If you were a bookie, who would you make favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 21, 2013.

If you were a bookie, who would you make favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2013.
  1. Davis & White

155 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Virtue & Moir

58 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Very impressive performance by Davis & White at Skate America. They are now unbeaten since the 2011/12 season when they lost both 4CC and Worlds to Virtue & Moir. Hence, in terms of a winning streak, they have certainly built up considerable momentum. Moreover, at the 2013 World Championships, they set new world records for the SD and overall combined total scores. Earlier in the same season, at the 2013 4CC, they had set a new world record for the FD score. Nevertheless, Virtue & Moir also looked in good form at this seasons Finlandia Trophy.

Its early in the season, but at this juncture, who would you install as the favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold medal if you were a bookie?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I would love to see D&W to win the USA's first OGM in ice dance, but for this poll I voted for V&M, mainly because they are the defending Olympic champions and they too are great skaters and great ice dancers. It's going to be a fantastic competition in Sochi.

3. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

At this point, Davis & White would and should be the bookies favorite, and if I were playing a part in making the odds I would recommend that as well. They have dominated the last year, beat V&M at all their competitions last season, and are off to a strong start in this one. How could they not be the favorites. It is still very close and V&M winning wouldn't be a surprise either, but for now D&W are the favorites.

4. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Exactly. Whoever wins, both couples will go down in history as all time greats. I would like to see D&W win, as that would mean that both couples would retire with at least one Olympic title each.

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Davis & White are skating a bit better right now, and have a more interesting FD, so I voted for them. If V&M want to repeat I think they'll have to step up their game later in the season but they can possibly do it.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count V/M out yet. They have the most wonderful skills, both technically and artistically, and as we've all witnessed before, they are slow starters and do much tweeking and improving throughout the season. However, if there has been any bargaining under the table (and I sure as h*ll wouldn't rule that out) then the results may not be what the actual skating indicates.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

But Davis and White tweek and improve throughout the season, too. So it would be in one's favour to bolt out of the gate at the beginning (a la Davis and White at Skate America) rather than be a slow starter, no?

8. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Bookie? What's a bookie? Anyways, I will vote for D/W because they are the better team.

9. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

D/W and V/W are far above the rest of the crowd and they are the two worthy contenders for the OGM. D/W's performance at SA this past weekend looked OGM worthy, and we will see V/M's at SC this weekend. As for who will win the big prize in Sochi, I'd like to see the wealth spread around a bit and let D/W win it this time.

10. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

I certainly hope that isn't why anyone wins. Because a gold medal should be "spread around"? That would be the worst reason, and damaging to the sport. That's why the sport is in such decline. Not enough take ice dance, or skating in general, seriously because of the impression that it's a glorified beauty pageant where the results are pre-determined. I really hope that the gold medal is given to the team that has the best skate of the days. And I hope that the callers and judges brief themselves thoroughly on the rules and guidelines and use all of them with consistency (that includes PCS). And I hope that people come to respect these skaters as the amazing athletes they are. Some more detailed, informative coverage from the media would help as well.

And it is much too early to predict a winner. It's only October. There are still months to hone and tweak and perfect programs.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This poll isnt about picking a winner though. It is picking who would be the bookies favorite right now. That based on all logical evidence that exists now would probably be Davis & White. That doesnt mean they have to be your pick as the winner. People often dont pick the betting favorite as the winner, and I am not talking just from a sentimental perspective. That is why many people make money off bookies, and some even make a living off it. They often correctly pick and believe the person who isnt the betting favorite is going to win, which might or might not be the case for many people here too.

I agree a result should never be about spreading the wealth. If that were true the judges should have given V&M a Grand Prix final title by now. However judges are humans and D&W not having an Olympic Gold yet, combined with their being the reigning World Champs and dominating the last year might give them the edge if the performances end up a total toss up somehow in Sochi. Not neccessarily how it should be, but probably is.

12. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

At the moment it looks like a lock-in for Mery & Charlie. Yes, it's early in the season but the judges seem to love them over the last season.

13. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Definitely V&M. Americans don't have good luck with Scheherazade at the Olympics. In 2002, favorite Michelle Kwan fell and won only bronze, and in 1984, Blumberg and Seibert fell off the podium altogether after their Scheherazade free dance.

14. NYScorp6

NYScorp6 Member

My vote is for Charlie & Meryl.

15. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Evan Lysacek (USA) won the 2010 Olympic gold skating to Scheherazade.

16. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Apparently it is a bad luck since so few remember him skating to it :D

I plan on betting on 3rd team and possibly making a fortune on the scandal!

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

He doesn't count. Anomaly.

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think the PCS at last years Worlds said it all. The judges have chosen D/W and things do not change very drastically in one short year in ice dance. I think this is appropriate because it would seem really awful if D/W don't get an Olympic gold medal. However, you have to earn it. This isn't about everyone getting a chance. I just think they they both skate their programs cleanly with all level 4s that D/W will win by having better PCS which is really telling you all you need to know about who the judges prefer.

19. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Uh, in 2009 Virtue/Moir won the bronze at Worlds and Davis/White weren't even on the podium. In one short year, they won gold and silver at the Olympics. Things certainly can change drastically in one year.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Not since the 1970s though has there been 2 teams as far ahead of the field as V&M and D&W are. Alot can change in one year, but one thing that definitely wont is those 2 being the top 2 teams. Had either team been staying in they could start to be challenged after 2014, but I doubt either will, regardless of the Sochi results.

After the 2009 Worlds there was still no dominant team. Domnina & Shabalin barely won their first World title, a kind of lifetime achievement award, but were barely holding together physically at that point and a shadow of their late 2007-2008 level of skating. Picking them to win the 2010 Olympic Gold would be an iffy choice at best at that point. Belbin & Agosto had still not won a major title, and it was looking increasingly unlikely they ever would. They had worked hard and made improvements, but the judges just werent going for it at that point. Delobel & Schoenfelder had dominated the fall of 2008 after their surprise World title in 2008, but had since gotten injured, missed Worlds, and gotten pregnant. There being ready in time to even contend in Vancouver was a long shot. So it wasnt even very surprising V&M and D&W rose to the top 2 spots the following season.

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I know all of that. I was just taking issue with the absolute statement.

22. blueglass

blueglass New Member

There's a nasty little thread over at GS asking if it's all over for V/M that manages to insult the two every other post, so is that why this one was started - to get it going over here too?

23. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Both can come back for 2018 O's and break the tie. :D

24. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Second page and only praise for both teams. Unless I'm missing something.

25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

V/M. Mark my words. Scott Moir will begin the whining and ranting about injustices and disrespect right after the GP,F and with Skate Canada politiking them, they will then pull off an "upset" victory a few months later.

26. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I think we all know the fix is in. The ISU obviously hates V/M.

27. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Didn't take long LOL.

28. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: I wonder how many other team wish they were as hated by the ISU as V/M?

29. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

This thread isn't asking us to list each team's best qualities. It's asking a simple question: who would you bet on. I firmly believe that V/M won 2012 worlds because of Scott's tantrum/politicking after the GPF. I firmly expect the same tantrum and attempts to plant seeds of doubt about D/W come the end of 2013 when he sees a second Olympic gold slipping away. V/M will go on to win in a nailbiter. I do think D/W are the better team now but I don't see them politicking/whining in the same way.

30. walei

walei Well-Known Member

If you can't use any examples on why V/M was overscored or D/W was underscored and shouldn't have lost them levels in World 2012 or 4CC 2012, then yes it is firmly your personal opinion but it is also firmly a baseless one. What exactly did Scott do to politik their way to Gold in Nice? Calling the scores given to them by the judges a "piss off"? That is some quality ass kissing right there.

A team being showered with 10s, level 4s and +3 GOEs competitions after competitions with bobbles and flaws in their element execution, DOESN'T whine and politik? Please tell me more.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013