If Yu Na Kims wins 2nd Olympic Gold at 2014 Olympics would she be best ever?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Dec 20, 2012.

?

Would you consider Yu Na Kim best ever with 2nd Olympic Gold

Poll closed May 4, 2014.
  1. yes

52.7%
  2. no

47.3%
  1. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Glad to read this. And Merry X-mas! :)

2. Dyu

Dyu New Member

Well said.

3. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

My current best skaters ever:

1. Kristi Yamaguchi
    2. Sonja Henjie
    3. Yu Na Kim
    4. Midori Ito
    5. Janet Lynn
    6. Katarina Witt
    7. Carol Heiss
    8. Dorothy Hamill
    9. Peggy Fleming
    10. Tenley Albright
    11. Madge Syers
    12. Herma Plack
    13. Irina Slutskaya
    14. Mao Asada
    15. Michelle Kwan

So I currently have her 3rd, if she wins another Worlds it might already put her up to 1st, another Olympic Gold for sure would.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Many people consider the Protopopovs the standard for pairs skating.

5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'll consider her ONE of the best skaters ever. But THE best? No. I don't know if there will ever be any one skater or pair of skaters that would be considered the best ever. Such a thing is so subjective.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

She is already is one of the best ever even if she retired today.

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No if winning the Olympics is the way you measure greatness then it has to be Sonja Henjie.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes, and if we are being objective, as Cachoo posted, Sonja Henie is still the best. Yu Na will have to make it to her 2018 home Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

As far as subjective goes, I don't think we should consider a skater to be the all time best who has some major flaws, such as the ugliest spiral and bad feet.

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

No, Sonja holds that title, however if Yuna wins an unprecedented second Olympic Gold Medal, then for sure she goes into second place. SHE combines beautiful artistry with technical precision, something very very very rare in skating. Jmho.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  11. theguitarist

theguitarist New Member

Instead of debating whether Yuna could be the 'best skater ever,' I would like to think about her impact on the skating world and fandom in terms of 'innovation' and 'novelty' she brings to them. For example, those who are on the fence about Yuna often complain that she is not as ' 'balletic' as Mao. 'Balletic' in this sense means for me 'conventional,' 'traditional,' rather than having anything much to do with ballet per sei. 'Balletic' also reminds me of trite musical repertoire, heard a million times on the ice, like Chopin's nocturnes or Swan Lake indeed. Aesthetically speaking, Yuna's greatest quality for me is that she is an out-of-the-box skater, using an entirely different set of expressive tools, and her showmanship has neither the north American flavor or the Russian flavor (of Russian as well as Japanese skaters). This, I believe, is an aspect that should interests skating fans. Just how much longer can figure skating hope to stay relevant with its balletic postures and year-end Tchaikofsky ballet tunes?

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  13. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I think different fans has different greatest skaters. A medal don't necessarily make a skater the best ever :).
    There are performances who are better or much better than others, skaters with different beauty worth to see. I don't see how YuNa is innovative ... but that's personal taste. How will you measure best? The one who got most money, yes, definitively. She is a great technician, that's true, but not the only one. Best ever ... she is quite young, we don't know what she will achieve, but you can't really compare different eras, different expressions. Skating had developed, but injuries too. The best is always the one who catch your attention completely, and maybe the same skater cant catch me. So I think there will never be a best skater ever, but ones who you love most, in that time.

14. jatale

jatale New Member

I feel just the opposite. I find the James Bond music to be clever and exciting and current. This is all a matter of individual taste, that is why you'll never get a consensus on anything "artistic", everybody has their own opinions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  15. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Probably so. Cant think who else it would be. I guess the question is who do most people consider the best now and who would Kim being compared too. I could be wrong but it seems most are thinking Michelle Kwan is the best ever now and Kim with a 2nd Olympic Olympic Gold I would easily say is better than her.

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

First of all, it's spelled "Henie", not "Henjie" and any serious figure skating fan knows this. Any serious skating fan is also well-aware of Sonja's accomplishments both as a competitive skater and as a professional skater. She popularized the sport back when the only visual mass-media in existance was the movies (there was TV during the 1930's and 1940's - my hometown boasts the first-ever TV station from 1929 - but access was severely limited) and, if you were lucky, you lived close enough to a venue that was booking her ice show so you could see her live.

17. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

I made this thread to jinx Kim since I dont like her and I want Ando to win the next Olympics. Go MIKI!

18. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Well, I think the world "best" is very subjective... everyone has a different perspective and definition regarding what "best" means.
    I think "one of the best" would have been a better term to use.

19. karlon

karlon New Member

"If someone asked me who they should look at (across the generations)
    I would say Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Katarina Witt and definitely Yuna. There isn't a move Yuna makes that doesn't give her points,"
    Robin Cousins

i totally agree with one of the legend, robin cousins's
    To me, women legend is katarina witt(first), janet lynn, dorothy hamil, yuna kim.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  20. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

You're disgracing your favorite skater and yourself. Use your metality!

21. karlon

karlon New Member

absolutely.

It is impossible to precisely compare skaters from different eras.
    Rules change. Athleticism increasingly demands its place alongside artistry.
    yamaguchi said "“How do you compare that to Sonja Henie?(with yuna) Everything is relative to the time and era.” "Certainly, it has taken women’s skating to another level. Technically. The whole package.”

hmmmm ...Yuna(until the 2010 OG), the most part of praise, 'perfectly combination of artistry and athleticism'
    Never have athlete and artist been more perfectly balanced than they are with Kim in this rule.
    I remembered that the legends praised her for this reasons.

michelle kwan "I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism."
    dorothy hamil "The whole thing is very beautiful and athletic but not too athletic. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything when I watch her."
    Peggy Fleming "She has the combination of the technical elements and the grace and musicality, and that’s what you want in skating"
    tara lipinski "yuna kim, who push the envelope tech and combine it w artistry."

i feel that so many haters on here..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  22. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

I think this thread is created to diss Yu-Na by making people arguing against her. Successful scheme, Andofanatic! Your mission accomplished :)

23. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

So overscored again. Such an overrated skater. Ando is coming back to win the Olympics next year.

24. Shaia

Shaia New Member

sigh... I knew some Yuna-basher would revive this... big thumps down to you.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Before these worlds, I had answered No. However, after watching her at worlds, I think she is pretty close to being the best ever if she wins her second OGM.

26. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Miki Ando is the best skater of this era, Mao second, and Yu Na a distant third. Remember what happened at Worlds the two times Miki skated perfectly. Yu Na could not win. Actually in 2011 Miki didnt even skate her best and stil beat Yu Nas best. She is just better when she is on. Yu Na benefits form the inconsistency of Miki, Mao, Carolina who would all clean her with clean skates even if she skated her best. Yu Na is so consistent she always skates well yet she has lost 4 of the last 6 Worlds, and even been 3rd twice, only since when Mao, Miki, and Carolina are also on, and sometimes when they arent even totally, she cant win regardless what she does. They control her fate, not she her own.

27. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

:scream:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Shaia

Shaia New Member

Yes. We agree. So please why don't you just create a poll asking whether Miki is the best skater ever instead.

29. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

She is so underrated nobody would vote for her so why bother. I also dont think Miki is the best ever, just best of her era. The best skater of the last 15 years is a toss up between Michelle Kwan and Miki Ando. Ando is the far better jumper, better spinners, and better at footwork, but Kwan is a bit better in spirals and artistry. Best all time is Ito, Lynn, Hamill, or Henjie probably.

30. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

What is so funny about that. Do you forget Worlds 2011 where a certain someone kicked Queen Yu Na behind even though she skated her best.