Inline skate recommendations for small feet?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Bunny_Hop, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

Hi everyone! I'm moving to a city without an ice rink, so I'm hoping to switch to inline skating.

I currently have secondhand inlines that don't fit very well. On those, I can do forward and backward skating, two-foot hops and forward crossovers (sorta), and have made semi-successful attempts at mohawks, spirals, lunges and backward crossovers. On ice, I was just starting salchows.

What I want to get out of the inlines:

1. Being able to do all of the above moves, plus potentially waltz jumps, three turns and spreadeagles. I'd like to be able to eventually skate like this girl: http://www.youtube.com/user/cparkluver - not fancy in terms of jumps and spins, but so fast and graceful (but not in a bikini. If she falls - ooooooow!)

2. Some general stroll-skating along bike trails.

Complicating factor: I have quite flat feet, so most skates' ankle straps don't strap down snugly over the join between my ankle and foot. It's kind of hard to explain, but you know how some people's feet kind of have an incline joining their foot and ankle. In mine, it's basically a 90 degree angle! Also, my feet aren't very tall, by which I mean - gross example warning - if I trod on a nail, for example, it wouldn't have to be very long to go all the way through my foot.

The inline that seems most able to accommodate this is the Rollerblade Tempest 90W, described as "low profile". However, since my feet are also really small, I'm worried that 90mm wheels would be relatively very big and negatively affect maneuverability. My feet are only 23cm (9 inches) long, so 4 x 90mm wheels would presumably extend at least 14cm (almost 6 inches) out the front and/or back!

Mainly my questions are:

1. When people say "performance" inlines (eg. this is a category on Rollerblade site), do they mean this sort of low-level artistic footwork I want to do?
    2. Are 4 x 90mm wheels going to be super long and unwieldy on a 23cm foot?
    3. Does anyone know if any companies make boot/wheel combos geared toward smaller/flatter feet? The problem is that smaller wheels/wheel frames seem to be associated with more beginner/lower impact styles, whereas I want to hopefully get the more fitness/performance geared boots, but with wheels proportionate to my foot size rather than massive wheels on a really small foot/boot.

Thanks for any help you can give! I know this isn't strictly an inline skating website, but the only one I could find won't let new members join. Any advice, or directions to a site that might have people who are specifically into inlines, would be hugely appreciated!

2. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I think you should decide what do you want to do with your inlines. If it's about fitness/speed - go for the 90mm wheels. If it's about the figure skating moves - am not sure fitness (or freestyle) inlines are what you need. IMHO 3turn and normal speed/fitness require different skates.

I have Fila Eve pro with 82mm (my foot is also 23cm), I can do all the crossovers, spread eagles, spirals, lunges, crossrolls etc, but I can't do 3turns/rockers/brackets on them (I learn them on the ice now).

3. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

Thanks TAHbKA!

I think you're right - I can't get everything out of one pair of inlines. I think I'll focus for the moment on the sort of freeskating moves. I'm not overly concerned about 3-turns specifically as I can use mohawks. If I'm ever able to do spread eagles and cross rolls on them that will be a bonus! :)

I looked at some videos of what people do with different skates. I was looking at the Rollerblade Twister 80W and noticed it seems to have that nice flat shape that looks like it'd fit me, and I found out people often use them for slalom skating, so they must be fairly flexible. In the video on the Rollerblade website the guy does all these insane jumps over steps and stuff so I'm sure they'd also have enough ankle support for a few waltz jumps! :D And also they look like they could support the more cruisey stuff to some extent (I don't want to do the full on 20km trail skating or anything); I could also use my current inlines for that. So I think I might go with those. Now to save up and find someone around here that stocks them! I might rocker them with 76mm wheels on the front and maybe the back too when I get more comfortable.

One final question: I think part of the reason I, and other people from what I've found while searching, have trouble finding inlines is that I'm not sure what the thing I want to do is called. See video I posted for examples of it - the sort of thing where you do, as TAHbKA says, crossovers, spread eagles, spirals, lunges, crossrolls. Not skating on a track/for speed, and not doing slalom or aggressive, just doing sort of figure skating footwork/glides on a flat surface. Does this have a specific name?

Thanks! :)

4. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yes, artistic skating.
    I think you should address all your questions her
    skatelog artistic forum
    I think they will be able to answer all your questions:)

Good luck!
    (am not going to write anything else since am not doing the artistic skating and generally clueless about anything but fitness:) )

5. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

Thanks TAHbkA!

Unfortunately, skatelog is the forum that seems to have disabled registration for new members, so I can't ask questions there, but I might check their archives for anything useful. :)

In light of what you said, I've been thinking of just whacking some PIC frames on my figure boots, because

a) For some reason I had the impression they were super expensive, but the entry-level frames are reasonably priced, and their overall capabilities when mounted on Jackson Freestyle boots might exceed that with the entry-level PIC boot set.

b) I've no idea when I'll next be living somewhere with an ice rink, and while I know skates shouldn't deteriorate if stored correctly, I wouldn't count on it in Australia with our high temperatures and humidity. So it might be better to get another use out of the boots, and I can always buy new boots to stick my old ice blades on if/when I go back to skating.

c) Although I'm not planning to do stuff that requires a toe pick, if ice skating's taught me anything, it's that goals can change quickly!

This is the frame set I'm thinking of getting: http://www.picskate.com/products.htm#P-53 (3 Wheel)

ONE MASSIVE PROBLEM I HAVE, THOUGH!
    Uuuuuhm, well, so is there a polite way to say to the ice skate shop lady, "I love this sport but I'm moving away, please modify my skates with these wheels I bought so I can use them for a different sport"? :slinkaway:

6. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

7. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

Thanks! I'll register there. Still very conflicted about whether to get Seba freestyle type inlines or go for the more inline figure/artistic approach (which will have to be dismantling my ice skates to use the boots with PIC frames). I feel like toepicks might help with some things (would allow bunny hops and eventually toe jumps) but I've also heard that PIC wheels are too soft for the road. Does anyone know if you can substitute harder wheels into the PIC skates? Can you use any brand of wheels, or do you have to buy them from PIC? Always buying them from PIC would be a big problem for me because postage from the US is incredibly expensive, so if I can't replace the parts locally I think that will rule out PICs. However, I know of people who use PICs and Snow Whites here; I'm assuming they are not paying $$$ every wheel replacement, so there must be a solution somehow. :)