If you're a fan of Swedish men's figure skating...

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by siberia82, Feb 15, 2011.

1. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

...then I highly recommend that you try to get your hands on a copy of Filter February/March Issue #18. I've already mentioned this Swedish magazine on Schultheiss' thread, but now that I know more about the 22-page article, I felt that it deserved its own discussion topic.

"Isens ensamhet" (translation: "Ice Loneliess") focuses on the struggles and rivalry of Sweden's current top 3 male skaters: Kristoffer Berntsson, Adrian Schultheiss and Alexander Majorov. (Filip Stiller is mentioned as well.) Figure skating rarely gets any attention in Sweden, so this 22-page article is a treasure trove for fans who wish they knew more about their lives outside of the actual competitions. Along with beautiful photos, interviews, stories of their youth and the daily grind of training, the report also includes coverage of the 2010 Swedish Nationals.

This is what the front cover of Filter Issue #18 looks like: http://www.magasinetfilter.se/artiklar/filter-18.aspx If you have an iPad or an iPhone, you can purchase the magazine here: http://qiozk.com/paper/filter/-18-2011 For those of you who don't live in Sweden and prefer a physical copy, a Japanese fan informed me that this is one way you can order it: I emailed the editor of Filter, Mattias Göransson, asking if there was any way we can buy the magazine from outside Sweden. He replied quickly and seems friendly. According to him, ordering a copy of the magazine would be about 150 SEK (50 SEK for the magazine plus postage, which will be around 100 SEK).

Here is a teaser description of the article: Sveriges bästa manliga konståkare kämpar mot hockeykillar, nedstämdhet, ömma kroppar – och varandra. (Translation: Sweden's top male figure skaters are fighting hockey guys, depression, sore bodies – and each other.) :watch: These are some small preview images from "Isens ensamhet":

http://i54.tinypic.com/106cz2w.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2qbeqmx.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/10yqbs1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15z5un4.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/jpww8z.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ilhc2e.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/16jfp53.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1io0v8.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zs7148.jpg

I certainly don't expect any Swedish speakers to volunteer a translation for this long article. :yikes: I've ordered a Swedish-English dictionary this past weekend, so once that arrives, I'll attempt to translate "Isens ensamhet" on my own so that I can understand the main points. (I already have a Swedish grammar book in my possession that I got as a birthday present.) I'm sure the process will take forever, and no doubt I will encounter words or expressions that I'm unable to translate, but I'm still crazy enough to try! :p Hopefully I'll develop a very basic Swedish reading vocabulary when this experiment is over...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I know Filip worked (still works?) as a commentator for Swedish Eurosport and has done other work promoting skating in Sweden, so I wouldn't be too surprised to hear he had a hand in researching the article or getting it published. It is good to see skating getting more mainstream coverage, at any rate.

3. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Wheeeeeee, my Swedish-English dictionary arrived today! :cheer2: It's going to be a LOT of work trying to "read" a language that I don't understand, but I'm nevertheless eager to start this project! :biggrinbo Out of curiosity, are there any non-Swedish speakers who would like to see whatever I manage to translate? I know there aren't many fans of Swedish figure skating on this forum, and I would guess a lot of you can read the text, so I'll only share my work if I know at least one person is interested.

Moreover, is there a Swedish speaker who doesn't mind giving me help for words or expressions that are not listed in my dictionary and grammar book?

While I assume that Filip was interviewed for the magazine (I see quotes that are attributed to him), I don't think he contributed in any other way because his name does not appear in the credits. The author of "Isens ensamhet" is Filter journalist Erik Almqvist, and the photos were provided by Nicke Johansson.

I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to OES like the Swedes. :inavoid: Heck, I wish I could find a 22-page magazine article of my favourite lower-ranked Canadian skaters (e.g. Shawn Sawyer) at my local bookstore, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. :blah:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Siberia, just ask if you get stuck in the text! I don't have time to translate a long article now, but just let me know if you need help, weather it's grammar or words or anything else:)

5. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I totally forgot to share this preview image of Adrian and his aquarium! :duh: http://i51.tinypic.com/33544d2.jpg

Thank you so much for your offer, SmallFairy! :) After I study the basics of Swedish grammar, I'll most likely contact you by PM for any assistance that I may need since there doesn't seem to be any interest for an English translation. While I suspected that I was probably the sole Canadian on FSU who lurved the Swedish guys, I didn't expect that I'd be the only non-Swedish speaker... :shuffle:

6. whiteskates

whiteskates New Member

siberia82, thanks for the info. I'd love to read this article and wouldn't have known about it if it hadn't been for you!

