IMG, U.S. Figure Skating partnering on tour for the first time (post-Sochi Olympics)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks to immoimeme for reminding me about this article in another thread - I meant to start a thread about it this past fall:
    Excerpt:
    The Canadian Stars on Ice tour is scheduled to run from April 25 to May 15, 2014: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?90082-Canadian-Stars-on-Ice-2014

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

So, what happens to skaters that or not apart of the IMG corral of athletes? This is an interesting situation, considering that not all of the top US skaters are part of IMG (thinking of pair teams esp).

3. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

Interesting. Anyone know what cities are planned for this tour?

4. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I guess they are waiting until after Nationals to decide which skaters will get the nod to participate. 25-30 tour dates sounds optimistic after the way SOI has declined in the last few years. I hope they are right and this post Olympic year they will be able to draw crowds.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Wonder if they'll bring in some of the international skaters, or if it will just be Americans?

6. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

After the 2010 Olympics, they had most of the Olympians on tour (or guesting) - some of whom couldn't perform their way out of a paper bag. They also had some way-over-the-hill pros that couldn't perform. They need to get some decent music, choreography and skaters that perform. The Olympic skaters should skate something other than their competitive programs.

Just because a skater is a good competitor doesn't mean they can pull off show/performance skating.

7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Saw this on Facebook: Stars on Ice has announced tour dates and a pre-sale starting Jan 7th. See their website: http://www.starsonice.com/

I am really bummed that neither St. Louis or KC is on the list. I really wanted to go this year.

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh, cool. Any new skating tour is good with me... Hope we can make it to the Anaheim show.

9. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

In the Skaters section they have a pic of Katarina Witt next to 'Debi Thomas'. Woops. http://www.starsonice.com/all-time-skaters.html

And next to Sasha Cohen they have her listed as 'Olympic Dance Silver Medallist". Same with Kitty and Peter Carruthers, Roslyn Sumners, Brian Orser and so on. SOI needs to fire their photo editor. :lol:

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

And the Kerrs are OGMs. In pairs. Never heard about them winning that! Tara Lipinski is another "Olympic Dance Gold Medalist."

11. snobben2345

snobben2345 New Member

And no mention of Kurt Browning?!? But they have two entries for Scott Hamilton with what looks like a photo of Kurt, reproduced twice. Scott is the founder of the tour and they couldn't get his picture right? This job must have been "outsourced"....what a moronic, low quality job....

12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I agree, but they at least still had Cohen and a few of their more seasoned pros who understood performing. I think partnering with USFS means that SOI will have too many mediocre US skaters and few (if any) non-US skaters and few out of the eligible ranks. I also agree the prospect of a tour comprised of a series of cold spots with mostly not great skaters doing versions of their competitive programs and the encore we've already seen from Nationals does not excite me much. If they are going to do a cold spot tour, they need to have the best in the World, like COI did back in the 90s.

Worlds doesn't end until March 30 and the first tour date is April 4, so it looks like there will not be time to learn and rehearse the classic SOI ensemble type numbers beyond the opening and closing. I so miss when SOI was a good tour with a real creative vision and two months of rehearsals.

Someone asked about Browning. He announced last year that would be his last US tour, so I would not expect to see him this year.

I also think the IMG folks have been smoking some funny stuff to think the US has a good chance of winning the team event. IMO a team medal of any color would be a pretty good result for them.

As for SOI's web site, I have never understood their thinking in rating an Olympic hardware so highly. Which do you think makes Debi Thomas more proud - her Olympic bronze medal or her World Championship? (Still, I'm sure the Kerrs are especially proud of that pairs OGM.)

Hey, SOI, I can code html if you need help.

13. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Cohen was terrible when I saw her in the 2010 SOI...it was like she was skating on sleepers. She did a duet with Czisny...and Czisy was much better.

14. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was outsourced to Speedy Cinquanta. :p

15. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Wow, 20 cities is a lot. The sponsors better be hoping for some North American medals in Sochi with the fire power to go with it to sell that many arenas in the US. I didn't see a similar tie to the Stars on Ice Canada tour. Anybody know the schedule there?

16. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Their schedule was announced much earlier. Try

http://www.starsonice.ca

Twelve cities are covered, starting April 25th. I hope they employ the same creative team as last time for this leg of the tour. Last year was pretty good.

17. Susan M

Seriously? Maybe Cohen was sick that night, because where I saw it, Cohen hit better position than Czisny in almost every move. I remember that program very clearly because it totally highlighted that Czisny was a lovely skater, but did not have what it took to be a headliner. That was the annoying program where the two skaters were at opposite ends of the rink much of the time, so to see both, I had to keep turning my head right, left, right, left like watching a tennis match. It became clear fairly early on that Cohen was just a little better at everything, so I just watched her when they weren't close enough together to see both. One of my all time favorite soprano duets, though.

18. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

But...but...they DID list Nancy Kwan, right? Every show I ever went to it was inevitable the person next to me asked about her. And Todd-who won the Olympic gold medal, right?

Gd luck IMG. you all may make $$ off the tour but its a long hard slog to get the general public excited about usa skaters.

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Interesting that they seem to have the skaters likely to be most visible in Sochi (and our best OGM hope). Wonder how this would impact the USFSA tour?

SOI has 2 dates that MIGHT work for me. Will just have to wait and see

20. Susan M

I don't understand this question. The essence of the announcement is that SOI and USFS are partnering on the SOI tour in the US. There hasn't been a separate tour here for USFS/ISU skaters for several years now, since the old COI (aka the ISU tour or the Collins tour) merged with SOI.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It doesn't bode well that TPTB are diluting the SOI brand by essentially putting a Champions on Ice style show on under the name "Stars on Ice."

I don't feel like the sport is in capable hands in terms of finding new audiences, new markets, etc.

Can Ilya Averbukh defect? :)

22. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

From what I've seen, no skaters are confirmed except Meryl and Charlie and Ashley... :lol:

23. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

And the thing is there can't be something now that was like the old Champions On Ice because of the changes in figure skating. COI came out of a tour that was able to get virtually all the Oly champions from every country because there weren't tours elsewhere. Its no longer like that when there are more successful shows and tours in Russia, Japan and elsewhere.

In any case, the prospective tour comes nowhere near Washington D.C. so its a moot point for me.

24. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I'm debating whether to drive up to Hershey on a Thurs night. It's about an hour and a half drive, each way. A PITA, but I do really want to see D/W.

25. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot IMG owned SOI. I was thinking they were doing a 'special' Olympic tour not the standard SOI tour.

26. waddlercu

waddlercu Member

Looks like they're also selling tickets to meet & greets with the entire cast after each show. $75 per attendee. Kinda steep, but it may be more straightforward than the fan club boondoggle they've been trying over the last few years.