Improving Endurance?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Aug 28, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I would love to be able to improve my endurance on the ice. Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that I cannot run due to a back problem. Can't do the repeated impact.

I hate it that I get so sweaty and pink on the ice, when everyone else looks so cool!

Thanks.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I can't run either (shin splints among other problems). There's nothing that really mimics run throughs, but biking and the elliptical can help.

3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yeah, I like the elliptical, too. I "can" run, but don't like it, so I've switched to walking after running all summer. What about low impact aerobics? Jane Fonda wasn't exactly right about the "go for the burn" thing!

4. Kim to the Max

Kim to the Max New Member

I have been doing a lot of running, which is a good way to get a good workout. But, sometimes, you just can't :) My trainer had said that the elliptical isn't good because it's not as natural of a stance as we would like to think.

He has me do a lot of pylometrics which is mainly strength, but it's also a cardio thing. During my sessions, we tend to do a "workout in a workout," combining cardio with strength or doing strength things in a cardio way. (lot's of jumping, running, we did some pushup crawls, etc).

Have you tried a spin class? Or even Zumba or another group class?

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I do the elliptical, too, and sometimes bike riding. Strength training helps as well--just a round of weights. I have also been taking some time at the end of most sessions just to do several laps of stroking, with really good posture, form, technique, etc. It's the good form and posture that take it out of me most!

6. backspin

backspin Active Member

Elliptical for me (though I do run a mile in the summer once or twice a week too)--and huge DITTO on the strength training!! I started lifting weights last winter & was shocked to find what a difference it made. Incidentally, I feel 10x better off ice too--just all around better in my daily life; no more stiffness in the morning, knees feel better, etc. When I go to the gym I do 20 min. elliptical & then 3 arms, 3 legs, 2 abs & 2 back weight machines. Sometimes more, that's the quick in & out schedule.

7. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Swimming would probably be great for you. Cycling if your back allows. Plyometrics can be tough on the knees, once a week or every other week is plenty for me.

I have started doing some intervals on the ice. You can do crossovers, slide chasses, dance patterns, etc. with as much effort as you can for a set amount of time. You can start at 30 second intervals and work your way up to 2 - 2:30. Do these five or six times in your skating sessions.

If you have some extra cash, invest in a heart monitor. I think I'm addicted to mine :)

8. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Not sure if you can do it, but I do some skipping with a skipping rope. That's very good to build up endurance for programs. And all you need is every day 15 mins.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What's pylometrics? I'll have to look that up.

I don't actually belong to a gym, or at least not right now. I spend all my money on skating. :lol: But they're building a Y near my house, and I want to join that once it's complete.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  10. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

I remember hearing that swimming should not be done directly before skating because
    1) different muscles are used, and 2) swimming undoes the hamstring stretches
    Is it correct?

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I heard it too, but I am not sure whether there is any truth in it. Luckily, I hate swimming anyway...

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Basically any exercise that you do for a long amount of time in one go will help you with endurance.
    Can you do several hours of skating in one go? there you would have to do less hard exercises like normally but already being on the ice for three hours and constantly moving would work on your endurance.
    Running would be of course the best but if you cannot do it - what about power walking? Are you able to do that?
    Also weight training will help as you will have to lose less power to do the elements that you do.

But in the end - whether you sweat or lot or not is not something you can really control. It is also in your genes.

13. dbny

dbny New Member

On ice, do as much as you can, and then one more. If you can't manage one more, try half. For example, if you are doing a MIF pattern, attempt to do one more side of it, or even half of a side. You can gradually build up your endurance that way. I hate exercise for exercise's sake, so everything I do is on ice.

14. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Various types of cardio are of course good for endurance, but I agree with those who have said that skating for extended periods and pushing yourself to do more on ice is also good for endurance.

Finished a 6 day skating camp on saturday and today I did my first run in over a week (i'm training for a 10km). I could really feel the difference in running today in terms of the way my body felt when running and after the run, and my recovery time. I'm certain that although I haven't done any running training during the camp the 3hrs of skating everyday has improved my endurance not only for skating but for other exercise too.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Hedwig

:encore: Good for you!!
    And I am also glad that I didn't tell you any untrue shit!!

16. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Yes I should have known you are always right ;)

17. Hedwig

It took all my strength not to say: I TOLD YOU SOOOO!!!!!!! ;)

18. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I third or fourth the strength training.

If you do endurance type lifting, you will see a huge improvement on ice. Endurance lifting = lots of reps with lighter weights and lifting to exhaustion. For example, doing a particular exercise, such as squats, with a weight that lets you get in 16 - 24 reps. You should feel like you can barely do that last rep. Rest a few seconds (but just a few!!) and repeat the set. Stretch after the last set. Do this for all muscle groups.

This method builds anaerobic strength and lengthens the time before you reach an exhaustion level when running a program. It's really important to supplement your aerobic (running, swimming, etc.) workout with anaerobic exercises.

Don't have weights or a gym membership? That's okay, cause you can use your own body as a weight with exercises like pushups, tricep dips, planks, etc. I recommend googling around for some exercises.

19. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Exercises that include short bursts of power. Most of them are high impact and utilize some sort of jumping. Power skipping is one. Plyo exercises are very tough yet very effective. If you are limited on time, this is a great bang for the buck!

20. MusicSkateFan

MusicSkateFan New Member

I have found stationary bike to be the best. Elliptical machines can still be jarring on the knees and even lower back.

I got myself doing stationary bike sprints. High Speed with pretty high resistance for the following:

6 min (like a 6 min warm up for a competition)
    +3 min(about the length of a program)
    _______

9 minute total sprint

Sometimes I push myself to 10 minutes.

I know this doesnt seem long but if you are truly sprinting and push yourself it does help. I also do 3 mile sprints on the bike and try to improve my time down to about 6min 30 seconds for a three mile ride with fairly high resistance.

This has helped my prep for competitions as well as given me better over all endurance during my practice sessions.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The stair master is a killer machine. I did 50 minutes at level 11 this morning and felt like I was dying, LOL.