Illegally parked and blocking driveway

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Murdoch, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

So, our neighbours have a huge fifth wheel RV. They used to have a smaller one that they could leave hitched up to their vehicle and park on the street, across their own driveway and just a little past the property line.

They had a second baby and have now added several feet to their new RV purchase. They now cover their driveway, the space between our properties and a few inches of our driveway. In accordance with bylaw, they can only be parked up to the property line. A few inches didn't bother me, but blocking us in (which today I was fully blocked in because of another vehicle parked across the street) and not being able to see anything when we pull out - it is frustrating. The maximum time it has ever been parked out front is 24 hours, but this week, it has been four out of seven days, with no evidence of them leaving any time soon.

I mentioned to the wife that we are having difficulty backing up and she said the only other place to park it was at the end of the road, but then they couldn't get power to it. I asked if they could pull forward to the other property line just to give us a little more room. She said sure. Her husband then moved it forward, but then their line wasn't long enough, so he moved it back.

Do I mention the bylaw or just call? I hate neighbour politics. Hate them. Common sense and common courtesy would be so much easier.

2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I'd call the police non emergency line.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Yeah. I'm all for being a good neighbor and occasionally putting up with some inconvenience but, if it's as you describe, it sounds ridiculous. Why do they need to get power to it?

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I used to have neighbors that would block my curbside mailbox. After several friendly reminders, to which they happily agreed and then ignored, I told them I would start parking my car in front of their mailbox. Then they listened after that. (Mailman would not deliver mail if the mailbox is blocked)

Maybe when they move the RV, you could hurry and park one of your vehicles in the space between your properties? Kind of passive-aggressive, but maybe they'll listen that way.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I wish I knew! I don't know what they are doing in there.

Thanks for the advice folks! Off to call bylaw...

Cupid - that is something my other next door neighbour would do for sure! LOL! Alas, they haven't moved it in three days (which if it doesn't move by tonight, that is another section of that bylaw violated).

6. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

You're too nice. Good luck.

I hate this kind of stuff. Usually I just bury my head in the sand. You're better than me. My solution was just to sell my house. lol

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If you're on good speaking term with your neighbor then I would try to explain the situation to *both* of them one more time though.

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Murdoch, since you have told your neighbors that they are blocking you in & they don't consider that more serious than not being able to plug in, you really don't have much recourse but to call the city. You can warn them one more time & tell them that even one time blocking your driveway is not acceptable & you will call code enforcement if it happens again. Then do it. The city will give them a citation every time they come out & the fine will be higher each time. At least it is in my city.

9. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Yep - great advice. Do they have people staying in it? 'Cause they shouldn't need power otherwise.....I would think.

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

or just crash into it and say OOPS- guess I cant make that tight turn ;) that might help them get the point - kidding aside- My neighbors frequently park in front of my house(and over my driveway) and have so many vehicles that it makes getting my van out a challenge- so i feel your pain- good luck

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Put a row of large stones along your property line. Then parking their RV will be all THEIR problem.

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

People like that make me :rolleyes: Could she really not see beyond her own "we can't get power anywhere else" to you not being able to safely leave your driveway????

I hope everything works out.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

this, or time to get a fence

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I think that's a good idea. If things are left feeling kind of vague, would it be a good idea to say something like, "Do you think I should call the city by-laws department? To get clarification on this issue?" That way you are involving them in what will happen...and that includes involving the city in something that a good neighbour (meaning them) would find a way to work out on their own. This way they won't be blindsided, as you've already brought up the possibility of involving the city in your affairs.

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm surprised that parking an RV across any driveway is allowed under the bylaws at all. In NYC, cops looking to make quota would start a ticket blizzard in various parts of Brooklyn & Staten Island, lol.

Give them one more try: buy a heavy-duty extension cord and ask them to pull forward more. If they don't comply, ask the police (non-emergency) to check out the street for parking issues.

