I'm officially going on a diet

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I've decided to go on a diet, starting today. I'm posting because it will give me incentive to stick to it. :D

I'm planning to lose 15 lbs., 20 at the most. The diet I go on will give me this result in a healthy way, I've done it before with successful results. And I'm combining it with more regular visits to the gym.

Not real overweight, but I'm not happy with what I've been eating lately (too much high-carb stuff such as pizza). I want to increase my energy and enjoy the added benefit of looking a little more fit and slim. :eek:

I'll post in each week with a progress report, until I've reached my goal.

Thanks for reading this post. :)

l'etoile, Maofan7, AYS and 13 others like this.
  2. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Good luck. :)

3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I wish you success ... keep us posted.

4. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

I'm going on a diet too, although I am not calling it "going on a diet", as that is just too restrictive. So I am calling it, "stop shoving so much crap in your mouth". What I really need is to reset my brain to reach for the baby carrots or grapes as a snack instead of the cookies. And chips. And nachos. And chocolate. And more cookies. Snacking is my downfall.
    I turn 52 in 5 months and plan on being healthier than I am now. As much as I would love to lose weight, I am thinking of
    that as a secondary benefit. I am hoping that if I focus on healthier eating, and also getting off my substantial behind and walking in the fresh air, my clothes will become a little less snug!
    Good luck! :cheer:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I read something about that last year. The article stated that if you put the unhealthy stuff into not see-through containers and in the back of the cabinet/fridge and the healthy stuff into containers with at least a see-through lid and at the front of the cabinet/fridge you're more likely to take the healthy stuff. Because you see it, thus you realize it's there and because it's in the front, thus easy to reach.

Good luck to the both of you achieving your goal.

6. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Make me a third who is bound and determined to lose all of the weight I gained this winter. I got away from my healthy eating lifestyle this winter to carbon load - but at least I managed to stay away from junk food so hopefully it won't take too much adjustment. Before this winter I had been on an 18 month slow but steady weight-loss path, but this winter got me back to where I had been last winter. It was just so blinkin' cold and dark.) I don't want that new summer wardrobe to go to waste so put me on the bandwagon. Together we shall succeed.

7. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Thanks for the tip! (Or maybe I should just stop buying the junk stuff in the first place....:p)
    I can give up most junk, but I have to allow myself dark chocolate and popcorn. Otherwise I feel like I am a bad person who needs to be punished, and then I crave it even more. I can't wait to get out and walk, this has been a ridiculous winter and it seems like it's not ending anytime soon.

8. Skate Talker

About the chocolate - this was the hardest craving to control for me. It doesn't take much to get me back on the train but I have managed to mostly eliminate it from my diet, most of the time. My aunt is a bit of a saboteur, bringing out all her Christmas-gift chocolate every time I am over despite my protests. If I really need a chocolate fix I try to make it a pudding or chocolate milk so at least I get the benefit of the added dairy.

About the popcorn - I still snack on it but pop it dry in the microwave and have tried to use spices in place of butter and salt, or nutritional yeast, sometimes with a drizzle of olive oil to help it stick, and sometimes I actually manage to enjoy it without any extras. For spices I think the combo I made up has smoky paprika, chili, cumin, and something else I am not remembering just now. A little of that goes a long way but apparently hot spices will rev up your metabolism. Any heat you generate as a result is calories burning. The nutritional yeast is actually my favourite as I find it tastes a bit like a mild cheese.

I have a microwave popping bowl now that works really well but you can simply put kernels in a paper bag, making sure to fold the end over pretty securely.

As for the rest of the junk food I seriously had to stop buying it, even for visitors, etc. If it is in the house it is sure to end up down the hatch, no matter how well hidden it is from sight.

9. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

I wish to drop some pounds myself. Time will tell if I can get myself motivated enough to do so. So post your successes and hopefully that will help :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I've been working on this since mid September with Weight Watchers. I'm down 34.5 pounds. I have roughly another 22 to go if I'm to get into the range they suggest though I'm not sure I'm going to go that far. With a doctor's note I can stop where I feel comfortable. So far I've done it mostly with modifying portions and lots of walking. Fortunately I found an indoor track because this has been a brutal winter to try to walk outdoors. Two of my friends had falls, one resulting in large physio bills so outdoors has been a no go for awhile.

Chocolate is a huge craving for me too. One thing I've found that helps is chocolate flavoured teas believe it or not! There is a Stash brand chocolate hazelnut that I love and a President's Choice Chocolate Chai.

The tip about keeping the healthy stuff at the front is one I use too - and it helps but I also try to limit junk in the house. Lately I've found I'm okay with small individual portions so I've bought the snack size chocolate bars and chips and if I really want them, plan them into my daily allotment. I'll stop with just the small treat but if I had large bags or bars I'd finish them!

Another thing that really helps in the Weight Watchers program is tracking your food intake. I have a Weight Watchers app that I use on my iphone that keeps me on track. I think My Fitness Pal is another similar one so that's another good resource.

Good luck to all who are working on this. I love that you started this thread Skateboy!

CantALoop and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

That could help, too ;)

My mom (she's really into nutrition stuff) was told at one of her various classes that, if you eat one piece of chocolate and let it melt in your mouth rather than chew it's supposed to reduce the craving for more. Also, dark chocolate is much better than milk chocolate calory wise :)

12. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

My mom's a diebetic, so if anyone needs some good healthy recipes for losing weight and controlling diebetes at the same time, I'll post some.

Good luck!!! and good health!!!!

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Best of luck to all those wishing to get healthier :)

For popcorn, I've found that it's hard to find a microwave brand that doesn't have a long list of unhealthy ingredients in it - but for Canadians, I think the President's Choice Blue Menu (Canadian brand) offers one with no butter, and only a bit of oil. And here are some fun ideas for tasty butter alternatives, including nutritional yeast that was already mentioned: 13 Ways to Jazz Up Popcorn.

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've got a few pounds to lose too. Good luck to everyone!

15. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I'm trying to lose some baby weight myself. I was pretty inconsistent until I started tracking my food intake with the my fitness pal app. It's made a huge difference! It really helps to force yourself to be accountable for what you eat. Good luck every one!

16. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

I started back doing the (fake) weight watchers last week- it's an app called Ultimate Value Diary. Same basic thing, but it's $2.99, and no ongoing payments so definitely more economical than actually joining Weight Watchers. So far so good. I have 40 lbs of "break-up weight" I'd like to shed. It's doable, I've done it before. But boy does it ever suck!!

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I love that description!

Thanks everyone, for the support and all the tips. I'm on my way to the supermarket where I'm buying ONLY good stuff. And I'm throwing out a package of corn dogs I have in the freezer. If I don't have the junk in my house, I can't eat it unless I make a special trip for it, but that's just too much trouble!

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

LOL, it took me a very long time to learn that trick!

BTW, dark chocolate is an essential food as far as I'm concerned, but as you know it's also a good snack/treat choice because you only need a small piece to feel satisfied.

Another snack I like for when I have salty cravings is snacking nori (seaweed). It tastes salty but is actually very low in sodium, has a crunch that's similar to potato chips (if you get the right brand), and has nutritional value too. Oh yeah, and delicious. The only thing I don't like about it is the over-packaging. And the fact that most brands come from Korea -- not that I have anything against Korea, I just try to buy as local as possible when I can.

Kale chips are pretty awesome too for a salty snack that feels like an indulgence -- crazy expensive to buy but I make my own. A dehydrator is great for making lots, but you can do them in the oven too.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Please don't use a shitty fad diet, skateboy.

