If you were a bookie, who would you make favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 21, 2013.

If you were a bookie, who would you make favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2013.
  1. Davis & White

155 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Virtue & Moir

58 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. martyross

martyross Active Member

:lol:

2. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Er, would it honestly be an upset? Who are Virtue and Moir? Some B team or something?

Anyway, if i were I bookie, I would not place my bet now, at the beginning of the season, considering how previous seasons have unfolded.

3. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

LOL - yup - perhaps jealousy is the new form of flattery --
    V/M will win as they're the superior team.

4. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

That is ridiculous. If you think Davis & White were robbed of the 2012 World title by bad judging, that is fine. Some others felt that way too. However to think judges would be bullied or intimidated into giving certain scores by someone whining and griping is ludricious. If anything history shows judges mark you harder when you have dissed them publicly.

5. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

It's going to come down to performance and the levels each team achieves.

Tessa and Scott cannot bobble on the twizzles. Davis and White cannot lose levels on their step sequences. Things like that.

Right now my money is on Davis and White.

6. Lil Sarah

Lil Sarah Member

My heart says Virtue & Moir, but honestly I think it'll be Davis & White

7. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

I think V & M will give D & W a run for their money, and nothing is for certain until the last note of the music, but D & W seem to have the momentum going although I enjoy both pair of ice dancers. Being from the US I have to clap a little more for D & W. Or maybe alot more!

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Heh. I think Canada has the upper hand for the team event, though, and if V/M participate, they could have two. So could D/W.

Jiazumi, a bookie is "a person who makes a business of accepting the bets of others on the outcome of sports contests, especially of horse races." It's not limited to sports races (there are organizations in the UK that offer odds on literary prizes, such as the Man Booker Award or the Nobel Prize, for example). In this example, you'd offer short odds on D/W or V/M winning because they are the overwhelming strength (essentially, remember that since the GPF in 2009, they've only lost to each other). People who know the sport would place money on them winning.

As judgejudy said, the V/M and D/W's rise was predicated on a pretty remarkable confluence of events that we simply haven't seen repeated this time. The race for bronze is a legit race, in my mind, with four really strong contenders and a couple more longshots. A bookie would be wiser to offer odds on who wins bronze, simply because it isn't at all clear who will (Bobrova/Soloviev have a slight edge, but it's slight).

9. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Well, whining and grumbling has resulted in an OGM at least once before in the not so distant past...

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think this topic but about who you would favor for the bronze if you were a bookie is far more interesting at this point. The way the season is progressing, if I were a bookie I would give Weaver & Poje the best odds for bronze right now, and Cappellini & Lanotte the second best.

11. judgejudy27

It happened twice with Canadian athletes (Sylvie Frechette at the 92 Olympics). The only 2 times a history a 2nd gold medal were awarded after the scoring and event was over, and both times it was a Canadian athlete(s) involved. It seems to be a Canadian thing, dont win, then pout and cry and kick until you are given one; but be given blatant gifts over and over by judges (eg- Chan) and say nothing.

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You're seriously going to lump a scoring type-o (which is what Frechette's score was http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-07/sports/sp-64744_1_gold-medal) and the whole S/P vs. B/S controversy in the same category? All based on the fool-proof basis that both incidents involved Canadian athletes?

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Yes because judges have never been bullied or intimidated in the past. Give me a break. Scott Moir knew exactly what he was doing when he started whining before 2012 worlds. I knew the minute after his temper tantrum ended that they would somehow overtake D/W for the gold at worlds and they did. This thread is asking who I would throw money down to win in Sochi, not who deserves it and why. V/M will take it for reasons I already listed. If you disagree, so be it, but it's my betting money to play as I want and I'm throwing it down in favor of Scott Moir and Skate Canada.

14. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

15. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

It is time someone stands up to Skate Canada and their corruption and excessive power. It has been a good 15 years of heavy bullying and dealing in favor of Canadian skaters. From Stojko, to Bourne and Kraatz, to Sale and Pelletier, to Rochette at times (especialy her Vancouver bronze over Nagasu who way outskated her), and now more than anyone in history Patrick "5 falls and win" Chan. Virtue & Moir are an outstanding pair, one of the best ever, and generaly deserved most of their wins, but I believe your story about what happened at the 2012 Worlds, and I wuoldnt put it past the agressive and lacking in integrity CSA to pull off such a stunt.

The worst thing of all is Canadians have the ignorance to even write books on skating where they diss Russians as power dealers and fixing results for decades. Talk about hypocrites.

16. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Once again I ask the same thing in the past. D/W lost in Nice because of lower TES levels in both the SD and FD compare to V/M. If you disagree, please tell us which of those levels were under-marked and why. Or if you think V/M were over-scored, which levels didn't they deserve at those Worlds and 4CCs.