I'm a new member here and I happen to be Swedish with quite a bit of time on my hands so I'll be happy to assist you with translation of at least parts of the article if I can get hold of a copy. I don't have luxuries like iPads and iPhones but will look for "Filter" when I go shopping today or tomorrow.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Just translate the juicy parts and feel free to post.

And Stiller...holy hotness :grope:

Feel free to search the doc for "gay love triangle" and advise in due course :p

8. _Lola_

_Lola_ New Member

siberia82, thanks for this alert. i am in finland and will try to find this magazine in store.

ice loneliness - this title breaks my heart as well as recent interviews of adrian and kristoffer.

9. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Why not get some practice for my English? I can manage the main points. The problem stays, your scans are not readable.:(

10. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Thank you so much for digging this up, Siberia!
    (info, links,etc.)
    It's much appreciated! :)

11. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

And YES!
    I would definitely be interested in an English translation!
    (Just registered on here after hearing about it on gs so these are my first posts. yeay me! hehe.)

12. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

To everyone who thanked me for sharing info about the magazine: you're very welcome! :) If enough fans buy Issue #18, maybe it will encourage the folks at Filter to publish more 22-page articles on Swedish men's figure skating. ;)

Great! Now that I know that there a few people who are willing to assist me when I encounter some bumps along the road, I'll be that much more motivated to complete this project. :COP:

Although I'm eager to learn more about the Swedish guys, I'm aware that the article will be a heartbreaking read. :fragile:

The preview images weren't scanned by me; I found the pics on a website and "glued" the halves together so that it would be easier for me to share them.

Okay, one vote. That's good enough for me! :D

13. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

To ease myself into the Swedish language, I decided to begin with a couple of photo captions. My translation can only be approximate at best, so please forgive me for any glaring errors I may have committed.

Table of Contents photo; page 16 (http://i54.tinypic.com/106cz2w.jpg):
    GLITTER. In spite of that Adrian Schultheiss is Sweden's most successful figure skater internationally, Kristoffer Berntsson is popular on home ground. In our face-off* for the last time.

* My dictionary defines "gör upp" as "make up", but I don't think that makes sense in this context. I suspect that this term is supposed to refer to an adversarial meeting.

Photo; pages 38-39 http://i53.tinypic.com/2qbeqmx.jpg):
    ICE LONELINESS. For five years, Kristoffer Berntsson was Swedish figure skating’s perfect son-in-law*. Then martial artist Adrian Schultheiss emerged with more advanced jumps and a pierced lower lip. Everything was established for a final showdown when a Russian prodigy blended into the game.

* "Svärmorsdröm" means "mother-in-law's dream", but considering that "stora" (grand or great) was in front of it, I felt that "perfect son-in-law" sounded less clumsy in English.

14. Veronica

Veronica Member

Thank you for recommending the article! It's really sad though.

As for the translation, it looks pretty good except that you have translated "vår" as "our" instead of "spring".

The sentence should be something more like this: "Even though Adrian Schultheiss is Sweden's most successful skater internationally, Kristoffer Berntsson is more popular at home. This spring they'll settle things for the last time."

15. whiteskates

whiteskates New Member

siberia, I bought the magazine yesterday so if you need help, please let me know and I'll be happy to either assist you with your ambitious project. I can translate parts of it on my own. I have time. Just PM me! It seems there are a few people here who are willing to help out so you're the project manager, lol... No need for two or three people to translate the same text. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  16. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

The pronoun "vår" was the first entry in my dictionary, so that explains my mix-up. :p Thanks for the corrections. I didn't know that Koffe was still more popular in Sweden than Adrian (although I was aware that Kris received more media attention during the 2008 Worlds).

Okay, project manager sounds good to me. ;) Splitting up the text is an excellent idea! :respec: It would be great if you could work on the first part which focuses on Adrian. SmallFairy has already translated the section in between "- Jag är väldigt förvirrad just nu" and "Själv misstänker han gälparasiter" in the thread about Adrian's depression, so you would only have to focus on the earlier paragaphs.

17. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Skaters' profiles; page 41 (http://i52.tinypic.com/10yqbs1.jpg):

KRISTOFFER BERNTSSON
    Born: July 13, 1982 in Gothenburg
    Personal best: 206.29 points (2007 World Championships in Tokyo)
    Merits (selection): Five-time Nordic champion, gold at seven Swedish Championships (along with an additional two which were not counted when there were too few competitors), ninth at the 2007 Worlds, plus a seventh and an eighth place finish at the European Championships.
    Trivia: Is according to SVT's figure skating commentator Roger Blomqvist, "...our greatest figure skater of all time. What they were doing in the 20's was a different sport."

Two of Koffe's national titles don't "count"??! :huh: I'm assuming that "too few competitors" would be 2 or less, but that would mean Filip Stiller's 3 wins (1998, 2001, 2002) and Adrian's 2005 gold medal are also "invalid". Moreover, Kris was the victor at three Swedish Nationals where he had only one other challenger (1999, 2000, 2007), so shouldn't he be a 6-time national champion (and not 7 as the author claims?) :confused:

18. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

ADRIAN SCHULTHEISS
    Born: August 11, 1988 in Kungsbacka
    Personal best: 218.26 points (2010 World Championships in Turin)
    Merits (selection): One-time Nordic champion, one Swedish Championships gold, fifteenth place at the 2010 Olympics, ninth at the 2010 Worlds, sixth at the 2008 European Championships.
    Trivia: Likes reptiles and has a boa constrictor and two barbed agamas at the parental home in Tibro. The Russian consul in Gothenburg, David Mnatsakanyan, specially composed the music for Adrian's program last season.

ALEXANDER MAJOROV
    Born: July 19, 1991 in Saint Petersburg
    Personal best: 180.73 points (2010 JGP Czech Skate in Ostrava)
    Merits (selection): One-time Junior Swedish champion, one silver and two bronzes at the Swedish Nationals.
    Trivia: Alexander's mother Irina sews his figure skating costumes. Until two years ago, Alexander had a different gait. "I tried to be cool and did hip-hop style, it was a bit of a way to compensate for people thinking that it is a silly sport."

This article was published in mid-January, so obviously the author didn't mention Sasha's recent victory at the Nordic Championships.

19. whiteskates

whiteskates New Member

Okay, project manager sounds good to me. ;) Splitting up the text is an excellent idea! :respec: It would be great if you could work on the first part which focuses on Adrian. SmallFairy has already translated the section in between "- Jag är väldigt förvirrad just nu" and "Själv misstänker han gälparasiter" in the thread about Adrian's depression, so you would only have to focus on the earlier paragaphs.[/QUOTE]

OK, siberia. I´ll translate the first part for you. If I use a word document for the translation, can you PM me your mail address so I can send it to you? Then when you have as much material as you want, you can post chosen bits and pieces or the entire article here on the board if you want to.

20. whiteskates

whiteskates New Member

Siberia, I have translated the first part and sent you a couple of PMs so please check your inbox.

21. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

The following was translated by whiteskates, with some minor editing done by me.

Page 40 (http://i52.tinypic.com/10yqbs1.jpg):

Adrian Schultheiss is sitting on the edge of his bed in his studio apartment in Gothenburg and watches his aquarium with an empty look in his eyes. He apologizes for the messy state of his place.

- Up until two years ago I used to clean up, but after that I couldn’t be bothered to do it anymore. So I’ve stopped.

In the middle of the room there are two big, black garbage bags full of empty cans. Adrian hasn’t disposed of them because there are so many that it would be embarrassing. Under a coffee table with lit candles there are some plastic bags. They contain dolls, teddy bears and other stuffed animals that Adrian’s fans have thrown onto the ice. Between the bed and a small couch, he has squeezed in a training bike. The walls are full of photos of him skating and of paintings he has painted himself. Taped on a shelf, there’s a piece of paper with a drawing of a podium. He has drawn a smiley on the gold medalist’s spot. Beneath it are the words, “I can. I will.”

It has only been a few days since Adrian got back from the competition Skate America in Oregon, where he and his coach of seven years had a falling out and decided to part ways. He is upset and confused, and doesn’t yet know how to schedule his training for the future. For the time being, he has an arrangement with two junior coaches, Maria Bergqvist and Johanna Dalstrand, who will coach him until the Swedish Championships.

