If Yu Na Kims wins 2nd Olympic Gold at 2014 Olympics would she be best ever?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Dec 20, 2012.

?

Would you consider Yu Na Kim best ever with 2nd Olympic Gold

Poll closed May 4, 2014.
  1. yes

52.7%
  2. no

47.3%
  1. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

If Yu-Na wins Oly Gold in Sochi she will join a very elite group of skaters to have won two Gold Medals at the Olympics. As to the best ever...............nope. Love her. But The Best Ever? I join those who say there is no way to select that . Don't even know how you would begin to judge.
  2. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Lol. The the only reason why this thread exist is because it will jinx yuna's comeback even more. After all i know many people are praying and hoping that she will bomb.

And there's no such thing as the best ever. Different set of rules. Different competitors. Different era.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

IF I am Yuna, my thinking will be .....
    Who cares whether my programs are the best or worst ever; or that I win by 20 points or a mere 0.01 point. A GOLD is a GOLD. It is all that matters. :)
  4. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I like the name “Kween”. It reads cool and sensible. :)

The notion that the Korean public or the fans generally call Yu-Na as the “queen” is misconception. I’ve never seen anybody calling her “Queen Yu-Na” in real conversation. It’s true the Korean media usually refer to her as “figure skating queen Kim Yu-Na” in the opening statement of their reports. But it’s not much different from foreign media addressing her as “Korean skating star” or “Korean skating queen” in the beginning of their articles. The Korean media began calling her “the skating queen” after the 2008-9 season, when she spent the whole season healthy and won the WC. I also remember NBC’s Universal Sports headlining her WC win with the phrase “Long Live the Queen”, a year earlier than the exclamation made by Tom Hammond at Vancouver. It’s just a clichéd definer used by the media, I think. Anyway, Yu-Na herself seems not fond of being called the “queen”. She said in an interview after the NRW that she feels rather embarrassed with it.

The nickname given to her by the fans earlier was “Iron Butterfly” during 2006-7, IIRC. “Iron” was not to mean she’s physically superhuman, but to refer to her strong will to skate through injuries. I liked it, since it suited her situation then and conjured up multiple images (her LP of that season was the Lark Ascending). But it was never widely recognized or adopted by the Korean media at the time.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  5. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I don't think Yu Na is or will be the best ever, even if she wins in Sochi. She will be among the best at the Olympics--only Sonia Henie and Katarina Witt have more than one Olympic gold in figure skating, if I am recalling correctly. I do think Yu Na is the second best ladies jumper, after Midori Ito and far and away the best at doing the triple-triple, not only well but also consistently.
  6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, I love this nickname! It's so like Yuna that she feels embarrassed about her being called "queen." :lol:
  7. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I know quite a few (myself included) who would consider the Protopopovs to be the greatest ever. Then there's R&Z who took no prisoners. IMHO both of their runs were more impressive than G&G
  8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

To me, Yuna is already one of many great skaters that I love to watch and that I'm amazed by. It would be impossible for me to name one exact skater that is the greatest because there are so many that meet those qualifications in my book. :)
  9. sadya

sadya Active Member

She'd be one of the best competitors ever, as Witt was, but not necessarily the best skater ever.
  10. os168

os168 Active Member

Usually the best or the greatest can only be appreciated at least a few decades on to see if their legacy can really withstood the test of time. That is why the greatest film today is Citizen Kane (in the UK at at least), in the next 50 years? It might be something else.

Sometimes it could just comes down to sentimentality. Which is why Midori Ito will always be the best ever in Japan + beyond to those who appreciate jumping abilities the most (like many fans in China). Or that Kween is the best ever certainly in N. America who appreciate her overall package and a long illustrious career who boost skating sport front and center at the world's Superpower (and probably boost Asian female confidence so much all around the world). Or that Katarina Witt will always known as the European Queen for her competitiveness, edginess, her European sensuality, sophistication and passion to embrace her femininity and made female skating the premier event at the Olympics, titillation maybe but surely that makes her one of the original founders of 'girl power'. Great legacy shouldn't be defined by the wins alone, but also how they overcome losses, periods of difficulties, struggles, personal lows, including over come political adversities and roadblocks they each faces that are uniquely to each individuals circumstances.

