Illusion spin

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by hanca, Oct 20, 2010.

1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I noticed that not that many top skaters do Illusion spin. Why is that? Does it still count as spin, with all those changes in rules?

If I wanted to use it in my program, where it would be best? In SP or in FS?

2. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

You will probably see it more this year, now that it counts as a difficult variation of an upright spin. You need to do 3 turns, though, IIRC. You will probably see it most as the final upright position in a combination spin that also has at least one other difficult variation in a different position.

3. MusicSkateFan

MusicSkateFan New Member

:p:p:p

I hate illusion spins.....almost as much as the "bend-over grab your ankle-upright spin!" Horrid position....esp for ladies in a dress!

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I hate bend down-grab skate upright spin too, but I love the illusion spin. :)

I think it is quite madness to persuade your head to go down and leg up while you are spinning (when learning the illusion spin).

5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Thank you Doubletoe. So it is counted as a difficult variation of upright spin? I thought that it would be counted as parallel spin...

I just looked through the ISU communication No 1611 and can't find there anything at all about Illusion spins. Where in the rules is is addressed? Can anyone help?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  6. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

OK, I just looked up the July 1 USFSA document where I saw it shown as an upright variation, and saw that it has since been deleted. Now the July 27 "ISU Technical Panel Handbook" on USFSA.org shows the illusion spin as a difficult variation of an intermediate position. According to page 8 of the document (Page 4 in the spin clarification section):

“Windmill (Illusion): is considered a difficult variation of an intermediate position IP, it must be done at least 3 times in a row to be counted as a Level feature."

So you should be able to do your illusion spin as part of any combination spin that already has two basic positions (such as camel and sit).

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  7. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Thank you, Doubletoe.

8. backspin

backspin Active Member

***backspin makes a mental note to never, NEVER attempt choreography for an IJS program*** :slinkaway:scream:

9. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

ok, I can do it once but what is the sekret for 3x? ps. I see this once in a lot of IJS footwork because it gets the head and shoulders below the knee.

10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I love Illusion spins! Watching them, that is. I can never get more than 2 before I fall over.

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member