If Yu Na Kims wins 2nd Olympic Gold at 2014 Olympics would she be best ever?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Dec 20, 2012.

?

Would you consider Yu Na Kim best ever with 2nd Olympic Gold

Poll closed May 4, 2014.
  1. yes

52.7%
  2. no

47.3%
  1. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

Time for Witt to get out her Yu Na voodoo doll and start sticking pins in. :p I wish Yu Na all the best next year though.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. munow

munow New Member

Yuna is a good spinner, not the best positions (still good enough anyway aside from that layback her haters enjoy repeat on and on) but fast enough and well-centered. Her steps aren't slow either. Although not as complicated as Carolina's or Asada's, she uses deep, clear edges effortlessly throughout and she covers a lot of ice with her speed. Just because you "think so" doesn't make it right.

And in the practice video, Yuna slowed down the footwork in tune to Bells of Moscow.

3. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

For the record, Carolina did all 5 different triples with right edge (leaving out 3A, of course) in this competition.In fact that her 3L in FS turned out to be single, but she had a wonderful one in the SP. She has brought back all the difficulty, she couldn't do due to injury, including 3F-3T and 3Lz and all her jumps have excellent quality. So she hadn't left out difficulty this year.

And back on topic, every single fan has their own great skaters. I don't think a medal do the skater greatest. Times have different great skaters and personal taste do the rest. Someone like more one skater than an other who leaves him/her cold.
    YuNa is definitely great, she does effortless programs. But I don't think you can name one skater greatest of all time. For me, other skaters involve me more and they are my heroes and greatest skaters, no matter medals or achievements.
    There can be more than one great skaters in the same time, each with his/her own beauty and that is what is great. I love this time where we have many skaters who, on a given day, can skate really great programs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

Yes she would be. I really only compare eras since 1989 as for me that is when ladies skating being really competitive with 5-7 triple programs really program. She would have the best career of anyone in that time span. Better than Yamaguchi who probably had the best career since 1989 to now. As for her skills I would say she is the 2nd best jumper ever after Ito, best toe jumper of all time, perhaps the best overall technical skater considering all facets of technical skating (jumps, spins, footwork, spirals, stroking) is one of the best ever in skating skills and edge flow, as well as overall musical intereptation and elegance. She also isnt weak at anything, even the worst aspects of her skating like spirals and posture are still strong, atleast 7 out of 10 for elite standards.

os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

Lets look at Witt and her big titles shall we:

1984 Olympics- mediocre event. Her arch rival Rosalyn Summners succumbed to Olympic nerves and did a very poor short and long program, and still was .1 from one judge from beating Witt for the gold by winning the long program. Had Sumners done her 83 Worlds LP she would have won easily considering she came as close as she did with a relatively poor skate (and that Witt skated a much better LP at the 83 Worlds and still lost it to Sumners there). Witt herself skated so so and overmarked figures, excellent short program, and a so so and lucky to win long program with popped jumps, a few shaky moments and poor choreography. The best free skating of the Olympics considering both short and long programs was probably done by Chin and Zayak who both sucked terribly at figures at the time so were never in contention other than a real long shot at the bronze, which went to a hideous Russian skater.

1984 Worlds- An even weaker event than the 1984 Olympics. Sumners and Chin did not even skate, the Russian ladies melted down in the long after good figures and short. Witt had no competition for the gold, she could have done one triple and won it given how the event played out.

1985 Worlds- OK I will admit she skated very well to win this one and it was a pretty good event. Still only one of her main competitors was clean and that was Ivanova.

1987 Worlds- Very impressive how she won with her best ever long program but weak figures and a weak and overmarked short program.

1988 Olympics- Never should have won. Thomas should have been way ahead of her after figures and the short, and Manley should have beaten her overall as well.

1988 Worlds- Won by default, this was an even worse event than the 84 ones, and anyway Manley should have won as she clearly beat Witt in figures and the long program.

Her wins were a combination of luck, poor competition, competitions who couldnt overcome the figures value then, and poor judging. Nothing like the greatness of Yamaguchi, Kwan, Midori Ito, Tara Lipinski, Irina Slutskaya, Mao Asada, and Yu Na Kim.

6. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

To be fair, you would have to eliminate Michelle's trips to Worlds when she would not have been eligible because of age. Unfortunately, that would eliminate 1996! But, just starting with '97, she went 9 times and won 4.

7. amaro

amaro Active Member

No, I am not a 5 yr old or her mom. I am simply saying based on my experiences. I heard about Yuna's spin position or body turn-outs but never heard anyone saying her skating or footwork is slow unless the statement was from Maobots. Her footwork being memorable or not is a more subjective matter so it will be difficult to verify, but do go check the validity of your argument yourself at least on her skating and footwork speed on Youtube and show me a clip that proves me otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  8. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

it kills me that sonia henie has 3 olympic golds and 10 world championship golds

WTF?!!

9. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

Ok. And just because you don't bother to preface your opinions with "I think" doesn't mean you're right either.

I just checked the validity of my argument and found out that her footwork is slow and unmemorable :(

10. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

I thought her footwork in Dance, El Tango de Roxanne and even in her Homage/Arirang program was really good and memorable. That's just my opinion before someone labeled me as a Yunabot. :rolleyes:

11. amaro

amaro Active Member

Yuna's programs are considered to be some of best choreographed ones in the sport by experts and reporters, and many articles and commentators praised her Le Miserable program for its artistry and sophistication, speculating that is perhaps the best program she has done in her career. Can't agree more with the general view. I hope I haven't seen her best program yet, and hope she comes up with something that can top it for her final season.