Interestingly "Iron Butterfly" is actually Chen Lu's nick in China which she is still commonly known today. I suspect it has more to do with The Butterfly Lovers program? Wonder when the nickname got stuck. Actually i wonder what other nicknames have been used for other skaters during different time in their career. All the bests seems to have them. What has been been Kurt's nickname during his days for example.
  11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The whole notion of trying to rank three Pairs with 6 Olympic Gold Medals between and equally divided among them is ridiculous . . . and how do you rank their actual skating ability, potential, etc.

Could one actually say that the Rodnina of 1973 could not be transported to 2012 and within a few months start winning?

Protopopovs were doing one-handed lifts in their 50s.

Gordeeva and Grinkov got bored with amateur skating competition, left, then came back to win another OGM.
  12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

lol

The answer is no!

I don't expect her to win the Sochi Olympics.
  13. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Best of her era. She would tie Katarina Witt for back-to-back wins but still be behind Sonja Henie who is the only woman to win three Olympic gold medals in Ladie's singles-and Henie won many more World Championships.
  14. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

I think it would cement her as one of the best competitors ever, even maybe ahead of Katarina, who did have figures muckery and the Kommunist Bloc behind her, which is way more of an advantage even than reputation-based PCS (which I think Yuna does get very often). In terms of best ever as an overall "complete" skater,especially in terms of aesthetics, I don't think she's even in the top five, and to be honest I'd have a hard time even making a case for top ten - it would have to be for jumps and consistency alone, and there are other skaters who were/are better at both.
  15. ces1128

ces1128 New Member

OS 168, You are the one among others that grasp the real intention behind this sort of poll about Yuna ;).
  16. lulu

lulu New Member

This.
  17. os168

os168 Active Member

Yeah tell me about it. How is it a poll not setting up for ANYONE to fail? Certainly to cause resentment and squabbling among the figure skating community and watch
    :duh::wall::angryfire:barrel:wuzrobbed:drama::COP::fan21::yikes::blah::huh::fragile::lynch::revenge:. I can't imagine any true fan would set up such a silly and self damaging poll.

Mind you, it is not the first time I have seen these subversive tactics being pulled, other than the usual mud sling, name calling and other underhanded personal ridicule I have seen on youtube and pretty much everywhere.
  18. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Don't be upset, os168.
    This is not the first time ;) and won't be the last time. :(

Reading replies, I can make sure that any *true skating fan* - purchasing tix for competitions & ice shows, reading rule books, subscribing skating magazines and respecting every skater - won't take this serious at all.
  19. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I like Yu-Na's skating (especially her late junior/early senior stuff) and she's obviously a strong skater and competitor.

I also respect that she's single-handedly popularized skating in Korea and all of her charity work.

Even if she wins in Sochii, I'm not sure I'd consider her the best ever either. Perhaps it's her reserved nature but her skating doesn't excite me. And despite Yu-Na's competitive record, she comes across as someone who doesn't relish competing. To me, that's what makes a champion memorable.

I don't find that she pushes boundaries artistically either. The David Wilson choreography feels a little stale and aesthetically her positions are not among "the greats" in that area (i.e. Fleming, Cohen).

Is she a great athlete? Without a doubt. She mastered a judging system in a way few others have. Who knows, maybe she'll win me over next season.
  20. os168

os168 Active Member

Haha I am not upset! :swoon: Far from it. I am laughing at the whole thing and even enjoy poking fun at the morbid business that is
    fan culture > sub culture > under culture > the pit > the gutter > youtube hell > FSU trashcan
    hence my tongue in cheek response about Ando in Star Wars gear (Inspired by the best Film Soundtrack in the other thread).

I don't really know what is true fan either, I don't think I am true anything. It is not like I have exactly 'came out' among my family and friends for my love for skating and appreciation for certain skaters, so this is my little guilty pleasure / sin / safety haven place once every blue moon. ;)
  21. RunnersHigh

Glad to read this. And Merry X-mas! :)
  22. Dyu

Dyu New Member

Well said.
  23. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

My current best skaters ever:

1. Kristi Yamaguchi
    2. Sonja Henjie
    3. Yu Na Kim
    4. Midori Ito
    5. Janet Lynn
    6. Katarina Witt
    7. Carol Heiss
    8. Dorothy Hamill
    9. Peggy Fleming
    10. Tenley Albright
    11. Madge Syers
    12. Herma Plack
    13. Irina Slutskaya
    14. Mao Asada
    15. Michelle Kwan

