Igor Sphilband= Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Original Cat, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Original Cat

Original Cat New Member

Who wouldn't agree that Igor deserves to be named Coach of the Year?
  2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

marina zoueva
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: That was quick.
  4. kapriza

kapriza Member

:rofl:
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Igor *Shpilband* , myabe.
  6. madm

madm Active Member

My vote is either for Frank Carroll for Denis Ten's amazing transformation, or for John Nicks for AshleyWagner's sustained #1 position in U.S. women and successful attempt to get 3 spots for US women in Sochi!
  7. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Hey, Igor started without any students except Tobias & Stagniunas and Chock & Bates and no rink.

He then attracted a large group of students, Marina Klimova & Barbara Fusar-Poli as associates, and managed a number of really good achievements:

1. Chock & Bates went from 5th place at US Nationals to 7th at Worlds, and winners of WTT, bronze medalists at 4CC's.
    2. C&L won a bronze small medal for their FD, their first Euros medal, 4th at Worlds (their highest placement)
    3. He's had the Reeds a very short time, and he somehow got Chris Reed to stand up on twizzles in both the SD and FD at WTT.
    4. Carron & Jones placed much better this year at Worlds (although they were a dead loss at WTT)

So yeah, Igor. He made more of a difference for more teams and started with nothing but a formerly good reputation with scars from the Canton firing.
    Heck yeah.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the PSA's Coach of the Year award? If so, isn't it a USFS award, and based on accomplishments coaching U.S. skaters? If so, John Nicks, Tom Z, or Marina would be more obvious choices this year. I do think Igor has done an amazing job with the teams he's coached, but in the past, the award always seems to go to the coaches of nat'l champs/world medalists/world champs.
  9. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yes, I'm sure that the PSA coach of the year award won't be Igor; I just think his recovery & this year's achievements have been remarkable.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Zueva and Nicks tie.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Agreed. He started with practically nothing, other than his name. He is rebuilding his reputation as a coach from ground zero. He has achieved success in a very short time.
  12. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Nina Mozer, Stansilav Morozov and Marina Zueva
  13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yup. I am very impressed with Igor this year. What a way to pick up the pieces and prove his relevance.

There were wonderful coaching stories this year- Zhulin transforming B/S, Carroll sticking with Ten to a glorious result, Dickson leading Alex Johnson's ressurgence, Nicks keeping Wagner strong... but I'd happily agree with Shpilband and C/B being one of the wonder stories.
  14. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

PSA Coach of the Year, I think, will be Marina Zoueva.
  15. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

Igor didn't have to rebuild his reputation, he had to rebuild his skating school. It is his reputation that helped him successfully rebuild so quickly.

I agree he and his skaters had a great year. Igor seemingly did not miss a beat.
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I would give coach of the year, for the US skaters, to John Nicks, personally, for what he's done with Wagner the past two seasons.