Iliushechkina and Maisuradze

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lclevers, Oct 30, 2010.

1. lclevers

lclevers New Member

Has anyone noticed how much potential last year's junior world champions, Lubov Iliushechkina and Nodari Maisuradze , have? I noticed them last year and I think that if they keep improving they could be future world medalists. Actually, there results from Skate Canada's sp speaks for itself...they are pretty damn good for a pair that doesn't have much experience competing at the senior level. For some reason they kind of remind me of Gordeeva and Grinkov (although they look nothing like them). I don't know it's something about their skating style, or maybe their size difference, she's very petite and he's very strong and very expressive. I think she's 18 but she looks so much younger than that. They are very good at both the artistic side as well as the technical. I like them a lot, they are lovely to watch. What do you guys think?

Here's a link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qiXyguZww

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love them! When they are on, they have everything. Lubov is an absolute star, but IMO, Nodari doesn't get enough credit. He's a rock! I can't remember the last time he missed an element.

Unfortunately, they're not on very often. :lol:

I hope she can land her jumps and throws more often this year. If they can manage a decent, mostly clean LP at Skate Canada this year (and win) that would be a huge confidence booster, I think. I really hope they can make the GPF.

3. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Two Russian young pairs (I/M and B/L) look really good so far and also Gerboldt/Enbert are promising (and Stolbova/Klimov), Russian Nationals is going to be exciting! Too bad there's not enough spots for all of them, and with K/S, V/T and M/B it will be hard to make the team... So no matter who will go to Euros and Worlds, I will be really sad anyway, 'cause excellent teams will have to stay at home.
    And yes, Lubov is a star, even Alena Savchenko said so few years ago, inconsistency is a huge problem, though. I hope this season they will skate clean more often!

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

They struggled a bit last year, and even a couple months ago in one of the Russia threads, some people were harping on them for not making enough progress/her for not landing anything. :rolleyes: :lol: As we saw today, patience is necessary with young pairs who show potential like this because when they are on, they can be quite good. All the younger pairs seem to go through growing pains. She's just about 19 and he's 22... plenty of time for them to develop and get more experience. There are much older teams in Russia who would be considered front-runners for the World team, so there's a good chance I/M won't get out of Nationals again, but I don't think there's any rush.

5. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

I think Russia deserves more spots in pairs for Worlds. They have SO many good teams!!! Nationals is going to be nail-biting.

Lubov is way too cute; her interview was just adorable! She's certainly one determined lady; Hopefully they'll skate well in the FS as well as for the rest of the season! I think they and B/L could make the GPF with good skates.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She definitely has the star quality. I hope they will be consistent in landing the jumps and throws and challenge for a podium spot at worlds. I liked them last year and they look even better this year. Definitely a pair to watch.

7. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

I love them too. Sadly their lp isnt good as their sp but still they can win skate canada if they skate clean. In Russian test Lubov landed her triple sal but fell on triple toe :(. I hope she can land both of them at skate canada today.

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Is Nodari of Georgian ethnicity? His name sort of sounds like it? Perhaps they could skate for Georgia???

9. Vash01

His name sounds Georgian. However, skating for Georgia may not be that beneficial to them. In FS it matters politically what country you represent. Also, how many pairs spots Georgia has would matter too. There have been times when a country would not get a single spot in the Olympics (Russian ladies in 1992 or 94, I think). If they medal at the Russian nationals it will help their career a lot. Also injuries can happen to skaters who are ahead of them, which could open doors for them. It happened to Bechke & Petrov in 1989.

The other thing is, I&M, B&L are still young. If they don't make the 2014 Olympic team they will still have a shot in 2018. I don't think K&S will be around more than 2 years. V&T will retire after 2014. M&B- not sure how old they are, but if they don't make the Russian team in the next two seasons they may want to skate for France for the 2014 Olympics.

If I&M really develop into a consistently good pair, I am sure doors will open for them very fast in Russia.

10. Vash01

I was a big fan of B&L, but after watching this program, I have to say I like I&M more. They need to develop unison in their spins and of course land everything consistently to move into medal contention at the world level. I think it could happen in 2012- may be even the Russian championship (depending on how V&T and other pairs do of course)

11. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Getting a re;ease to represent Georgia will be next to impossible. I can see all sorts of obstacles in their way and i can't see Natalia Pavolva supporting such a move either. Plus they will have to stay out of competition for more than one year after the release which for a very young team will kill their chances.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Everyone thinks every team is like G/G :lol:

I don't think Russia deserves more spots just because their teams are getting better, rules are rules. Maybe the rules needs to be changed as to how teams get to worlds, maybe based on a minimum scores.

But lets face it...there is no serious competiton for these teams at SC, in a way that's good; because some teams like I/M are going to win where they probably wouldn't have even got a medal before. But in some ways it's bad becuase they are not being pushed by the likes of K/S, P/T, D/D and S/S.

This is the weirdest GP season I can remember in a long time, if anyone would have told me at 2010 worlds that B/L or I/M or even would be fighting for a 2010-2011 GPF bronz medal I would be wondering who spiked the punch with cold medicine to take out the rest of the competition.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree and besides, the concept of their teams getting better is just hype at this point. V&T, M&B, and G&E have not skated in major competitions yet. Stolbova & Klimov are just juniors.

