In case you've wondered whatever happened to Deanna Stellato . . .

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, May 21, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

2. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link manleywoman. I remember Deanna from 2000 Nationals and from a tv broadcast. She was talented and had a lot of promise. Such a shame about the hip injury. I'm glad to see that she has found something that she enjoys doing and she certainly looks good.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100204&content_id=8019350&vkey=ice_news

Here's an older article about her. I barely remember her and had no idea she had such great early results. She earned a 6.0 for presentation at the Keri Lotion Classic. It's sad thinking what could have been.

The hip injury still bothers her. It almost sounds like she has a labral tear, which so many skaters have. I hope that she has gotten adequate medical care and was not misdiagnosed.

4. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing her the year when she skated as a one-stop, local guest in the Chicago show of Champions On Ice (she was from one of our suburbs), sometime before her injury but after she was getting a lot of attention. I assume this was in 2000, but I don't really remember very clearly (the shows from that era sort of fade together with the passing of time). I was sure at the time that Stellato was going to be part of a new roster of U.S. stars in women's skating, including Sasha Cohen and Jennifer Kirk. The career-ending injury was thus really sad to me. But I'm glad she's found a career, which is better than some figure skating champions can say!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wow, I don't remember her. But she was a beautiful skater.

Found her last competitive program, Skate Canada 2000 (where she had her career-ending injury). Very sad, this was still a nice program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzrvJr20tM

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

7. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, thank goodness she seems to have found something she really enjoys doing post-skating career. She seems very happy!

8. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I loved her skating, great to know she's found success! :40beers:

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

I adored her skating. I wish she had a slightly longer senior career by not attempting that 3 sal/3 lp combo but that was shortly after Tara won gold with her own loop combos

11. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Girl had everything. That program from Keri Lotion said it all. She had very developed, beautiful presentation which is a lot more than you can say for most of the 17-year-old skaters.
    It really was a real shame..

12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that she has found success in what she does. I enjoyed her very much on the ice.