- I care about my coach, but as in all relationships, there have been lots of disagreements. In the last four years, there has been a lot of shit. It has been locked up. We can’t talk anymore.

Adrian really wants to break into the world’s elite, but this season has been dogged by problems. On top of the rows with his coach, he has suffered pain in his groin and was forced to change skating boots because he was unlucky to get a bad pair. All are unfortunate circumstances, but such things happen to an athlete. Adrian’s main problem is far worse: he doesn’t enjoy it anymore.

SmallFairy has already provided the translation for the next section involving Adrian. I'll look it over and see if any adjustments need to be made before I post the paragraphs that I've been working on.

22. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Thanks so much for the translation! I tried to learn Swedish but didn't get that far...

This passage of the article sounds very sad though, I hope the journalist is somewhat exaggerating (i.e. with how the room looks, the photo didn't give the impression that he is living in a dump)

And here a treat as you like Adrian, siberia82 (these are my own from Bern, free skate and warm up for short, I had to do an interview during the actual short):
    http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv42/sus2009/Adrian/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  23. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Well, it certainly can't be worse than my Swedish. ;)

I guess it's possible that the author may be exaggerating some details, but Adrian himself has stated in a recent AbsoluteSkating.com article that he has been neglecting his health somewhat since he doesn't "have time" to cook properly (or more likely, he just isn't motivated to do so because of the emotional turmoil he's experiencing). Since he's not taking care of himself the way he should, I think it's likely he's neglecting household chores as well. :(

The photographer for "Isens ensamhet" has an artistic eye, so I'm sure s/he picked an angle which would minimize the mess. You can see some clutter in this photo: http://i51.tinypic.com/2ilhc2e.jpg

Thanks a lot for sharing your photos of Romeo! :D I like the Swedish guys for their skating first and foremost, but I can't deny that they're all very good-looking in their own way. :hat1:

24. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Most of you have already read this part, and I've fixed some little errors that SmallFairy made in the original translation.

Page 40 (continued):

- I'm very confused right now. Lately I haven't been happy. I think I'm depressed. It's been like this since the 2008 Worlds: first it was really a lot of things happening, then I was depressed during the summer and couldn't find any happiness in my skating. And this year there has been so much crap with everything. I have goals, big goals, but sometimes I have stopped dreaming. If I can't find the joy in skating again, I'm going to quit after this season.

Adrian is leaning forward, sitting on his bed.

- My girlfriend comes to watch my practices sometimes. That helps. Then I don't feel so alone. I land the harder triples and perform nicer spins then.

Adrian’s life revolves completely around figure skating. He trains in the morning, then he goes home and rests for a few hours before he's back at the rink for the next session. The evenings are sometimes spent with his girlfriend, who studies at the university and lives with her parents. His busy schedule ensures that he no longer has any other friends in Gothenburg. He mostly socializes with a group of foreign skaters that he meets at competitions. When he's at home, he usually sits on his bed and watches the aquarium. He loves his fishes and can watch their behaviour for hours on end.

As if that weren’t enough, the fishes seem to be ill. He shows me a note which is the result of many hours of studying in front of the aquarium where he has carefully recorded what the fishes are doing. It says things like: "coughing up food" and "body shivers". He has also calculated their breaths: 80-110 breaths per minute instead of 60, which is normal. Adrian will take the list to a pet store to get help with a diagnosis and buy the right medication. He suspects gill parasites.

25. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

This section was translated by yours truly:

Page 40 (continued):

A hundred years ago, Sweden was the best in the world of figure skating. Ulrich Salchow, a daily reporter for Dagens Nyheter, took ten World Championship gold medals between 1901 and 1911 – an achievement that is still his alone today. When figure skating became part of the Olympic program for the first time, Salchow danced home with the gold. At a competition the following year, he performed a jump that no one had seen before: the Swede went backwards on one foot and jumped back from an inner edge, rotated one turn, and landed on an outer edge. The jump, which was named after him, is today one of the sport's six basic jumps.

Page 41 (http://i52.tinypic.com/10yqbs1.jpg):

During the '20s, the architect Gillis Grafström took over as Sweden's – and the world's – top male figure skater. He won three World Championships, and was so appreciated for his ability to draw figures on the ice with skates that the German city of Potsdam named a street after him.