12. sadya

sadya Active Member

I love that program. I like it better than her sp this year.

13. amaro

amaro Active Member

Agreed. I find her sp to be beautiful for its own right but a bit cold. After all, the program is about vampi.

14. karlon

karlon New Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

My favorite ever programs of hers was her 2007 short program and her 2009 and 2011 LPs (although the latter sadly was never skated at her potential).

16. kwanlysacek

kwanlysacek Member

How the heck is Yu Na overhyped Kim winning this poll. Have any of you ever heard of Michelle Kwan, the undisputed best and greatest female skater in history.

17. kwanlysacek

kwanlysacek Member

Lets be reasonable and compare Kim to the real Kween people:

World and Olympic titles- Kim would have 4 to 5 for Kwan even if she wins Sochi.
    World and Olympic medals- the Kween has 11, and Kim would only have 8.
    Quality of competition- the Kween had way harder competition. Amazing skaters like Lipinski, Chen, Hughes, Cohen, Suguri, Butyrskaya, Slutskaya, Liashenko, Bonaly, Bobek, Ito, who were all capable of easily beating Kim had they faced her.
    Longevity- the Kween
    U.S titles- 9 for the Kween to 0 for Kim (and given the depth of the U.S women she might have 0 even if she skated U.S Nationals).

Jumps- Kween does all triples except the triple axel and 7 triples a program. Kim does neither. Kwan has better quality jumps that get higher GOE had she competed under COP.
    Spins- Kween easily, Kim doesnt have good spins.
    Spirals- Kween by a ton.
    Artistic- Kween by a ton. Kim has bad positions, no musicality, robot skater.

18. iarispiralllyof

LOL reading your posts it's obvious that you're a Yunabot who made an account to troll.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but people should really take a moment to browse through Kwanlysacek's posts. I think an IP address check should be in order.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  19. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Last time I checked, Yunabots don't call Yuna "overhyped" and a "robot." Sounds more like someone who dislikes Yuna, and there are plenty of those kinds of folks at FSU.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  20. iarispiralllyof

Have you ever heard of trolling?

It's one thing to dislike Yuna and adore Kwan, but it's another to be so over the top and outrageous about it that it can't be anything other than satire or trolling. Read some their other posts, many of which make claims that bring attention to Kwan in a negative way, all the while referencing Yuna. That brings up red flags.

This isn't new. Yuna fans have been claiming since forever that Mao fans made fake accounts to make Yuna fans look bad.

I mean can anyone re-read this comment of theirs please? It's comedy gold.

:lol: They think Chen, Cohen, Suguri, Butyrskaya, Hughes, Bobek, Bonaly, Liashenko would ALL easily beat Yuna? :lol: What an insult! Not to mention how they harp on Yuna, a South Korean, for having 0 US championship titles? :lol:

How naive can people be if they're going to take this guy seriously

Edit: I don't want to piss off Yuna fans in general who have been very classy on this forum, I just can't help but call out an obvious troll when I see one.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  21. sadya

sadya Active Member

They're also bothersome on YouTube. Everytime I want to enjoy a program by Asada or Kim and then scroll down to see if someone posted an informative or a nice comment or gave interesting feedback about liking or disliking aspects of those programs, I see a lot of troll like people saying horrible things about both skaters. It's also done to other skaters. :(

22. karlon

karlon New Member

:rofl:

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I'm an MK fan, I love, love, love MK's skating. But I'm devastated by reading Kwanlysacek's posts !

24. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

:eek::rolleyes::huh::scream::EVILLE:

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl:

:kickass:

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  25. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

I guess that kwanlysacek = Andofanatic who created this thread 'before Worlds' and is a yuna hater pretending to be an ando fan.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  26. angelflies

angelflies Member

Unfortunately yes. I hate to say that as I cant stand her skating. What is worst of all is she is most likely going to do it too, and be considered by most as the best skater ever. The only good news is she will be retiring after the 2014 or 2015 Worlds, god hope she doesnt make another "comeback" starting in 2017 with the Olympics being in Korea next year though. I hope if she tries that they ban her.

27. karlon

karlon New Member

As a her fan, this post is so sad and heartbreak to me.

She was announced she will retire after Sochi.
    If there is any variables, probably the k federation.
    If the Korean Skating Union or Korean Olympic Committee has decency they will not try to coax her to return to 2018 olympics.
    Probably she will not return again.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  28. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

There are many who dislike her intensely like the above poster. Wanting Yuna banned from skating is one of the more civil suggestions I've heard from them. Such people exist. Get used to it.

29. SkatingAnalyst

SkatingAnalyst New Member

Yuna already is the best female skater ever !
    Everybody has his own favorite skater.

We can only decide the best ever ... BY VOTING ...

And Yuna will come out as a CLEAR WINNER.

Figure skating : Yuna Kim
    Boxing : Ali
    Basket Ball : Michael Jordan
    Tennis : The Swiss guy(forgot his name)
    Soccer : Pele

30. SkatingAnalyst

SkatingAnalyst New Member

Candidates for the SECOND PLACE.

Tara , Kristi , Midori , Katarina , Mao .....

I prefer Katarina... only because she was beautiful on the ice.