1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," - Jason Collins

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by dardar1126, Apr 29, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think this should be in sports, not PI.

I know there's been talk of NFL players possibly coming out, and many people have been wondering if this would happen soon in any of the American pro sports. Well done to Collins for leading the way - I hope that his example will show that there's nothing to fear about being honest and that others will follow suit.

A fair number of the comments on his SI column are disgusting; I'd like to think that it's a vocal and idiotic minority that should be ignored.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. Kasey

Kasey Radiating rainbows!

It's sad. The fact that it was thought better to put this article in this forum than the "Other sports" one show why such a personal thing is considered news.

4. dardar1126

I debated whether to put this thread here or in Sports. I chose here because there were no basketball threads in Sports (i.e. maybe no particular interest in the sport), and because of the gay angle. If the moderators feel it'd be better in Sports, then they can move it.

I'm so pleased that an ACTIVE player in an American major pro sport has come out. There have been plenty of players from football, baseball, basketball, etc. who've come out after they retired...but none as active players.

Recently there was discussion about several active NFL football players possibly coordinating coming out at the same time, thus taking the attention/pressure off any one guy. Maybe this announcement from Jason Collins will ease the way for gay players in other sports.

Gay people in entertainment have increasingly been coming out in a casual, no-big-deal kind of way...and no one has been making any real fuss over their "gayness."

Hopefully, this laissez faire attitude will eventually be the norm rather than the exception when anyone comes out...famous or not.

EDIT:

Jason Collins chose to make the "personal thing" public because of its historical importance. This is another "Jackie Robinson" moment for pro sports...the first member of a minority (LGBT people) to play openly in a major Big-3 American team sport. A courageous decision to be the first...but he will certainly not be the last.

EDIT2: via Twitter...

5. Zemgirl

In the first version of my post, I referred to some comments I saw before Collins came out, with people hoping that a "gay Jackie Robinson" will come forward. I don't think the challenges openly gay pro athletes will face will be anything near what Robinson had to contend with, but it's still a major deal.

Nice to see some support for Collins already - from his team, the NBA, and fellow players (ESPN story, SI story). And here's a nice statement from his twin brother.

6. dardar1126

Twitter is abuzz...congratulations and praise for Jason Collins is coming in from sports figures, politicians, the White House, gay rights organizations and just average folks:

EDIT: from his NBA team...

EDIT2: from the NBA...

7. dardar1126

I've asked Sylvia to merge the two threads and put the hybrid in whichever forum she likes.

EDIT: OK, I'm new to FSU. Apparently I asked the wrong person. :duh: I'll let those with the authority decide.

8. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

"first-ever active American male pro athlete to come out"

what about the figure skaters?? in the article i believe it says "in a team sport" which may be legit (not that i know my history) but to say the first EVER..... seems to take away from the figure skaters who have came out?!

9. dardar1126

True; some of the headlines are misleading. And there have certainly been many lesbian athletes who are out in their respective sports...basketball, tennis, soccer, golf, etc.

But for the typical sports fan the sports that show up on their radar are male team sports...especially football, baseball and basketball. In the past there have been male team sports athletes who've been quietly out to their teammates, but never one who was publicly out while still an active player.

10. Zemgirl

Although the days of true amateurism are gone, aren't figure skaters kind of by definition not pro athletes? Anyway, obviously there have been many competitive athletes who have come out; but none of them were men playing major American pro sports, until now. It's a big deal.

It's been really great to see the positive reactions to Collins' announcement so far.

11. dardar1126

12. dardar1126

Twitter:

13. overedge

overedge not your emotional support turkey

14. dardar1126

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Headlines are often written by someone other than the writer of a news article - it's been pretty clear in the texts I've read that the distinction is "first active male athlete in major league sports," which means the big four - basketball, baseball, football and hockey.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

17. dardar1126

Twitter:

18. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Is there anything about professional wrestling that isn't gay?

19. Kasey

Kasey Radiating rainbows!

I'm aware of this. I'm saying, it's a damn shame that this is even "news".

20. dardar1126

I agreed completely. Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future, it won't be "news." :)

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Even with the (phenomenal!) velocity of LGBT acceptance, I think we're still a few years away from this sort of announcement not being news. It IS news. And it's political news.

I'm thrilled that I actually feel like the day is coming when it won't be news, but we're not there yet.

I applaud Jason Collins :kickass: and those who've done the same in their respective sports. It's no mystery why a male football player coming out gets more press than Johnny Weir did - for one thing, pretty much any football player blowing his nose gets more press than any figure skater in the US, but also, skating is considered such a "feminine" sport that Weir's coming out is more akin to Sheryl Swoopes...so many assume that you are by virtue of the sport you play, but at the same time, your sport will do anything to deny that the stereotype is every true, because the only way to appeal to The Only Audiences That Matter is to keep on the straight and narrow, as it were. It's changing, very quickly now, because athletes are willing to go public while they are still active.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir

What a tremendous moment for professional sports. Thank you @jasoncollins34 for your strength and for encouraging ALL to play.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Tweeted by the Boston Red Sox:

We salute you, @jasoncollins34 for your courage and leadership. Any time you want to throw out a first pitch at Fenway Park, let us know.​

24. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  25. dardar1126

Twitter:

Because, of course, you look to ESPN for your spiritual guidance! :p

:HA!:

:respec:

:(

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah because figure skating is a sport that is taken seriously and that anybody cares about. :p

27. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

This is indeed inspirational in itself, Collins wasn't forced out by a scandal, and came out on his own terms. As Martina Navratilova has said, the more people come out of the closet, the more young gays and lesbians wil be able to feel they are not alone. I applaud Collins.

28. Zemgirl

FWIW, most of the coverage on ESPN has been positive, as it should be. I wonder if they're jealous of SI for breaking the story, though.

I agree; I'm happy that it was his choice to do this and he wasn't pushed out.

29. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2013...olor_who_paved_the_way_for_jason_collins.html

9 LGBT Athletes of Color Who Paved the Way for Jason Collins

EDIT2:

30. dardar1126

Twitter...a lot has happened in 16 years! :cool:

EDIT: And why there's still much more work to be done... :(

Gay people aren't BROKEN...stop trying to "FIX" them! :angryfire