IN subscription for Oly season includes GP, Euros, 4CC and Worlds :)

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Debbie S, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where to post this so mods can feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

Just got an e-mail from IN about their package for the coming season:

And you can add the speed skating package for another $40. ;)

The price they are charging me is $25 b/c I'm a USFS member and current subscriber. Doesn't say what the regular price is - I think it's been $40 in the past? I can't remember if I paid $20 or $30 last year. Whatever. I'm just happy to have the GP events back!

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The subscription notice I just received said this about pricing:

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Did i see right? The European championships too?

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Hmm....I'm a USFS member and the email I received has the $40 price. I guess I need to call them.

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Just got my email notice... :)

6. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Strangely enough I was NOT a USFS member last year (I am now) and my renewal notice notice mentioned the member price.

7. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Got mine with the $39.95 renewal price. Office was already closed (phone), so I have emailed them asking for the $25 rate.

8. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Does anybody know if there is a way of getting NBC's coverage of all the events via some online subscription?

I'll probably go with IN because it's very convenient but sometimes I just want some Sandra Bezic input :shuffle:

Yay! So excited for the season to commence. Here's to watching NHK again at 3am live my time!

9. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Oh! Also, the package doesn't include the Oly's does it? :wall:

10. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I think NBC streamed all of the 2012 Summer Olympics for free on its website, so I'm hoping they'll do the same in 2014.

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The answer is no to both questions. NBC has exclusive rights to the Olympics. They will spread them out over their other stations (Universal Sports, NBC sports, MSNBC etc.) but they won't make them available to IN. It's possible skating would be available later on demand, but I doubt that. The issue for us in NA will be timing if you want to watch in real time as NBC will save what they consider high demand events for their prime time coverage which will be 8-9 hours delayed depending on where you live. It's possible there will be other online feeds available from other countries (I think we watched a lot from Bulgaria during 2010), but nobody will know that until the event starts. Also those feeds are subject to being shut down. Personally, I'll see if TVTeka is going to offer the events and pay for a 3 month subscription to them. I'll want to watch Russian Nationals in any event and they may be a way to watch in real time. Otherwise, people should plan to stay off FSU if they don't want to be spoiled. :lol:

The summer Os weren't free unless you were a DirectTV subscriber.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Come on Latvia! Don't let me down.

13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I got the summer Os online as a Comcast subscriber.

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Me, too. But I wonder if they will be more strict this time around and demand online viewers be US/DirecTV customers. Except NBC plans to televise events on its main network, so why should they care?

15. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I don't think that Universal Sports shows much of the olympics. I don't get it anymore so I don't know this for sure.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I didn't get an email at all, and I had subscribed to IN last season. I was very disappointed with the lack of coverage and had notified them of my dissatisfaction. Could it be that's the reason for not receiving an email from them?

Considering how poor the coverage by our US media was in the last Olympics, I may even take a chance on IN this time.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Don't subscribe to IceNetwork just in hopes they will show skating from the Olympics. There is no indication that they will do so.

They list the ISU and USFS events they plan to cover live and/or on demand. If you want to watch those, then you should subscribe.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I doubt it, but you should contact them and ask: http://web.icenetwork.com/help/contact.jsp

ETA an article about NBC not using YouTube for live streaming Sochi Olympic events, like they did for London 2012: http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/06/10/Olympics/NBC-YouTube.aspx?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  19. momnatur

momnatur Member

Did anyone else get this in their subscription notice? This suggests that regular subscription price for first time folks is actually $49!

:eek:

If the price keeps going up, pretty soon I won't be able to afford it anymore.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

21. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Right, because of restrictions on live broadcast rights by Universal Sports, IIRC. And I don't remember them promising live coverage of anything that they didn't deliver -- technical difficulties and geoblocking aside.

I think the reason they're making a big deal about their coverage this year (and raising the prices?) is that they now have the rights to show more elite events live than they have been able to in the past.

22. skatesindreams

^^^
    I agree.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  23. rfisher

Even $50 is cheap for all you get. It's less than the price of a ticket to one event to say nothing of travel, hotel etc. Their feed is usually good, no commercials and no worry about viruses. I pay them and am happy to do so. I paid them last year. It wasn't their fault the ISU didn't give them video rights. It really annoys me when people seem to think streaming is free and everybody should have it. It just doesn't work that way.

Everybody in the US may as well start whining now about the Olympic coverage. IN can't show it since NBC has the rights. NBC will show skating during prime time (delayed), but they will not show all of it. They never do. They focus on the top six. They might partner with someone for online streaming. They might not. They didn't in Vancouver. Three cheers for Bulgaria. As I recall we had quite a world wide network finding local feeds for the short programs and the early groups. I don't think I missed a skater that I wanted to see. The best thing about FSU is that there is someone somewhere who finds a feed and shares. People go to a great deal of trouble in figuring out schedules and time zone changes. I expect the same thing to happen again this season. :D

24. skatesindreams

^^^
    This!
    I'm grateful for the coverage provided by Ice Network; and I consider the cost to be reasonable.
    I'm also grateful to all the members here who add to what they offer!

25. momnatur

momnatur Member

Universal Sports will, more likely than not, be part of the mix of those networks showing stuff, even though most of the country doesn't get it.

But the last olympics was covered live online after about 4 or 5 days, with the cooperation and feeds of the BBC! As you all know, the BBC is almost always geoblocked, so I was amazed that the BBC bought into this.

But do you really think that Russia would be doing anything like this, even if they allowed the feeds in their native Russian? I have serious doubts.

------------------

By the way, the World Track and Field championships are currently taking place in Russia and Phil Hersh, among other sports writers, have been talking about how empty the stands are. Wonder if that will carry over to the olympics?

26. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

It's the Olympics, so no.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

"The IOC is the owner of the global broadcast rights for the Olympic Games – including broadcasts on television, radio, mobile and internet platforms – and is responsible for allocating Olympic broadcast rights to media companies throughout the world through the negotiation of rights agreements."
    Source: http://www.olympic.org/olympic-broadcasting

IceNetwork clearly stated ahead of time that they did not have the rights to live stream any of the Grand Prix events besides Skate America. Here's the thread from last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?84517-IceNetwork-season-renewal-notice-(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  28. rfisher

It is possible TvTeka has obtained rights to show the Olympics. Their subscription rates are very inexpensive. I think everyone will just have to wait until the games start to know what is possible. As I said, one of the best advantages of FSU is that it is international and lots of people are finding streaming links and will post them. We usually manage to see everything even if it costs a little. I'm not too worried. IN has everything else covered and the Olympics will sort itself out. The Evil Russians aren't going to interfere with the broadcasts. :rolleyes:

29. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Am I missing some way of deleting past credit card info on IceNetwork? All I could do was set the current valid one as primary.

30. momnatur

momnatur Member

It has taken me a couple of hours to find this, but it was on 1/25/13, in the middle of nationals, that Phil Hersh announced that "Ice Network has acquired rights to all ISU events - more later on practical meaning of that for US skate fans" and "Good news for skate fans: unlike this year, Ice Network will have live streaming of all events that NBC or NBc Spts Network not showing live." I also remember write-ups at both USFSA and IceNetwork. Neither of them are anywhere to be found.

That should help clear up some of the confusion about what might be shown. But I am POSITIVE that Olympic Figure Skating is going to be on NBC somewhere sometime. Maybe TVTeka will come to our rescue.

Funny, just the other day I came across an add-on to FireFox that would allow you to change your isp to something in some other country so that one could get around the geoblocking. Of course, in the US, that is illegal..... so much for that....