I'm Having A Stevie Nicks Kind Of Day

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Oct 11, 2012.

Favourite (Underappreciated) Stevie Nicks Song(s)? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. After The Glitter Fades (Bella Donna)

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Every Day (Trouble In Shangri-La)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. I Can’t Wait (Rock A Little)

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. If Anyone Falls (The Wild Heart)

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (Street Angel)

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Rooms On Fire (The Other Side of the Mirror)

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. Sara (Fleetwood Mac, Tusk)

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  8. Say You Will (Fleetwood Mac, Say You Will)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. Secret Love (In Your Dreams)

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. Seven Wonders (Fleetwood Mac)

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  11. Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac)

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  12. Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins with Stevie)

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Wow! AFAIK, Stevie was sadly very much into drugs (I'm talking beyond pot) at that time, something she talks about openly now. In spite of the sort of persona she's created with her look and stage performances, one does get the impression from interviews over the years that she's an honest down to earth person. Thanks for sharing :)

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:eek: I had no idea about that! Wonder if that's what got her so much airplay the other day...someone suggesting they might take out Nicki Minaj?? :lol:

I just found out that Stevie wrote this for Joe Walsh. I think this is an amazing song, one of the most intimate and personal songs ever written. The reason I found that it was written for Joe Walsh is because I had heard some rumour that he had said something about Stevie being an easy lay or something to that effect. After reading about them, I think that's just something he said (if he said it at all) in a moment of anger after they broke up. From what I've read online, they dated from '83 to '86 after he opened for her on one of her tours. Excessive drug use on both their parts or his non-chalant attitude led to them breaking up (depending on which website you read).

Anyway, Has Anyone...was written for Joe after he told Stevie about the death of his young daughter. You can read about that here. After Stevie and Joe broke up, a heated exchange led Stevie to write "Welcome To The Room...Sara":

"Long Way To Go" is the third Walsh-inspired song of Stevie's:

By the way, from what I've read, Stevie said that Joe Walsh and Lindsay Buckingham were the two men she would have married and given up her career for (if they had asked).

3. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Oh...Stevie and Lindsey. One of my favorite topics...ever. I don't know if Stevie would've married him, but they really still have chemistry after all these years.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I loooove early Stevie Nicks, but this thread led me to youtube, where I very unfortunately watched clips of her recent live singing. It's.............awful :( She sounds more coked out than she did in the 80s. I know it's not drugs now, but her voice is just gone.

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I've always had a soft spot for her. I voted for 'Seven Wonders', I have it on my most newly created playlist , I've listened to it so many times and still never tire of it. I can say the same for Nightbird ,Rooms on Fire, Silver Springs and Landslide.

I remember a friend of mine was coerced into going to a concert she didn't like and she said 'I can't remember the singer's name, but she sounds just like a sheep" . I knew instantly she was talking about Stevie! :rofl: Mheeheeh , I lurves her sheep voice :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Not mentioned and one of my all time faves - Sable on Blond from Wild at Heart.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It hit the top 10 when it was released, but I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio since then. It's very quiet, intimate and understated so I'm wondering if radio sees it as bland and ignores it. Those three things I just mentioned are what makes the song great to me. Also, I've heard people on all the talent TV shows cover various Stevie songs, but never this one. Guess they go for songs which they can make over-the-top and this one is so gentle and subdued, they avoid it as they thing it won't make them stand out. So in these ways I think the song is overlooked.

Nice one! :respec: From the "Against All Odds" soundtrack (and later on her "Enchanted" box set).

That's a great choice too! :40beers:

8. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I remember an interview where she talked about how her voice coach was trying to get her to speak and sing in a higher voice because her lower pitch was what was damaging her vocal cords.

It's funny hearing her voice described as sheep-like, because I've always loved her voice, but I hate goat voices like Chris Daughtry's.

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

My favorites were on Peter's first list
    Rhiannon and Landslide.

10. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for sharing some of the history behind the songs, Peter. I remember on Story Tellers, Stevie talked about how the song Stand Back came to be. Some more information about the song can be found here:

http://www.inherownwords.com/standback.htm

I remember Stevie saying on Story Tellers that the song she heard that day was Little Red Corvette by Prince, and it had inspired her. Stevie also said that Prince went to the recording studio and played the keyboards for Stand Back.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Stevie Nicks and Prince demo: All Over You

Ever since I first heard this song, I wished they had finished it. I love the idea of Stevie as a Funk Mama. :respec:

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting about Stand Back! Will have to do a proper listen of Little Red Corvette and Stand Back back to back.

As for All Over You - there seems to be a lot of skepticism over whether or not it's her, him or either. It's possible of course, but also a distinct lack of proof - Stevie has told a story about going to Prince's house and jamming (not referencing this song), but other than the Stand Back story, there's no evidence of collaboration between the two and neither seems to have talked about this song. Artists jam privately all the time, but considering this has been in circulation for decades, you'd think one of them - Stevie who loves to tell stories or Prince who's so protective of his work - would have addressed it.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

In the link I provided, the description said something about, "let's see how long this stays up before some purple entity has it removed..." Often with demos or bootlegs there are multiple postings of the song, but there was only one for "All Over You". Which makes me wonder if Prince's people regularly are looking for it to be posted and then have it removed? (I've been listening to a lengthy wikipedia entry of unreleased Madonna songs and there are multiple postings for almost every song.)