There's a lot of teams that potentially could skate very well, but it hasn't happened yet. Half of them will probably crash and burn at Nationals anyway, so it won't be that much of a hurdle to make the team. If B&L and I&M can continue to land their jumps, they'll be fine. And I think it's good that there is enough competition that they actually need to skate well in order to go to Worlds. I don't want to see a repeat of the Russian performances from Vancouver.

14. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

besides the fact I cannot pronounce their names I LOVE them! they are Russian pairs at their best- speed, elements- OOOHHH factor! love them!

15. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

I didn't like this team so much when they debuted last year, but after watching their SP, i think i've changed my mind. Their SP is soo complex...and both are such wonderful performers!! They have the it factor, imo. I'd like to see this team make it to senior worlds asap, they can most certainly challenge B/L when they skate clean. Lubov's interview with CBC was :lol::lol::lol:

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

And now they just have to keep it together a little bit with travel to China and back-to-back events... but if they do, they make the GPF ( keeping my fingers crossed)

17. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

I don't think they should have a problem doing that...a silver is very likely next week.

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

They should win atleast bronze this coming week. That would be enough to get them in barring something unlikely though. They could get silver of course but the young Chinese might be a threat to them.

The Russian World team is going to be tough this year with 4 strong teams vying for 3 spots.

19. TracyF

TracyF New Member

Who does their choreography? I didn't see their SP, but their LP was kind of a mess, to me. I couldn't decide if it was their lack of polish in the program or the choreo, but I felt the choreo had very little connection with the music and really didn't work for me. Apart from THAT, I think they have tons of potential. Lovely lines, inventive lifts, smooth.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

6 strong teams vying for 3 spots, not 4!

21. Vash01

Just watched their LP. Loved her reaction in the K&C. She has a nice personality. Her partner is rather bland though. He needs to work on his posture and do some stretching.

There were some mistakes but a great win for them- I think first time at the senior level?

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Make it 7:hat1:
    K/S, V/T, B/L, I/M, G/E, S/K, M/B.
    Stolbova / Klimov are on Junior Curcuit, as well, so maybe they can get better ISU points there. And we have not seen M/B yet in a competition. Still, potentially 7 strong teams.

23. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Add me to the list of fans for I&M. I really liked them last year, but I thought her jumping would hold them back. I'm glad it looks like she's improved a lot this year in the jumping department. They have a special quality about them!

24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No, first time they went to senior level was 2 years ago (2008-2009). They have done reasonably well at Europeans (they were 5th) but then they didn't go to worlds, I think Maisuradze was injured.

Last year they had some problems (she suddenly couldn't land her jumps) and then placed at Russian championships at 4th (behind Bazarova-Larinov) so they were not sent to Europeans and Worlds. (only 3 slots, so Bazarova and Larinov went to Europeans and worlds.)

This pair was very good at 2007-2008 (second at junior worlds) and 2008-2009 (first at junior worlds). They had some trouble last year, but I really hope they overcome that now.

25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I really like them. They have a very nice quality. I still see potential in them, not full realization just yet. They need more speed. If they improved that and also their spins, the program would feel more cohesive. I hope they continue to improve. Their win at SC was a huge boost for them, I'm sure. I love their program.

26. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

:confused:
    They already look very short-track-esque. I don't think they need more speed otherwise they'll look like all those North American pairs whose skating looks like messy senseless chase.

27. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

I am a fan too but they desperately need a decent coreography :(

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What's wrong with their choreography? I have been following them for the last 3 years and there is nothing wrong with their choreography.
    What they need is consistency; to make sure that they keep landing their jumps (especially Lubov).

29. lclevers

lclevers New Member

They remind me of G & G in the way they move, and I don't think they are trying to remind us of them, which is a good thing. It's just a very natural quality that they have about them but it's easy to oversee that with all the difficult elements pairs have to perform today. Really, that's what I hate about pairs now because everything is so difficult it's very hard to have a perefect program. He is very balletic and expressive which I really love, reminds me of the late Sergei Grinkov. She too has those qualities along with a very natural youthful look like Ekaterina Gordeeva. They also have a bit of humor in their skating (watch their sp) and I think he's especially good at playing that character. They probably don't have the most difficult programs yet, but if they can stay consistent throughout the year then they can possibly stay by the Chinese. All they need is for the Chinese to make a mistake or two (which they do at times) and then I think this young russian team will enjoy some spotlight. But that is only if they perfect all their jumps and throws. The chinese have the techical edge but I think they are still lacking in artistry a little. This russian team doesn't seem to have a problem with artistry because they look like they have a natural originality about them, which is russian tradition. They have all the same tricks that the Chinese have, now they have to put the whole package together, which they nearly did at Skate Canada except for their spins and a throw. These two seem to do everything by the textbook and when they are on they are near perfection (lifts, jumps, throws, expression). If this team can match the Chinese in technical difficulty then I think they'll have an artistry edge over them as well. If you think about it, that's why G & G were so superior over everyone else, because they weren't only good technically but also presented great artistry. This team is young and talented and I think they will build from here on.

30. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Please share, I didn't see it.