If you were to have a benefit show for Japan relief, who would you invite to perform?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by crzesk8dad, Mar 18, 2011.

1. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

And how much would you pay to see them?

The floor is yours......

2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I hope that when things stabilize a bit and everyone has a chance to catch their collective breaths that the skating community will do a wonderful and large-scale benefit show for Japan. I think anyone and everyone who wants to participate should and if it could get folks who might otherwise not be on the same ice together (both Evan and Johnny for instance), well, what a wonderful spirit to bring to the effort to help.

Of course since Ilia won his gold in Nagano and loves Japan very much I do think he'd be a natural to participate. Tara might uncover her recovered skating skills for the benefit of Japan.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'm sure anyone that was asked would want to be a part of it.

Past Japanese champions like Takeshi Honda, Yuka Sato and Shizuka Arakawa would be good, too.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Plushenko, of course!:plush: Michelle Kwan, too, would be a huge draw.

5. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I would think that Mirai would be a natural for your headliner.

As far as ticket price...when I think what I would pay for SOI (as if it comes to my hometown!!) I would pay equal to that to know that in some way I am helping the citizens of Japan.

Great idea by the way and I hope you or someone else is able to pull this off.:)

6. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Oh and this years World Team...of course.;)

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan, Midori Ito, Yuka Sato, Shizuka Arakawa, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Miki Ando, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya, Tonya Harding, Apolo Ohno, Michael Weiss, Sydney Crosby, Ovechikin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Patrick Kane.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If you invite Weiss then of course you have to invite Weir also :).

9. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Let's not forget Lambiel and Buttle.

10. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Kristi Yamaguchi.

11. The show in czech republic on april 15 and 16 will send some of their money to Japan.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

And they will do a duet!

13. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Denstas were always popular in Japan :)

14. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Candeloro then :)

15. Ladida

Ladida Member

And Michal Brezina has a cute SP Japanese Kodo drums:cool:

16. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

True. He is extremely popular in Japan. :cool:

17. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I would hope that most skaters would donate their time, local hotels would donate rooms, etc.

As for participants: ALL of the Japanese Worlds/Oly medalists ever (that includes Emi Watanabe!), all Japanese-heritage Worlds medalists ever (incl Kristi, Yuko K., Kyoko Ina), and others who are particular favorites of the Japanese people (such as Johnny Weir and...Janet Lynn...even if she just speaks and waves!). In fact, it would be so cool to have a reunion of the medalists from Japan's two Olympics - Sapporo 1972 and Nagano 1998 (those who are still with us, of course...not all Sapporo medalists are still alive...Nepela and Suraikin).

How's that, for starters? :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  18. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

What about a sort of "We are the World" event, with events scheduled all over the world on the same day...with media coverage, and then taped/shown on TV so that fans all over the world could call in/pledge funds etc? Would someone like IMG be willing to head up something like this?

19. miki88

miki88 New Member

Great Idea! It will be great to invite Janet Lynn because of her enduring popularity to Japanese skating fans.

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You beat me to it, with Janet.

Lucinda Ruh, should be invited. also.
    She spent much of her early life in Japan.

21. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

So where are you looking to have this event? I have a free ticket on Southwest so hopefully I can get there.

22. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I would have this gala and line-up of stars twice:

1. At the site of the latest Winter Olympics (Vancouver) soon after the next Worlds (meaning, I hope, April/May timeframe). Jkl, hopefully Southwest flies to Vancouver!
    and

2. In Tokyo, in the fall, or even winter, once the situation stabilizes. The idea is to get Janet, Rodnina, Tara, Ilya, Johnny et al to Japan, where they are so beloved. This could be a huge success and money-maker to rebuild Japan which will still need help next winter. This is long-term development.

23. Dancin' Dream

Dancin' Dream New Member

Certainly not Lysacek! I'd assume Japanese people suffered enough already! :lynch:

24. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I vote for the southeast......and all of the skaters, esp. the German pairs team and Kulik and Lambriel.

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  25. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

27. misskarne

misskarne #408

Well, you HAVE to have as many Olympic champions as you can muster!

Plushenko and Kulik for sure (both beloved in Japan) but I notice a lack of Yagudin in this thread! His autobiography was first released in Japan, they love him!

Maybe they should do a sort of world tour?

28. kre56

kre56 New Member

World team member Richard Dornbush trains in Riverside, Calif. He would be a great choice!!