So I currently have her 3rd, if she wins another Worlds it might already put her up to 1st, another Olympic Gold for sure would.
  24. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Many people consider the Protopopovs the standard for pairs skating.
  25. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'll consider her ONE of the best skaters ever. But THE best? No. I don't know if there will ever be any one skater or pair of skaters that would be considered the best ever. Such a thing is so subjective.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

She is already is one of the best ever even if she retired today.
  27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No if winning the Olympics is the way you measure greatness then it has to be Sonja Henjie.
  29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes, and if we are being objective, as Cachoo posted, Sonja Henie is still the best. Yu Na will have to make it to her 2018 home Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

As far as subjective goes, I don't think we should consider a skater to be the all time best who has some major flaws, such as the ugliest spiral and bad feet.
  30. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

No, Sonja holds that title, however if Yuna wins an unprecedented second Olympic Gold Medal, then for sure she goes into second place. SHE combines beautiful artistry with technical precision, something very very very rare in skating. Jmho.
  31. theguitarist

theguitarist New Member

Instead of debating whether Yuna could be the 'best skater ever,' I would like to think about her impact on the skating world and fandom in terms of 'innovation' and 'novelty' she brings to them. For example, those who are on the fence about Yuna often complain that she is not as ' 'balletic' as Mao. 'Balletic' in this sense means for me 'conventional,' 'traditional,' rather than having anything much to do with ballet per sei. 'Balletic' also reminds me of trite musical repertoire, heard a million times on the ice, like Chopin's nocturnes or Swan Lake indeed. Aesthetically speaking, Yuna's greatest quality for me is that she is an out-of-the-box skater, using an entirely different set of expressive tools, and her showmanship has neither the north American flavor or the Russian flavor (of Russian as well as Japanese skaters). This, I believe, is an aspect that should interests skating fans. Just how much longer can figure skating hope to stay relevant with its balletic postures and year-end Tchaikofsky ballet tunes?
  32. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  33. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I think different fans has different greatest skaters. A medal don't necessarily make a skater the best ever :).
    There are performances who are better or much better than others, skaters with different beauty worth to see. I don't see how YuNa is innovative ... but that's personal taste. How will you measure best? The one who got most money, yes, definitively. She is a great technician, that's true, but not the only one. Best ever ... she is quite young, we don't know what she will achieve, but you can't really compare different eras, different expressions. Skating had developed, but injuries too. The best is always the one who catch your attention completely, and maybe the same skater cant catch me. So I think there will never be a best skater ever, but ones who you love most, in that time.
  34. jatale

jatale New Member

I feel just the opposite. I find the James Bond music to be clever and exciting and current. This is all a matter of individual taste, that is why you'll never get a consensus on anything "artistic", everybody has their own opinions.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  35. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Probably so. Cant think who else it would be. I guess the question is who do most people consider the best now and who would Kim being compared too. I could be wrong but it seems most are thinking Michelle Kwan is the best ever now and Kim with a 2nd Olympic Olympic Gold I would easily say is better than her.
  36. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

First of all, it's spelled "Henie", not "Henjie" and any serious figure skating fan knows this. Any serious skating fan is also well-aware of Sonja's accomplishments both as a competitive skater and as a professional skater. She popularized the sport back when the only visual mass-media in existance was the movies (there was TV during the 1930's and 1940's - my hometown boasts the first-ever TV station from 1929 - but access was severely limited) and, if you were lucky, you lived close enough to a venue that was booking her ice show so you could see her live.
  37. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

I made this thread to jinx Kim since I dont like her and I want Ando to win the next Olympics. Go MIKI!
  38. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Well, I think the world "best" is very subjective... everyone has a different perspective and definition regarding what "best" means.
    I think "one of the best" would have been a better term to use.
  39. karlon

karlon New Member

"If someone asked me who they should look at (across the generations)
    I would say Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Katarina Witt and definitely Yuna. There isn't a move Yuna makes that doesn't give her points,"
    Robin Cousins

i totally agree with one of the legend, robin cousins's
    To me, women legend is katarina witt(first), janet lynn, dorothy hamil, yuna kim.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  40. RunnersHigh

You're disgracing your favorite skater and yourself. Use your metality!