IN subscription for Oly season includes GP, Euros, 4CC and Worlds :)

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Debbie S, Aug 12, 2013.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I was on yesterday and had no problems at all.

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

First thing for some of you to do is ditch IE. Firefox or Chrome are much better.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Reportedly live! I don't know if it will be geo-blocked for IN subscribers outside the U.S., though.

4. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm confused too. I could not find past competition videos on the new site. Had to rely on old url posted above to make it work

5. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Okay. So, I haven't received an e-mail from IN yet and did subscribe last year. When I tried calling during the week, I received an automated voice stating something about being closed and this was around 2 p.m. central time. Still trying to figure out what to do next. Trying to figure out how to go about subscribing again. My billing info was still in my profile.

6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Crap - was anxious to see what the new video player would be like during the speed skating event tonight. Still not iOS-compatible, and now it won't play on my Nexus 7 with Flash and Firefox browser installed. :( Old videos from last season do play. Disappointing.

ETA - just tried out of curiosity on my father's Kindle Fire that's based on an older version of Android. It played, so looks like it's a 4.1+ Jellybean issue (which Adobe no longer supports - argh).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. momnatur

momnatur Member

did anyone notice that the cost for a Figure Skating subscription is $49? Same cost for a Speed Skating subscription; and for both it is $89 for 1 year!

I say it had better be VERY good to warrant a $10 increase... ya think?

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'm happy with the increased amount of coverage this year and think's it well worth the price. :)

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think it is a bargain, i watched some of the speed skating and i think the video quality is better than last yr

10. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Try calling 1/866-800-1275. I received this number a couple of weeks ago on an automated response to an email I had sent Icenetwork. It will say you've reached MLB. I just kept pushing buttons and was able to talk to an operator and confirm I would be auto renewed at the price of $39.95. They must be handling some things for Icenetwork. However, when I got my email confirming my purchase, the number they gave me to call if I had any questions was 1/866-464-8499. I think this is the number showing up on their website.

I also think it's a bargain even if I would have had to pay the higher price.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for the information, Jessica. The number I called was 1/866-464-8499. I'll call the other number Monday morning. :)

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Speed skating gets really good commentators. Wish figure skating did.

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

For those curious, here is the full list of all the figure skating events that are geoblocked on IceNetwork this season. The geoblock covers the live stream AND the on-demand video; i.e., I can't even wait three weeks and go back and watch it.

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
    2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
    2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
    2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
    2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
    2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
    2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
    2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
    2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
    2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
    2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
    2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
    2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

So...pretty much everything I wanted to see this season. (Except Nationals and Euros.)

I hate being punished because I'm a fan in a non-major country. I want to watch my sport too!

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

yeah, it's pretty pointless if you are in Australia. Guess we will be watching Latvian streams again.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Is the ISU offering a stream to countries that don't have broadcast access this year?

16. momnatur

momnatur Member

I hope that all Ice Network subscribers will go check out the "Video" section on the redesigned Ice Network site, and then stop and take the poll I created there. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/n38tacj

Thank you for taking a few minutes of your day to let your voice be heard!

:cat:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  17. misskarne

misskarne #408

That would be a good thing for fans! Therefore, it won't happen.

What also annoys me is that there's no longer a single-event pass. So while I CAN watch Nationals on IN, I have to fork out $50 to do so.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I just checked the IN website and they are asking for $49.99 for FS.

Should I call them and tell them I am a renewing member to get the $39.99 ?

19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

This is trivial, but when you have logged in (and it says you've been successful at it), the button that in the old version said "logout" now still says "register/login"?

Does this happen to everyone?

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You should.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. momnatur

momnatur Member

Hey Doris,

As far as I know, it's the same for everybody. So I just posted the following on the IN discussion board. This covers what you were talking about, along with my old pet peeve from the old board....

"Please show the name of the user in the "Main menu" area that is shown throughout the site (similar to, but above, where you show it currently in the Forum area.) This way, a user can tell at a glance that they are logged in. I've requested this before, but it never happend with the old site and currently, as with the old site, all a user can see is the "Register / Login" button - so you don't know if your login is successful, especially if you've navigated away from your personal settings...."