Since you brought Rochette and Nagasu into this, hertmirsh, how would you score Rochette and Nagasu in SP and FS to give the bronze to Nagasu.

17. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

:confused:

18. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

And one also can say that the judges we're bullied as well so D/W can win worlds ;) ;);)Especially after 4cc and the whole injury debacle mostly coming from the American side- also Meryl's face looked so angry when V/M beat them in the SD :lol: Anyways we all know whats going to happen in SOchi. Both teams will take home the gold - whether its because V/M win and D/W and USFS/American media will whine and another SLC scandal will happen so the ISU will be forced to give D/W gold too and V/M will be dispised throughout history because how dare they earn a OGM that D/W are intitled to - that righly belongs to D/W or Because one wins team event and the other wins OGM . I bet my money on the former :bribe: because its more interesting :p Also think before you respond this comment - V/M already have gold - They have nothing to lose :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  19. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

[QUOTEand D/W and USFS/American media will whine and another SLC scandal will happen so the ISU will be forced to give D/W gold too][/QUOTE]
    Part of me wishes I lived in your delusional world where the American media actually cared about Meryl and Charlie.

20. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

I couldn't vote. Both teams are my favorites. I would love to see D&W be the first to win in Dance for US, but I just saw V&M's free skate from Skate Canada and I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on ice. So - I'm stuck. I'll honestly be both happy and sad no matter who gets the gold!

21. parapluies

Part of me wishes I lived in your delusional world where the American media actually cared about Meryl and Charlie.[/QUOTE]

So seems you are not well-versed in the art of satire? Didnt they not teach you that in schools? :D But yes America cares alot for D/W they are locked in for gold and they are USA only gold for FS in Sochi considering Lysachek doesn't seem to be coming back.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  22. judgejudy27

Yeah like Lysacek was ever a threat to bring home Sochi gold, LOL!

23. parapluies

Knowing Lysachek he will probably withdraw....

24. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Evan has WD from every tournament he in.

25. Antiloquy

Antiloquy New Member

So seems you are not well-versed in the art of satire? Didnt they not teach you that in schools? :D But yes America cares alot for D/W they are locked in for gold and they are USA only gold for FS in Sochi considering Lysachek doesn't seem to be coming back.[/QUOTE]

I think they mean that the US doesn't care about D/W even if they are the only ones who are basically a lock for any medal in Sochi. And they'd be correct; the United States doesn't care about figure skating at all unless it's the Olympics and even then the only thing that matters is Ladies. USFSA has done far more promotion for Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, especially, than it has for D/W.

26. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

My money's on DW because it's crystal clear they are the better ice dancers over the Canadians. More power, cleaner edges and stronger body lines and extensions.

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Are you getting that from watching the skating or reading the protocols?

28. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

Both, I think. The protocols confirm the great skating.

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Is this satire as well? :rolleyes:

What cracks me up is the ridiculous persecutory complex and victimization you, walei, and several other V/M übers have regarding Tessa and Scott. It's all over y'all's threads in this forum like a bad rash.

As was explained upthread, this thread was simple question about which team a betting person would place odds on. It didn't turn into your perceived trashing of V/M until y'all started bitching about what's being said is taking place on Golden Skate. I don't read or participate over there because I can't stand that board's tendency to be a cauldron of passive-aggressiveness and bitchiness thinly veiled by their goody-twoshoes attitude.

From watching the competitions without being biased one way or another.

Davis/White did not skate well in Nice, and the mistakes they made were visible. They didn't deserve Gold at that competition.

::snicker::

More like their delusional world, period.

What I find hilarious is was the whining over how V/M were unfairly marked down/crucified by the judges for the "tiny little mistake" in the SD at this past Worlds when Tessa biffed the twizzles and Scott made a mistake on one of the FW sequences. If Meryl and Charlie had made those mistakes and received the same score as Tessa and Scott, the V/M Über Brigade would have been screeching like a bunch of banshees that they weren't penalized enough for such a glaring and huge mistake :rofl:.

Whitneyskates, you're absolutely spot-on about the American Media, especially NBC, regarding D/W and Ice Dance in general -- Their coverage of Dance during this Grand Prix is disgusting.

30. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Excuse me Cyn I don't read Golden Skate. My post was a response to one of the post in THIS thread of that diatribe insulting V/M and claims that they only won in Nice solely because of Scott's whining and bitching. Maybe you can turn your attention to that instead of jokingly thinking you want to shoot V/M fans who disagree with your opinions all the time.

But thank you for being one of the few D/W ubers that recognizes D/W shouldn't have won in Nice. Maybe you can go to the D/W thread and elsewhere and tell your fellow ubers that the next time THEY play the oppression of mighty Skate Canada and the victimization of D/W card.

On topic, before Skate Canada I would put my money on D/W but odds may not be so heavily in their favor after what I've seen from Skate Canada. The next two weeks may change my mind again... but I would still put my money on D/W.