In Plain Sight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Graceful05, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

The shows comes back on March 31st...and I wanted to point this out for two reason: 1) It's a new night...Wednesday rather than Sunday. 2) The guest stars are amazing.

Not sure if any of you were big West Wing fans, but Mary McCormack and Allison Janey were on there together. Janey is now going to be on In Plain Sight, so it comes full circle :) They're also having Donnie Wahlberg on as a guest star, which if you were an amazing NKOTB fan (and yes, I totally am), that's pretty awesome!

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm almost through watching the first season on DVD. I'll finish the season, but I'm not sure whether I'll bother renting the second. Do you recommend it?

3. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Pardon for asking, but what's NKOTB?

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

5. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Thank you - :)

6. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

I absolutely do! Season 1 has a great finale. I can't wait until you catch up to hear what you think! Mary goes through an interesting emotional change towards the end of season one that made me really get into her character. I won't say anymore but you'll enjoy it! :)

Sorry on the NKOTB (New Kids on the Block) abbreviation! I actually just saw them on their comeback tour, so I'm probably more familiar with them than I should be, haha.

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Love this show.
    Interesting with Janney. Josh Malina was a semiregular last season (Will from WW) and Richard Schiff was a guest one episode. Nice to know they get along and keep working with each other.

8. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

y'all know this is season 3 starting, not season 2, right?

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes; I took the occasion of this thread to ask advice on whether I should bother renting season 2.

10. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

slice, I appreciate the reminder nonetheless. Season 2 also has quite a finale, but Season 1's is a particular favorite!

It returns tonight (don't forget with the new night!) at 10pm EST. I nearly forgot myself, but my DVR loves me enough to warn me :)

11. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

LOVE Allison Janey. I wish we had a little bit more young Mary and Marshall.

12. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else think that Mary's sister is actually in contact with their father?

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's not like Lost or some other serial show that you really need the second season to follow the storyline. There is some character development and background, but most of the episodes were primarily standalone. So if you like watching it, season two was consistent. But you don't need to watch it to pick up on watching season 3.

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I thought that too. If it was another guy, cheating on Josh Malina, or a connection to her old boyfriend Chuck - seems too obvious.
    Especially with Brandi asking about the Dad, I think it is him.

15. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

I thought that too, but is it weird he's in touch with Brandi? They made a really big display last season of how he had contacted Mary, and no one in the family knew about it. I guess I saw her as his confidant, so I'm uncertain about why he would suddenly carry on talks with Brandi.

I'm really just always trying to prepare a back up plan, because I hate when I get my hopes up and it's wrong, haha.

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's Brandi as well, since she asked specifically for a story about dad, something she's never done before. Also, the back-in-time episode re-established her East Coast roots and how far (and how not-far, if that's a word) she's come.

Rampant speculation:
    I think it makes sense for him to contact Brandi. IF that was the dad's daughter from another family last season, maybe he came back and heard about what's going on in his first family's life. If he ever cared for Mary AT ALL, of course he couldn't contact her; it would put Mary in an untenable situation of having to choose between her job which has basically been the only good thing in her life and the family that's always dragged her down, but is still family. The mom would call the FBI on the spot, so it has to be Brandi.

At this point, Mary doesn't know there's the possibility of another family.

Though I have to say, I hope they don't concentrate too much on Mary's family and her dad situation. I like the stand-alone, case-by-case format of the show. The only soapish drama I want to see is Raphael nekkid. :grope: I don't even care with which sister, as long as there's a scene with a towel.

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just watched last nights episode.
    Interesting development with Brandi leaving earlier, Mom getting a job and talking about getting her own place and now Mary & Rafe breaking up. Mary will be alone now.
    I love the character of Rafe (or more the cute actor), but if they are going to end it, I am ok with the way they did it. I am not sure Mary is ready to be in a commited relationship yet. Are they going to eventually have her with Marshall? Also what happened with the cute cop (Dershowitz or some name like that?) - thought there was some chemistry there for Mary.
    Loving Allison Janney! More West Wing folks is good.

18. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking that they were heading towards a Mary / Marshall relationship for a while. I'm not sure I like that idea. I would imagine that cute cop (can't remember his name either) may be brought back in to keep them separated for a while longer. I'm not sure if the actor is available but it wouldn't surprise me to see him back.

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Maybe have Mary/Marshall hook up at the end. If they hook up too soon, could end up like Moonlighting. I do love their friendship. More flashbacks would be fun.

20. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

Smurfy, completely agree! If they ever hook up, I hope it is a slow progression. I love their friend dynamic for now, and I loved the flashback. I just like how annoyed he was with her initially, shows how much he has grown to love her, well and how much she has tamed...which is actually some.

I hate spoilers, and I never know what qualifies. But I am really pumped about a new cast member because of the role (and bc they're a cutie). So I'll just put this article here...:slinkaway

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd hate a Mary/Marshall hook up. I like them as good friends, but just don't see them together.

22. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

We know Brandi's coming back this season, because Joshua Malina's worked with Allison and they haven't been on the same show together.

23. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

I'm sure she's coming back! There's a poll on their website that ranks Brandi as one of the more intriguing plotlines right now, so I have no doubt she's going to have a good storyline somewhere down the line.

I just think the family is kind of taking a backseat to WITSEC at the moment. It's alright as far as I'm concerned. I like seeing more of her life humanized (like how she handles work). I especially liked the intrigue of Farber coming in. I've always been a fan of Weber, and I'm all for Mary having a new romantic interest on the horizon.

24. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I'm for any plot developments that keep Lesley Ann Warren OFF my tv screen. Can't stand her.