In my perfect skating world...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gkelly, Nov 6, 2012.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I would never have to watch senior-level skaters who don't excel at ________________.

Fill in the blank with whatever is most important to you.

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

choreography and interpretation...

I hate boring, perfunctory choreography and expressionless skating...

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

speed and transitions. I feel sleepy when skaters seem to have difficulty moving across the ice. But I must say, most elite skaters have relatively good speed.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Freedom to skate the way they want to, instead of the way that racks up the most points. :shuffle:

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

...jumps... ;)

Well, someone had to say it, but I must say it really throws me off when the falls start.

...having passion.

6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

AMEN to that!!

7. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I like this idea. Let skaters do what they want, knowing what each element is worth. Way back when (Peggy Fleming days) skaters did 10 to 15 double jumps in a FP. Admittedly I haven't done the math but would a bunch of double jumps add up to say 5 triples. I remember a gorgeous sequence in G&G's first Oly FP where there did a whole series of double jumps, half loops etc that just flew across the ice in perfect unison. You don't see that any more because it doesn't bring in enough points. I guess there'd have to be some triples, and quads for the guys, but I'd love to see skaters just given complete freedom. Do 10 spins if that's your thing. Probably not expressing this well, have horrible head cold, headache and URTI (gah), but I guess I'd like to see what would happen if skaters were given complete freedom of elements for the LP. Don't know if the math would work.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. alilou

oops double post

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

1. ensuring quality in elements

2. edges and stroking

3. musicality

10. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

It sure would make it hellish to judge, compare and rank skaters accurately, but "in an ideal skating world", I'd love to see that too. I know exactly which part of G&G's Oly programme you mean, it's absolutely awesome!! Love the whole thing actually.

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I've thought about this. I don't think it would work to let skaters do unlimited numbers of anything they want and get points for everything, because then you'd have some skaters just throwing in element after element to get points. But I do like the idea of allowing much more freedom to skaters in the free program. Should we start another thread to discuss how that might be accomplished?

As for the original question, I'll say my contribution is "In my perfect skating world I would never have to watch senior-level skaters who don't excel at maintaining speed without multiple crossovers."

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ A brain-storming session will be interesting and informative.

13. alilou

I get what you mean about skaters probably just going from element to element, depending on how much stamina they have. Maybe it wouldn't look so pretty.

As for senior level skaters being able to maintain speed w/out multiple crossovers ITA. Patrick Chan is my hero :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Brainstorming thread started here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?85702-Free-the-free-program!-(Singles)