is never okay in my book. Having a reasonable discussion about consumerism is okay, but in the end we're talking about adults who are free to make their own decisions.

24. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

:respec::respec::cheer::40beers: You said this so much better than any attempt I could have made.

25. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:rofl: The end tables were co-worker garage sale (although they do fit perfectly with the other stuff in my living room) and the computer chair is 1990's leftover office. Still works great and is still comfy so it's all good. ;)

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

Family nags all the time. That's what family does. And they just came to my house and told me how I should get new ovens (including my nephews' mom ). (And I mumbled about her kids wasting food behind her back...bad auntie. :) )

As to friends nagging, well, in some way I find it refreshing because my immediately family sometimes let me do things I really shouldn't do. Had friends tiptoed around the subject I would never have reflected on my decisions.

But to each their own...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  27. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Not all families. :shuffle:

28. milanessa

That's just weird, IMO.

As MacMadame said, there are ways to have constructive, informative discussions about things without nagging.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:rofl: :EVILLE:

Oh, I am PAINFULLY aware of how much irrational shit I have bought over the years. I have been applying to jobs in New York City. In (still solely optimistic) preparation for significant downsizing, I've started to clean out a lot of my drawers and cubbies. After 7 years in a 2BR apartment, there is SO MUCH JUNK ZOMG. Who needs a device to turn hardboilded eggs into cube shapes? This girl, apparently. :yikes: Losing and regaining 80 pounds in the space of 3 years has led to quite the motley collection of clothes, not to mention all those years of working at Pier 1. I just like my tchotchkes, okay?!?!?!

I keep looking at all this stuff and thinking "oh, I bought crap instead of having money in savings. NICE GOING. :duh:"

30. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

:respec:

I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about how I spend my money. It's mine, I earned it, and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.

So there...:p