Hope that helps (all of us!)

22. DORISPULASKI

The old one didn't have your name in the block, but at least had logout there.

When you're having problems, it's one way to check whether the problem is with your account, and not IN, and not your own software/hardware combination.

23. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

However, at least in my experience, the login expired after 24 hours, but if you came back 1 day or several weeks later without logging out, the link still read "Logout" so it looked as if you were still logged in and the temptation was to go straight to the videos without logging in first, and then it would bump you back to log in before showing the videos. So going back to the previous situation would not be ideal in my mind either.

24. DORISPULASKI

True. The whole thing is screwed up.

The beginning of each season with IN is a source of stress for me. Not to mention every time I change any software or equipment. Considering it is run by MLB, I'm shocked that it is never implemented seamlessly.

25. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

ITA about the login/logout issue, the status ought to be clear. Ideally it'd *keep* you logged in to begin with (assuming it's the same browser), if Netflix can do it I don't get why IN can't?

There's also been way too many times when I've clicked on a video and a screen has popped up with only the purchasing options and no login option.

26. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Ok, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why it is an issue if you have to log in every time you go there. Or if it doesn't say your name on every page. If you login & then can post on the forum or can watch videos then you're logged in. And if they state that all the new stuff isn't up & running yet, why people have to gripe they can't access this or that. If they say next week they will have it all running, then it.will.be.next.week. Not hard to understand. IN is a very complicated website. It has an interactive forum, videos, & live streaming. So there's a glitch now & then & doesn't always work perfectly. So what? We go through this every year. If IN is so :EVILLE: don't subscribe. Problem solved.

27. DORISPULASKI

The problem is when something isn't working (which is not infrequent), the most common thing that is the user's fault is that they forgot to login. A quick look to the corner of the page could tell them, as it does at FSU, where the upper right hand corner says Log Out when I am logged in. In the case of IN, it doesn't say. Now this is an easy, easy fix. It is not rocket science, so IN should do it.

So far, I prefer the old format to the new one, but since IN has the broadcast rights, I will struggle through.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I second that. IN is a source of stress for me- although in a different way. I called IN directly (not the MLB number) to ask if they would give me the discounted rate of $39.99 because I was a subscriber last year. They said they tried to autorenew but it did not go through. My first complaint is - why did they not check with me first if I want to autorenew? Second, if it got rejected, why did they not inform me? There has been zero communication since last year. My being abroad and the lack of internet access created a lot of problems for me but they have all been sorted out after I returned- all except IN.

I was told to go on line and pay the $49.99, then call back to see IF I can get a refund. No guarantees. I am convinced that IN sucks and will continue to suck. Last year I paid the $39.99 (or whatever the cost was) and got very little coverage. So the money was a total waste. This year they want to charge more but not give me the discount a past subscriber should get.

I told the guy at IN that I will not buy their $49.99 package, unless they guaranteed me the refund. He could not promise that. So I told him that I would not buy the IN package. I don't care what happens to IN at this point. I will be happier if I did not have to deal with them at all. It's not worth my time to have to deal with them.

I can view whatever is available here or on other countries' links. Worst case, I can survive without IN and their attitude. Figure skating is not air, water or food.:mad:

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

It's common for all subscriber sites to show whether you are logged in or not. So it would be nice for Icenetwork to fix this.

With that said, in terms of skating coverage, IN is still the best bang for the buck, considering the number of events covered, and the quality of videos. I paid $20 for Broadmoor Open alone and it only had a few top US skaters.

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I've always received an email before I was automatically renewed giving me the option not to do so. Every year. This year was no exception. I was automatically renewed at the 39.95 rate (although I would have paid the higher rate and will next season). I like the new format and the streaming video quality of the short track races last weekend was excellent. If the figure skating quality is as good, I'll be a very satisfied customer.

I suspect many people's issues with IN has more to do with their internet speed than IN.