16. milanessa

Not that I think it's happening but...the cops busted a meth lab in an RV parked in a shopping center lot here last week. :yikes:

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This was my first thought!!! LMAO! I watch too much Breaking Bad. :lol:

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Having had an RV and having a lot of relatives with them there are any number of reasons. If they are getting ready for a trip, they may want to start stocking the fridge and it needs power to keep the food fresh. Or they may have someone staying over and using the RV as a guest bedroom.

I'm not siding with them, btw. I think they are being rude. These are just reasons an RV might need power.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think this is a really good idea.

I hate selfish people who have no consideration for anyone else, particularly when it comes to driving and parking issues.

20. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Pardon the stupid question but can't he just get a longer line ?

21. milanessa

Too logical.

22. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

more reason for another friendly neighborly chat. Then we'd know why it's connected at all, maybe he ordered the longer feed and it didn't come yet, why they thought nothing of blocking the driveway in the first place, etc...

23. milanessa

The first time Murdoch backs out and hits a kid on a bicycle she couldn't see I'll bet it gets resolved. It's not just inconvenient, her neighbors are creating a dangerous situation.

24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's why she shouldn't be ASKING if she should get the city involved (per PeterG's advice), she should be TELLING them the city will be gettiing involved if the blocking doesn't stop immediately. Asking will only get her a "no" answer, whereas telling the neighbors what the consequences WILL BE puts her more firmly in control of the situation.

25. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Or park the RV in the driveway and move their cars out on the street (which would take up less space)? Or am I missing something?

Murdoch, whether they can get power to their RV or not is not your problem. It shouldn't be parked anywhere on your property and that's that. If you have to call the city, go right ahead.

Now I'm off to e-mail the HOA about some neighbors across the street who have one of their cars parked in front of my house. I live in a townhouse development, where we don't have driveways, just "common area" spaces in front of our house. Each house has 2 spaces, and the HOA has repeatedly sent out newsletters and e-mails reminding people that each house gets 2 spaces and if anyone has more than 2 cars, they need to park them in an overflow area near the pool. These neighbors (who are actually renters) have at least 3 cars. They had this particular car in front of my house in May and didn't move it for over a week. I complained to the HOA and it got moved, and now it's back.

I only have 1 car, so there is an extra space and everyone seems to think it's their extra space. And if I don't have any visitors coming, I don't care, but the problem is that visitors (like my next door neighbor's mother who comes over for dinner and stays for hours at least 3 times a week) who are used to parking on the end will just park in the next space (even if there are other empty spaces) and then I come home and don't have a place to park.

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Incredibly inconsiderate. I'd file a complaint with either code enforcement or your HOA, depending on whose rules apply. Or both.

We have a narrow street with a bulge right across from my driveway, and I've had to ask people several times not to park there because I can't then get in and out Once they understand, I've never again had a problem.

(In our area RV's aren't allowed for more than a couple of days -- not sure what the limit is since we don't have one -- but you definitely can't just park it there. )

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If you have a conversation with both of them, and they bring up the line issue, I would suggest asking them what their plan is to address that, and by when should you expect them to have done so? It puts the responsibility on them to come up with another solution that doesn't block you in, before you're forced to call in the city.

If they parked up to their own property line only, would you be able to see getting out?

28. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Murdoch, I live in Edmonton (adjacent to Sherwood Park for all of non Edmonton/Alberta FSUers) and I just dealt with a very similar situation not too long ago, while it wasn't nearly as dangerous, there was a car with Ontario plates on it that was parked in front of our house for eons, wasn't moved, we thought it belonged to our one set of neighbours who were extremely inconsiderate, Blabbing on the phone at all hours of the night, banging hammers on the roof at godforsaken early hours when most people are trying to sleep, making dope deals and the like, it wasn't moved, so we just called bylaw enforcement, most of the time it was a joke but they were here right quick and put a notice of warning on saying it it wasn't moved it'd be towed. Turned out it belonged to our other next door neighbours who we get a long with 95% of the time... :shuffle:

That being said if they're not willing to listen to reason, call Strathcona County bylaw enforcement and have them take care of it. I've heard there services are pretty good, so call them and I'm sure it will be taken care of in a timely manner. It's creating a dangerous situation and there's no need of it.