Just have 3 meals a day, at more or less set times as much as possible (optionally +2 snacks between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner), and make sure each is comprised of protein and complex carbs to keep your blood sugar level. And ideally you want to eat breakfast within one hour of waking up, for the same reason. Make sure you never go more than 6 hours without a meal (or your blood sugar will crash and your metabolism will slow down and you'll be liable for big sugar cravings). And have some kind of exercise every day. Even if it's a brisk walk or 15 minutes of dancing around the room to your favourite music, it'll help to keep your metabolism up.

20. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

To cut the cravings for junk food, just don't buy them. Hiding them in the back of the shelves ain't gonna help b/c u know that they do exist. I find myself going for the healthy snacks if there are no junk food around.

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have found the 5:2 the most effective way to lose weight. Seriously I am not into dieting and I think most diets are just fads, but if you watch the documentary "Eat Fast and Live Longer" that will explain it all. For me it was life changing. The way it works is you calorie restrict on two days of the week (600 calories for men, 500 for women) and then you can eat what you want for the other five days. There are a number of other health benefits, including decreased risk of diabetes, certain types of cancer and heart disease as well as a reduction in cholesterol.

The other way to think about it is our bodies are designed to be hungry. As a society we think there is something wrong if we are hungry but it is actually a natural state for our bodies to be in. Also you will most effectively burn fat if you body hasn't eaten for about 12 hours. It starts drawing on your fat stores, particularly that fat around your internal organs which is actually the most dangerous type of fat.

Changing what you eat should be about lifestyle change. I have actually felt so much better since I started last October as well as noticed a different in my skin complexion. I have stuck to calorie reduction on Monday and Thursday which has created the routine, but on the non-fast days I can pretty much eat what I want. My "fast period" is from 6pm from one evening to the next. Generally I eat much healthier than what I used to so that is another benefit. But it doesn't stop me having the occasional hamburger or ice cream.

Here is the website.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

It is worth reading the book by Michael Mosley. There are some other books that have come out and have jumped on the bandwagon but I think Michael's is the way to go as he is the doctor who did the original documentary and was really interested in the topic to get health benefits for himself.

BTW - I really don't weigh myself. I go by a tape measure as well as getting back into clothes I could no longer fit into. Obsessing over kilos or pounds really shouldn't be the motivation.

22. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Best of luck skateboy, you can do it!

Same here, it doesn't help that I'm in a vicious cycle of comfort snacking, then getting bummed about my weight, so I comfort snack :lol: :wuzrobbed:

23. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Question to the chocoholics - what kind of chocolate is problematic to you? I can give up milk chocolate, well all kind of chocolate but the dark (55% and more) kind. I guess that is okay for loosing weight?

24. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

I've done a variation of the 5:2 plan where on most days I don't eat for 18 hours and then eat one large meal (plus maybe a small snack in the afternoon so I don't feel dizzy) in the evenings. I found it extremely effective for both losing weight (most likely too effective because people started worrying about my weight!)/eating healthier and productivity and I am starting it again. Plus, it's very easy to follow.

Personally, I don't think there's good scientific evidence for the "eat x small meals a day spaced y hours apart." My mind is sharper when I'm slightly hungry, and as I'm busy most of the day, I don't crave food. There's no "food coma" after lunch. For me, eating in the evenings is the big problem so I know that if I eat less during the day, I can eat more at night. And I don't binge at night because it's physically uncomfortable to eat more than 1200 calories in a single setting.

I use dark chocolate as a snack--it's great because it's self-limiting. And also yogurt and some fruit. I don't keep any other snacks around or else I know I'll binge.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:eek:

If you haven't eaten for over 6 hours, your blood sugar level gets extremely low. As a result, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and your metabolism slows down. So you burn fat less effectively than if you had regular, healthy meals + some moderate exercise.

Your body isn't going to selectively start to eat the fat, especially the one that is most dangerous. Your body is as likely to start breaking down your muscles as it is to be breaking down your fat.

What is also going to happen is your brain chemistry is going to get out of balance. As a result of starving yourself, your brain will get flooded by beta-endorphin which will give you a pleasant feeling of a 'natural high' but as a result your brain will downregulate and become more tolerant to it. You can also develop withdrawal symptoms later.

