Ina Bauer HELP!

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Lanie, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Any advice? I am trying to get that loooong glide but I just go in a freaking circle. I do not have open hips so it is making this difficult!

I am getting back into skating with new boots YAY. I just had my first lesson and I got ALL my jumps back, up to the Lutz. :D We did spirals and Inas and I'm like :duh: because I forget how to do Inas. HELP! I can only do Inas with the left foot leading. Right foot does not happen. At all. Wah.

2. barney

barney New Member

If you don't have open hips, you won't be able to do a real one. Apparently there's a way to cheat it (you need to do them for synchro I think, so they kind of lift up their back leg), but you need open hips to do a real one. It's not something you want to force either, since that's just asking for knee problems.

It sucks, yes. I've always dreamed of having a long, beautiful ina bauer or spread eagle, but it's never going to happen.

3. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I can do them off ice, as well as against the boards, but I can't seem to do them on the ice. My Ina is pretty but it's in a circle! lol

I hope I can figure a way to cheat them. I just figure I do not have open hips since I can't do them properly. I have done one right once and this was a few years ago.

4. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

If it's going in a circle, it's because your front foot is on an inside edge. If you can get the front foot onto an outside edge (while keeping the back foot on an inside), it will travel in a straight line.

5. ibreakhearts66

ibreakhearts66 New Member

I have very very closed hips and I'm still able to do an outside/straight edge Bauer--it's easier to get a good Ina Bauer with closed hips than it is an outside spread eagle! When I step into it, I make sure my leading foot is already on a straight or outside edge, then have to be very aware of keeping it that way as I hit the full position. I do think, however, if you're not naturally open hipped, you probably need better edge control than an open hipped person would. Just keep practicing, really focusing on the edge of the front foot.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Really really check your shoulders hard to left to counteract the inside edge. Turn your right foot out before you set it on the ice, try to get it parallel to the left. Arch your back and look in the direction of travel. Good luck!

7. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice! It worked! :D

Today I did a great Ina. Granted, I splatted at the end of it, but it was pretty nice if I do say so myself!

8. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

yea lanie! :hat1:

9. barney

barney New Member

You must not be as closed hipped as you thought -- that's awesome! If you can get your hips, all you need is the edge control, which is definitely something you can work on.

10. dncrgrl

dncrgrl New Member

11. lipinski.plushy

lipinski.plushy New Member

Well if you use to dance before you originally stopped skating do you remember any exercises you did to help turn out? if not I would practice turn out by standing next to something at hand level maybe say the kitchen bench and try to turn out your feet as far as you can making sure you turn out from your hips to prevent injury. Also trying to do some light bends of the knees (plies) will help this exercise.

Now with actually doing it on the ice what I find helps is once your in the ina bauer position gliding on the ice take the leading hand and and pull it back wards (away from the circle). This counteracts the force of your blades being pulled on to the circle and helps to pull you into a straight line.

Also looking in the direction you want to go in helps. hope this helped

12. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Hi, I am hoping to get tips on ina bauer into a waltz jump! My spread eagle into waltz is fairly consistent, but bauer into waltz is usually a splatfest. Advices please on coming out from the layback bauer position? Both the bauer and waltz go counterclockwise. My coach does not have open hips and is more or less making educated guesses :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Yeah!!! Good work.

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

If you can't turn your hips out a certain way, DON'T force it or you could end up with a serious tear in your hips which could eventually require surgery.

15. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

This is so helpful.

I've never had the natural open-hipped flexibility to do spread eagles and Ina Bauers, not as a kid skater and not as an adult returning to the sport

I've been taking yoga & pilates for a couple of years and working with a trainer who understands skating moves.

Still not there yet with the outside Ina Bauer, but this training has gotten me closer.