I'll miss Tanith and Ben!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icedancelover, Feb 23, 2010.

1. icedancelover

icedancelover New Member

I know that they aren't the BEST skatrs out there and they have a lot of harsh critics, but I'll miss them so badly.
    I started to wacth figue skating because of them in 2003 with their Elvis FD and since thta day I bacame a huge fan of them and huge fan of figure skating.
    I feel really bad when people trash them, or Tanith because of so many things (doll loock, O face, bad posture, bad lag lines, otyher skatrs have the very same probles and don't recive such bad critics).
    My litle sis have as ideols Tanith and ben, she always says thta when she grows up she want to be Tanith Belbin and i know thta they are US ice dance idols, they did a lot to the soport in US and cernetly they are very pround of everything that they achived.
    I was good to see them so happy this season even toughth it weren't their season.

I wish them the very best, lots of shows and that they don't desapier.

:encore::encore:
    Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shizuka

shizuka New Member

I'll miss them too :(
  3. ros01

ros01 New Member

Me too.

People used to criticize Tanith's skating, especially compared to Ben (who could make anyone look bad in comparison), but I think lately people have really respected her work ethic and dedication to improving. I think overall the response to them is very positive. I certainly wish them the best, whatever they decide.
  4. BackOnTheIce

BackOnTheIce New Member

I felt the costuming did them in. Why would anyone cover up those two beautiful humans? Linichuk really missed the boat on that one.
  5. nastasi1212

nastasi1212 New Member

I think everyone should respect them! They were the first to win a medal in ice dance for USA!
    I love them and will miss them!!!
  6. iDanceonice

iDanceonice New Member

Has it been officially announced that they are retiring? I, like most other people, are pretty sure this is their last season, but I was just wondering if there was conformation anywhere.
  7. Fleur

Fleur New Member

I don't think they announced yet, but they talked about this. I'll miss them too.

They could saty for another season, saty with linihuck just as coach and get another choreagrapher, maybe some young and frech, i don't know who could be this person.
  8. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

They suggested today on the today show that they have more or less decided to stop after this year, but may consider worlds.

I will miss them beyond belief... they have contributed so much to the sport, and it is very re-assuring to see so many comments in articles this morning talking about how the surge in N.American ice dance is due to them
  9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I say that Davis and White and Virtue and Moir should stay home from Worlds so Tanith and Ben can go and win. ;)

Hey, I can dream, right?

Seriously though, I would LOVE if they could find a way to put a more triumphant cap on their career. Vancouver was just so, so depressing and heartbreaking. I'd love to see them kick some serious rear in Torino.
  10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

11. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

I totally agree.... I suspect Davis/White will go to Torino, but I would not be surprised if both Virtue/Moir and Dominina/Shabalin decide to stay home.

Basically, I absolutely think they should go. I will respect whatever they decide, and feel their "place in history" is secure despite the disappointment of these games, but I'd love to see them end on a high note.
  12. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I'll miss Tanith and Ben as well. I'm not ready to give them up just yet :p. I knew the day would come when they would retire from eligible competition as all skaters do but it's come so fast. Or least it seems fast.

I've been following their careers since I first saw them skate in the Nationals exhibition in 2000. At the time I was totally in love with S&P. I was still :swoon: over Jamie and Justin's exhibition version of their Waltz OD when Tanith and Ben took the ice. The rest as they say is history.

Ben Agosto is one of the best male dancers out there and maybe it was the comparison to Ben that made Tanith look so bad to others. While Tanith did need to work on her polish, I've never believed (and never will) that the young woman I've watched for over ten years was as dismal as some insisted she was. Very few of the female icedancers on the international scene or even national truely had that ballerina look (I'm thinking Grushina, Navka, Matthews...) yet for some reason Tanith got slammed repeatedly far more than others. It's a shame.

While I was happy with the changes in B&A's skating after the move to Linichuk, I admit that I felt sad for Tanith when I read a quote attributed to her earlier this season in which she said that she felt she wasn't elegant enough to skate with Ben and that she was holding him back.

B&A have always been hard workers and more than willing to go that extra mile to continue to progress and develop their skating. Thinking back, B&A have indeed skated to a variety of different themes and have been entertaining through it all.

I'll miss them so much (along with my other favorite U.S. team N&B) but can't wait to see what new styles Tanith and Ben will get to try skating with SOI.
  13. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

I was never a fan of B/A but they have done so much for US ice dancing when we were crap until 05 or so because of them. They've led the way and now D/W are doing the same thing.

Thank you, Tanith and Ben. :)
  14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'll miss them too! I think they were SHAFTED this Olympics (should have got bronze). I'll always love their Elvis FD. lol.
  15. LaLola

LaLola New Member

I'll miss them and just like Carmen I am not done with them yet.
    I just have the hope that Tanith is to ambitious to end her career like that and they will go at least to worlds. Fingers crossed!
  16. Excidra

Excidra New Member

They are a remarkable team and there is no disputing that they are an integral part of both the success of D&V and V&M. Their silver medal in Turino swung the door wide open for all North-American ice dance teams to skate through. What I love about them is the positivity they project even in the midst of disappointing moments. They've been great role models to not only D&V and V&M, but to every single North-American ice dance team.

I got teary eyed today while reading an article on Tanith. She was an observer at a press conference for D&V and V&M. She praised both D&V and V&M and told them to enjoy every single moment of this journey. What a great person she is. They've earned my respect.