Being starved is also a stressor - both in the physiological and the psychological sense - and I don't understand why you would willingly want to expose yourself to that. I mean I get that you can lose weight but is it worth the cost?

I understand that fad diets give you a structure that you can work with. If you want to pick one, go with The South Beach Diet or The Food Doctor as those two are based on actual established nutrition guidelines instead of starving your body and depriving it of what it needs, which is what diets like Atkins, Dukan and Fast Diet do.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is. The reason why you should eat regular meals is that you keep your blood sugar level even. It means that your body and your brain have the fuel to function properly and it means that you avoid cravings which come when your blood sugar level gets too low.

That's the beta-endorphin spike at play.

If you haven't eaten all day and then eat one big meal, you aren't going to metabolise what you have eaten very effectively. As a result of starving yourself, your metabolism has slowed down. You are also getting excess calories that you don't need because it's late and you don't need a lot of energy any more (you will be going to sleep soon). Which means that a lot of the glucose from what you've eaten might end up getting converted into fat.

It's not a great snack because it's just sugar (plus some fat). So you get a big blood sugar spike followed by a crash. It's short-term energy only and it's not sustained. If you like chocolate, have a little as dessert. This way its effects on your blood sugar levels will be limited.

For snacks, try to mix complex carbs, fibre and protein. So for example: a piece of wholemeal bread/rice cracker, some raw veggie sticks and hummus. Or a piece of fruit (with skin) and some nuts.

27. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

No, that's not true. Your fat reserves contain far more calories than your muscles, and your body will only start seriously breaking down muscle when almost all of the fat reserves have been used up.

28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Weighed in today for my work's Biggest Loser (six weeks), and I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Granted, I'm only 23 and I was "padding" a bit on purpose for strategic purposes ( :p ), but still, none of my jeans fit anymore. This winter has killed me in terms of just being lazy and eating horribly. I know how it started, too...I was commuting a lot in the fall, and I ate McDonalds almost every day because it was cheap and quick; I literally had no time or money for anything else. I've definitely noticed the effects...I've been sick on and off all winter, my clothes don't fit, whaaa! Time to buck up and do the "stop shoving crap in my face" lifestyle change. :p

Here's the things that I want to focus on for the next two months:

- Start running/walking twice a week. Well, once it's not sub-zero outside. :p I work on my feet at my job so I get a lot of exercise there, but I need something to get the heart pumping. I slacked off last year and I want to start doing it again.

- No more fast food! And no more impulse buys at work (I work in retail). I'm taking all my cards out of my wallet and giving myself a cash allowance every month so I am less tempted to make a quick buy of chips or something because I'm a little hungry.

- Cut down on portion sizes...I've realized that I've let my portion size get out of control. Nothing wrong with eating pasta, but for the love of God, I need to stop taking a whole bowl full. I get full halfway through and only eat the rest out of obligation and guilt of possibly wasting it. :p

- Still enjoy treats, but in moderation. When I was really bad, I was drinking a pop a day. Now I'm going to stick to one every few days, or maybe once a week. Good thing I started drinking coffee; that gives me the pick-up I need on long days and is a lot better for you. Well, as long as I don't load it up with creamer. But still, better than a can of carbonated bubbles. I can't give up soda entirely; but I can get it back down to a reasonable amount.

- No buying new clothes until May. I've been needing new things but I've put it off because I didn't want to buy bigger sizes...if I can get back down to what I was a year ago, I will reward myself with some retail therapy.

So, any other suggestions? I'm not for diets in particular; you tend to fall off the wagon and gain it all back. I'm more interested in getting myself into better habits that stick. I used to be really good about it, but I've gotten very lax lately. Time to buckle up and be healthy!

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You're right, I just double checked and I was wrong on that. Fat reserves will be used up first.

30. Skate Talker

It wouldn't be self-limiting for me - I adore dark chocolate and could eat a bushel of it at one sitting.