After Grafström, the rest of the 20th century passed without any male Swedish figure skaters making their way up on to the big international scene.

Then came Kristoffer Berntsson.

Oooooooo, the suspense! :watch:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  26. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I also translated this part:

Page 41 (continued):

As a five-year-old, his parents enrolled him in both hockey and figure skating school – the rink was only a few minutes walk from the townhouse in Landvetter. After only half a year, Kristoffer skipped hockey school to devote more attention to figure skating. A whole bunch of boys were trained by the Hungarian former figure skater Andrea Dohany, who during the same period started Team Surprise – the world's top team in synchronized skating some years later.

Since all the figure skating clubs have difficulty attracting guys, they often do their utmost to keep those who begin despite everything. Andrea encouraged Kristoffer and the others to venture more and more ambitiously. When the boys approached puberty, however, her job became increasingly difficult. Suddenly, her sport had everything that they were against: classical music, weird outfits, dance, a demanding discipline, and a blatant lack of role models that the boys could identify with.

Page 42 (no picture):

When Kristoffer was 14 years old, the last of his old figure skating buddies had quit. He had trained 15 hours a week for the past two years, and many in his entourage felt that it was a lot for such a young guy.

I'm working on the next few paragraphs, but I need help with several words, so I have to wait for a response before I can post my work.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    argarit and (deleted member) like this.
  27. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I've been informed by my Swedish-speaking assistants that the journalist uses a lot of idiomatic expressions, which is why I got stuck in a few places. No doubt the language in the article is beautiful for those can read it, but it's hell for a beginner to translate! :lol:

Page 42 (continued):

Kristoffer, who participated in international competitions, knew he was moving hopelessly against the wind. The Russians had been drilled since they were old enough to stand in a pair of skates. Similarly, the Americans and the Japanese had access to their own rinks which were fully customized for figure skating. Kristoffer had to settle for ice sessions that the Landvetter hockey club did not use.

Another problem was that he was so lonely. When he began competing at the senior Swedish Championships, he only had one opponent, which meant that the results never became official and no medals were awarded. At the Swedish Nationals, there were only two possible placements: first or last.

Kristoffer used to come first.

- I could miss the community one might get in other sports. But I travel to the USA or Moscow for training camps sometimes, and then of course you get to meet other figure skaters. I'm probably the kind of person who doesn’t suffer much from being alone.

Although he was the best in Sweden, he had poor awareness of the best skaters, those who competed at the World Championships, Olympics and the major Grand Prix events. Since he started figure skating, he had deliberately made sure to keep a distance from the sport.

- When the last of the other guys left, I was shocked. We had trained together for so many years, and suddenly he was no longer there. I knew of course that it was odd to get involved with figure skating. I skated a lot, but I was determined not to be identified too much as a figure skater. I skated on hockey blades for a long time. Maybe I distanced myself from it to avoid being bullied, I don’t know. It’s strange that I began doing a sport where you compete and show off because I was really shy. I understood that others thought it was ridiculous and geeky. I thought so, too. Sometimes we had exercises where we could express ourselves, play theatre. I felt so deeply ashamed that it physically hurt. But hockey could not measure up to figure skating, where everything was free and one can skate with such speed.

Oh, poor Koffe. :fragile: He seems to have a love/hate relationship with the sport. It's heartbreaking for me to read that he agreed with the general public's perception that figure skating is "ridiculous and geeky", though strangely enough this didn't discourage him from continuing. He could've very easily quit when he had no other friend to practice with, yet he still stuck to it. Considering that there were no role models in the sport he could look up to, the fact that he was able to get this far is truly amazing! I should add in my fan letter to Kristoffer that I view him as a pioneer of modern Swedish men's figure skating. :respec: :40beers: :cheer2: :kickass:

I had originally intended for whiteskates to translate the next section, but she will be moving shortly, so she won't have much free time for the next couple of weeks. I move at a snail's pace, but I'm all you've got. ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  28. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

thanks!!!!!

29. whiteskates

whiteskates New Member

I find I do have some time after all so I will be doing some translation whenever I feel up to it. ´:)

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for translating, siberia!

Just a quick question for someone who know more about this, but doesn't Sweden have a recycling program? I don't quite understand why two trash bags full of empty cans would be so hard to get rid of. Then again, lack of initiative as a symptom of tiredness is a sign of depression...