Improving jumps by using motion capture technology

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's an article and video about the science of motion capture technology at the University of Delaware, using the example of Melissa Bulanhagui's triple Axel: http://www.ivanhoe.com/science/story/2011/03/832a.html (link fixed)
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Sylvia -- the link isn't working for me -- can you fix it?

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Sounds expensive, I wonder how much a skater/coach would have to pay.

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It was a shame we didn't actually see an attempt at the triple axel in the video.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Oh really? I assumed there was one :eek: (I watched very quickly). Bulanhagui has attempted the 3A at the Liberty summer competition for the past 3 years (there are videos on yoube).

7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

No, there isn't, but that might be due to the reporters not telling the difference between a double and a triple. :lol: Perhaps they thought they were all 3axels.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Some coaches have been using DartFish which sort of does the same thing at a much lower scale. It's like those sequence of images of skater jumping presented by Chevy that aired during past Nationals.

9. geod2

geod2 New Member

There have been a couple of other articles about the FS research at UD.
    This link was probably posted on another thread back in 2009 but I still find it fascinating (the video is on the left, middle of the page):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/science/23skate.html

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I doubt she is attempting 3axels, doesn't look ready for that. I think the author doesn't really know the difference. ;)

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I saw at least two. Wait, maybe not. Must have been 2a because they looked pretty darned nice and easy.

12. geod2

geod2 New Member

There is other affordable technology in use, although without UD's advanced computer analysis.
    I see that Sports Motion has a handful of figure skating users (the demo video happens to be of a baseball player):

http://www.sportsmotion.com/about-customers.htm#FIGURE

http://sports-motion.com/videos/playback.htm?FirstName=Super&LastName=smi

-

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, Melissa really is (as I mentioned above), just not in US qualifying, National or international competition yet.

The author is correct in this case about the 3A... but misspelled her last name 'Bulanahaguy' in the article. ;)

14. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

The wrong spelling showed up in the banner for the video clip too!

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Has Frank Carroll been working with Andrew Gonzales, as the article indicates?

The technology is fascinating. Might be helpful if they were also working on an understanding of how to prevent injuries.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, as of this past season (2010-11). Gonzales placed 18th in Senior Men at 2011 US Nationals.

18. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Has anybody watched the movie Ice Princess?
    The main character was a girl who studies physics and applies
    that knowledge to jump technique for skating.

Yes, It's a Disney movie, but when I heard about things like Dart Fish first time,
    it sort of reminded me of that parabola created by a jump on the computer screen she was staring at,
    and I thought, "oh that could actually be a real thing!?". ;)

19. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Mishin has worked a lot on things like this, at the ice rink he workes with his students they use some technologies to measure the speed of the skater's rotations and on jump entrances (skaters from Mishin group like Gachinski told about it on interviews), it helps to recognize the mistakes in skater's technique and fix them. That's one of the reasons why Mishin's students have clean jumps

20. just wondering

just wondering Member

To me, the exciting part of UD's technology is the ability to run hypothetical scenarios. e.g. tuck an elbow then run the jump on the computer to see the effects on the quality of the jump. Seeing the outcome of the correction before attempting the jump seems like a great step forward! Granted it's not readily available as of yet, but fantastic that such advances are being used to improve the sport.

21. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I have a question: Does Carroll have dartfish at his rink? If so, does he use it?

22. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

Actually I'm more curious on how this kind of technology fits in with general coaching overall. Say can a choreographer with Dartfish replace a general all around coach without such technology?

23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I find Mishin a very interesting man in that regard. He has invented a vest which will make a sound when the skaters pulls in for a jump, but they have to pull in tight enough, otherwise the vest won't sound.

I think this technology is really fascinating. I think if it can help correct poor technique that is a good thing.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I would think that at the highest elite levels, a skater would want not just a general all-around coach, but a good jumping coach, in addition to technological tools such as Dartfish.

However, I also wonder if an 'average' coach who understands, interprets and applies the technology really - not something that is so easy to do - will become a superior coach.

Was Kristy Krall known for coaching good jump technique in the past?

25. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

In the past, I know clubs/federations used to share expensive technological instruments across different sports.
    For example: figure skating and gymnastics could share, since they would both benefit.
    On countries as big as the US it would be much more practical to share between clubs than federations though.

Indeed, what captured my attention here is the "what if" part. Being able to run it on a computer is pretty amazing.
    DartFish was definitely not doing it. It was mostly image playing (overlapping images, putting images next to each other, breaking images into following static pics, etc.).

Definitely not DartFish. DartFish makes it easier to see things, but it's your reasoning that has to notice them. If you don't know squat about jumping, DartFish is useless.

What I'm convinced though, it that a fresh eye with a very good sense for lines and elegance could spot the technical flaws simply because they usually aren't pleasant aesthetically.

Technical coaches often don't have what it takes.
    Nor do choreographers, as "a good sense for lines" for a few static positions (basically what a jump can be bronken into) doesn't equal to devoloping a story on the music and fill the rink with it.

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ha, those things are ANNOYING!!! I was on a freestyle session a while back and could NOT for the life of me figure out what the intermittent beeping was--like one of those "low battery" beeps. It was the kid of our Russian skating director and her husband (the latter was coaching him).

27. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

I think quite some time ago the Uni of Poitiers did a similar test with Brian.

28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Have you seen the squeaky ball technique? Where a skater tucks a squeaky rubber ball on the front of their leg in their tights just above their boot. It makes a sound if the skater is bringing their feet together. We had a skater with a leg wrap who fixed up her technique using that as one of the methods.

29. geod2

geod2 New Member

It was unmistakenly Disneyish, but was actually a pretty good movie.
    I'm guessing a huge % of FSU has seen it.
    :)

30. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Armin is using the analysis, I guess? :cool:

http://twitpic.com/51yppn

It is something that many people saw it but do not want to admit it? ;)