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes, saw that and it's been up since May - Prince can make people take stuff down that he doesn't authorize, but what if it's not him - not sure what the law is on something that isn't him but is represented as him.

Was this not also from the period when Prince lost control of his name? It's possible that the song never saw the light of day because he doesn't have copyright on it.

Either way, with two artists this big you'd think there would be more discussion about it, and specifically from either or both of them.

Another one who's all over this stuff is Springsteen. Given that his concerts are always unique and often feature unrecorded material, bootlegs have always been part of the mix - I have a worn old cassette myself :) When he did his first live record in the mid 80s, he was smart enough to include a bunch of rarities - giving fans what they want without having to resort to bootlegs.

I once found a CD called Before the Music of very early Springsteen demos put out by the people who had recorded them, and it wasn't long before Bruce managed to get all the outstanding copies recalled.

Funny thing is it was the same store in suburban Atlanta where I got the Buckingham Nicks CD with all the extra tracks not on the album. Must dig it out and check the credits because it's no longer in print and may have been a dodgy release as well.

Happy to have both though. :shuffle:

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Silver Springs is one of the very best Fleetwood Mac songs. It is a great pity that it wasn't included in the original Rumours album. I think it would have been a major hit. As it is, it is the Fleetwood Mac song to which I listen the most nowadays.

The bit at about 4:55 son the Youtube with Nicks singing "You'll never get away" to Lindsay Buckingham is heartbreaking. :fragile:

16. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Oh my gosh! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, Peter! Stevie as "Funk Mama" sounds pretty cool. :respec:

17. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Great song and love the dress. I loved Stevie and Tom Petty as a duet. Another favorite off the Bella Donna album:

Edge of Seventeen

19. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Too bad "Stand Back" isn't in the choice list. That is what I would have chosen, not just because it's my favorite SN song, but because it's been a fcuker of a workday (my 26th anniversary here in fact), and it's a bloody wonder I didn't either go off on somebody or just walk out.

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm pretty sure Stevie and Tom Petty remain close to this day. If you didn't see the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers documentary, Running Down a Dream, watch the trailer, which shows Nicks saying she would have left Fleetwood Mac to join The Heartbreakers if Petty had asked her to do so. (BTW - if you like Tom Petty this is a must see film.)

21. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you for sharing the trailer. I definitely want to see the film.

Congrats on the 26th anniversary! You deserve a lot of respect for sticking with one job that long. I just hate it was a hell of a day for you. Hope it gets better soon!

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

A should-be classic. Alone the lines of "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?" - so intimate and personal. I think songs like this scare some people off because they are so open and honest. Simply a wondrous song! :respec:

I found this one in a discount bin at a store like an old Woolworth's sometime in the 70's, not sure if it was after the 1975 album or Rumours. But when I saw it, I freaked! I had probably read about it in Rolling Stone, but had never actually seen it. And here I find it and this poor kid finds a discounted-price version! I still have this LP. One day I will tell you all about when CFOX played the Tusk album in it's entirety...well after my bedtime and what I had to do to record it! :lol:

Very funny. I've seen pictures of you. You're not nearly old enough to know what an 8 track is!! :D

Simone411 likes this.
  23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

your check is in the mail.

we had a stack of 8 tracks and nothing to play them on. but no one would throw them out.

24. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

That sounds a lot like me. I still have several 8 tracks and albums. I'm still able to play the albums. I play my old Fleetwood Mac and Stevie albums quite a bit. It's a wonder they're not worn out. :lol:

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Record albums are alive and well my friends. New ones continue to be issued, old ones reissued, and collectors hunt down the optimal pressings of old ones. And they still make record players, only now they are rather expensive. :)

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I just stumbled upon an interesting article:

How Stevie Nicks Created A Coven Of Gold Dust Women

It's cool to hear from different women about how Nicks has affected their lives. I especially liked the part late in the article about a group of people picking various video clips to watch and these two are mentioned:

The first is powerful for being almost acapella and the second is correctly described as making your heart hurt just a little bit. :fragile:

FunnyBut, AliasJohnDoe and Simone411 like this.
  27. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

That it does. I remember watching that when it originally came out. It was heartbreaking.

PeterG likes this.
  28. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Wow! That just made my day, night and morning! Thanks for sharing that, ((((Peter)))). I needed it.

falling_dance, Veronika and PeterG like this.
  29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Too funny - this thread jumped out at me this morning, and it wasn't until I got to my own posts that I realized it was 2 years old :)

Peter I'm going to go through your links when I have time later today - thanks so much for digging these things up for us - but wanted to share another Stevie moment. Watching the final season of Californication earlier this year, there was a wonderful scene with Hank and Karen enhanced by a beautiful, haunting song - we replayed the scene and I said I swear that sounds like something Stevie would do, but it's not her singing, and I can't recall the song. Off to the rarities in our CD collection, and sure enough, it was a lovely cover of Silver Springs.

PeterG and Simone411 like this.
  30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I voted for "Sara" but this demo of Gypsy is hypnotic. I found a lot of Fleetwood Mac music to be overproduced, with too much going on. I prefer their demos and live performances, but I'm not shelling out $65USD for nosebleed seats when they come to Milwaukee soon.

Also want to give a mention to two of my fave Fleetwood Mac "Stevie" songs.

Angel

Fireflies

Simone411 likes this.