B&A ROCK ON :respec:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

^do you have the link to this article?
  18. Excidra

Excidra New Member

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Great article. Tanith & Ben were absolutely shafted at these Olympics. They should have been on the podium with the bronze medal. Thank goodness they will be skating in SOI. I will miss them so much when they stop skating together.
  20. Atena

Atena New Member

I just dremed last nigth thta david wilson made spetial choreography for a new FD for next season so they would saty one more with kick ass FD haha.

sounds crazy, but who knows, they could really get outside choreo.

But if they really stop competing they will do SOI.
  21. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

B/A were shafted, they deserved 3rd. F/S were too, they should have been 4th. But, that's what it is. I had always been a bit critical of Tanith's technique. I think that since going to Linichuk, she has improved. However, I think they lost out on choreography, and Linichuk's favoritism for D/S.

The outfits for both B/A and D/S were horrible. Linichuk likes to have control on outfit design and she has horrible taste. When Tanith's Mom was doing their outfits they were always tasteful.
  22. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

It would be SUCH a dream to have them go back to the original cut of their music and the COC dresses, and go to Worlds w/o the pressure of the Olympics and just skate as free as they can. Given the marks of v/m and d/w, they may not win- but I would much rather see them cap of their careers that way than with that program in Vancouver- and w/o D/S a historic North American podium is very much a possibility.
  23. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

:) I'll miss them very much but i think they might reconcider. And especially with D/S /or Shabalin /possible retirement i hope Nathalia finnaly will give them programs they deserve and retire with grace.:encore:
  24. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

well.......it would be amazing to see them win that 6th national title...perhaps they can squeak out another year while applying to universities, as both have indicated they would like to do that. Ah, one can dream...
  25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll stay in beyond Worlds. But I would like to see them go to Worlds. I am guessing that D/S will not go, Max's knees will probably dictate that. I would like to see B/A on the Podium one last time. Bronze is fine, assuming V/M and D/W go. I think that if D/S go, B/A should not. Not because they would not out skate them, but because I would hate to see them beaten by a weaker team again. D/S will be held up, why go through that again? And they should go without Linichuk, fire her a$$ and go alone if they have to. They're experienced enough, they don't need her.
  26. mariek

mariek New Member

I will miss them! I wish they got a medal, and thought they deserved it.
  27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I wish they will go to WCh in Torino.
  28. Fleur

Fleur New Member

i'll miss them too, many people may to be fans of Tanith and ben but everyone have to admit thta thei are good and they opened the door to this young american teams.

I hope they stay another season, get otehr coreagrapher, juts for pride.

I hope they lots of shoes, have fun and reach their dreams out side of the sport now. I was so glad with their performance at this Oly, they skated really well, and left the bulding with heir heads held high and pround of their friends.

Tanith and Ben are classy!
  29. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

Best wishes to them. They've done their "due" and competed in 2 Olympics. Have many medals to their credit, at national and world levels.
  30. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Unlike B&A, DomShabs actually had different costumes they were using for practice. They were gorgeous, done in red and black (with no creepy faces). You could have knocked me over with a feather when the final group took the ice for the warm up and DomShabs were back in those things from Europeans.

I wonder who gets the final say on which costumes get used. I thought that both Oksana's and Tanith's CD dresses were gorgeous (Oksana's even more so) so I can't say they have poor taste in general.
  31. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

32. pagsasham

pagsasham New Member

Tanith has AMAZING sportsmanship.
    She really would make a great broadcaster.
  33. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Love Tanith and Ben and how they've matured from the "young kids of US ice dance" to gracious champions. One thing I always loved at any event where they're competing is when they take the ice at practice and Ben just starts flying around the rink with a big smile and such joy in his skating. You'd never know they're in a big competition, Ben just seems like a kid having fun doing something he loves.
  34. Excidra

Excidra New Member

She's a great gal! A lot of talk has been made of the beauty that Tanish is at these games. I would not be surprised if a cosmetic company signed her to endorse their product.
  35. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Does anyone know what interview this tweet is referring to? and more importantly, where we can see it?

@TanithJLBBen_Agosto Saw you on US show this PM. What class you both have.Tanith, love to have you commentate. Very articulate.
    about 17 hours ago via web
  36. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

They did a fantastic interview on the Figure Skating Review/Preview Show on Universal Sports yesterday. As usual, they were fabulous. Maybe the tweet is referring to that.

When asked what their future plans hold, they talked about SOI, but did not mention Worlds.
  37. *Carol*

*Carol* New Member

Tanith its so classy, and she sems to be pretty happy about here her and ben's carear are today.
  38. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

aw, is this online at all? I would love to see it..
  39. dncrgrl

dncrgrl New Member

Good point. Their costumes for the FD made no sense to me. Tanith and Ben are in amazing shape. Why not dress them in beautiful costumes that actually go with the music. Poor Ben in that Elvis costume! And that dress did nothing for Tanith. She looks like a model. Couldn't someone have designed a nice dress for her...?!
  40. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Not sure. You could search YouTube for Tanith Ben Universal Sports Feb. 24 and maybe you'll find it. If Universal Sports has it's own website, mybe there would be a clip there.

Meryl and Charlie were on after them. Probably the most animated interview I've ever seen from them. Charlie was hysterical. Made some comment about how they really tried to get into character for there FD. He made some comment to the effect of, "We tried to think what would Christine do if she were to twizzle." Probably not doing the quote justice, but he had Peter, Terry, and Kristi laughing hysterically.