Insurance for Smart Phone--Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Ageless, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Ageless

Ageless Active Member

Has anyone ever gotten insurance on their smartphone? I recently purchased a refurbished phone (which I'm loving). I'm wondering if it's worth getting insurance. The cost of the refurbished phone equals about 4 months of premiums. The model phone I have carries a deductible of $199. Does anyone have any experience with phone insurance and in your opinion is it worth the cost?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It seems like it would make more sense to just 'self insure' and buy a new phone if you need to. Doesn't seem very likely it will break in 4 months, and the deductible is pretty high, IMO.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Unless the phone is in a high theft zone (open locker, shared charging cubby) or used where thefts are rampant, it's cheaper to self insure. Unless its a super duper, latest greatest, you can buy a refurb for less than the deductible.

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It's a complete waste of money. At those prices you can buy a brand new phone even outside the plan if needed...but after 17 years of cell phone use I would have never used it.

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I have been an Iphone user since they came out. I have never bought insurance, and I have never lost my phone or had it stolen. The one time I had to replace one for a dead battery it cost me $70. However, one of the executives where I work has lost her IPhone several times. The first time she did not have insurance and it cost her $700 to replace it (the "retail" price of the phone).

If you are prone to losing or damaging your phone and have a contract, I would check the contract to see how much a replacement phone costs and then weigh the cost of insurance against that. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with insurance.

6. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

I think if you're careful with it, you should be fine without the insurance. I have an iPhone 4 that's about 2 years old now, don't use a case, and I haven't had a problem. Then again, I treat it like a baby. A $600 baby :D

7. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

The deductible is very high. :/

I've had terrible luck with iPhones - had my 3 replaced under warranty once, then had it stolen, and then went through four(!) iPhone 4 models (all under warranty - and bizarre issues, too) until the phone portion of my iPhone 4 mysteriously stopped working after 2.5 years. I'm gentle on phones and didn't cause any trauma to the ones that broke.

I debated insurance on the 5, just because I've had some much bad luck, but it just doesn't make sense from a cost-benefit analysis.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^ So what will it take to convince you to make the switch to android ? :)

9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Here, here. The Galaxy S phones are superior to any iPhone.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I LOVED my Android Incredible. My husband has a Galaxy now, and despite being a bit big, it is fabulous.

I got an Iphone 4, and it seems alright, I'd rather have an Android though as I don't care for Apple's policies and there are a few functional things I miss, sadly, my nephews pretty much only communicate with me via Facetime, so the Iphone was necessary.

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy might have a cheap personal articles coverage -- I think mine is $89/year to cover a laptop against the normal things and spills, drops and other damage. I know that I could have included a smart phone, but mine is one of the dumb kind still. (Though I'm thinking about buying one of the smart kind with a pre-paid plan, which looks hugely cheaper than the regular cell plans.)

12. Ageless

Ageless Active Member

Mine is a Galaxy SIII and I love it. Like Jeff, I treat like a baby. My husband has an Iphone 4, but we both like mine better.

Thanks for the input everyone. I really didn't think the insurance was necessary, but was just wondering if there was an angle I hadn't considered.