Inoue, Baldwin withdraw from NHK Trophy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by crzesk8dad, Aug 21, 2010.

1. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

"By icenetwork.com staff writers
    (08/20/2010) - Rena Inoue and John Baldwin have withdrawn from their sole ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series event -- the NHK Trophy.

Inoue and Baldwin are the 2004 and 2006 U.S. pairs champions. Famously, Baldwin proposed to Inoue on the ice at the 2008 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

They are the first team to land a throw triple Axel in history, at the 2006 State Farm U.S. Championships. They are also the first team to land the throw triple Axel at the Olympic Winter Games (2006) and World Championships (2006).

They missed making the 2010 U.S. Olympic team after a third-place at the 2010 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
    "

Question for those who may know: Who would be next to replace them?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

3. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

I thought they retired :shuffle:

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  4. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

I guess they didn't.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wonder why they withdrew?

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:rofl:

What a flattering picture.

7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

It's not too certain, esp. since the JSF picks the replacement and not USFSA.

Potential replacements with 1 GP so far are:
    Brodeur/Mattatall CAN
    Dong/Wu CHN (skate the next weekend in Canada)
    Castelli/Shnapir USA (skate the next weekend in Canada)
    Kemp/King GBR
    Yankowskas/Coughlin USA
    Novik/Kuznetsov RUS
    Martiusheva/Rogonov RUS (skate the next weekend in Canada)
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN
    Simpson/Miller USA
    Hole/Johnson CAN
    Sulej/Chruscinski POL
    Lawrence/Swiegers CAN (skate the next weekend in Canada)
    Zhang/Toth USA (do not have a GP yet)

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I thought John and Caitlin were going to China and SA (?)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

AFAIK, Yankowskas/Coughlin's rumored 2nd assignment to Skate America has not been made official yet (i.e., it's not published on either the USFS or ISU site).

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wonder if that means John and Rena are retiring

11. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

please let it true, please let it be true, please let it be true....

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Can they keep receiving their Team Envelope funding if they withdraw from NHK just because they want to, but still compete at Nationals? Not quite sure how it works and at what point you relinquish your funding. Or maybe they are withdrawing from NHK for a specific reason and we don't know about it.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Yes, AFAIK.

IF I/B retire or elect not to compete this season by not registering for the qualifying season by Sept. 1st, then I believe they would relinquish their Team B envelope funding.

14. nekkidgator

nekkidgator New Member

Um, is there really a pair team named Hole and Johnson???? LOL they are my new favorites for their name alone! Sounds like a Jay Leno headlines bit where dirty wedding names are sent in :)

15. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I/B have represented the US well over the years (his interviews aside), but if their withdrawal means more chances for Castelli/Shnapir, Zhang/Toth, and Donlan/Speroff, I'm all for it! Go new awesome teams!!! :cheer2:

16. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I was kind of happy to see them on the events list this year. I wanted to see how long they could go!

17. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Because Geritol pulled out as a sponsor...

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You guys are mean :p.

I&B gave solid performances last year at Nationals. An argument could be made that they should've gone to Vancouver instead of the 2nd place couple.

19. blue_idealist

Yes. I personally hope they stay this season.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

FS yes... SP not so much (and it proved costly).

21. blue_idealist

Yep, Kaleigh Hole and Adam Johnson. lol.

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Not sure what is so funny about Hole and Johnson. Anyone want to PM me? :lol:

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I can tell you that "johnson" is a slang for a part of the male's anatomy ;).

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Thank you for those who have "instructed" me. I guess I am too naive. :lol:

That is quite the coincidence..

25. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

E/L did as well or even better than I/B would've done at the Olympics. I thought that E/L's performance at Nationals was a fluke, but I guess they proved me wrong.

26. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I respect I/B's career, but I totally agree with this statement. The last time I/B were even at Worlds they were 10th in 2008, and they had lessened their difficulty in their programs since then.

At least they withdrew with plenty of time for a team to replace them at NHK. And if they do end up retiring, at least they ended with a great final free skate at Nationals!

27. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I thought E/L skated much better at the Olympics than they did at Nationals, where they had several mistakes. One could definitely make a case that I/B should have been sent to the Olympics over E/L based on how these teams skated in Spokane. Both teams had multiple errors in the SP, and I/B may have skated better overall in the long.

I don't mind if I/B continue competing or not, but I really do find their longevity admirable and inspiring. No matter how old they get, they always seem to be competitive for one of the top spots at Nationals and keep the younger teams on their toes, so good for them if they chose to continue.

28. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Evora/Ladwig:
    SP: Ladwig two-footed SBS 3T. Evora two-footed throw 3-Loop. +GOEs on all other elements. No falls.
    LP: Ladwig singled second jump of SBS 3T-2T. Evora fell on throw 3-Lutz. +2 GOE on their signature lift.

Inoue/Baldwin:
    SP: Inoue fell on throw 3-Axel. Baldwin "stopped" (he says he hit a rut in the ice) in the SBS spin. Negative GOEs on a "crashy" triple twist.
    LP: Baldwin doubled the SBS 3T and got a total of 0.70 for the element. Negative GOEs again on a "crashy" triple twist. Negative GOEs on the throw 3-Axel.

I/B did win the LP but points were not enough to cover the point differentials in the SP. I/B had better PCS than E/L in both SP and LP, but E/L had better TES. Which is why I don't understand the "wuzrobbed" comments.

While I/B did land the throw 3-Axel in the LP, E/L lifts were superior and scored a total of 22.70 points compared to I/B's 19.23 points - a difference of 3.47 points. One of their lifts was scored 9.15 while I/B throw 3-Axel got 7.82 points.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Why did the throw 3A get minus GOE? That was a beauty.

Anyway, I agree with the results too. E/L were ranked 3rd in the free, but their superior short kept them in second overall. I don't have a problem with that...COP requires consistency. Had this been 6.0, I/B would have been 2nd overall.

30. apollo13

apollo13 Member

My understanding was (and I am just quoting here) - the entry was "telegraphed" and the landing was forward and "scratchy". Four of nine judges gave it a -1.0 and one judge gave it a +1.