If you love cats, then you'll *love* this cafe in Japan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, May 15, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Got World's Weirdest Resturants on Food Network and just saw a place in Japan that would be right up my alley. It's The Cat Calico Cafe and you can go have a meal and at the same time, enjoy some feline company. As one of the people interviewed said, due to the small space of most Japanese homes, many can't have a pet just due to lack of space. So this Cafe helps to fill that need for Cat lovers for a little while.

Unusual Restaurants ~ The Cat Calico Cafe

I thought it was pretty cool and as a Cat lover, right up my alley. Just thought I'd share this w/the rest of my fellow Feline lovers here at FSU. :)

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would so go to this cafe! :cat:

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'd love that!

4. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I recently watched a television special on cats in Japan and they had a segment on the cat cafe's. Fantastic concept, but I'm afraid I would be there for days on end :shuffle:.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Nothing to be ashamed of. I love that they're rescue cats as well. I'd probably spend all of my time there as well.

It reminds me of a youth hostel I stayed at in San Francisco back in 1994. They had a cat and most evenings it would sit curled up on my lap while I read a book or the newspaper

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I would so love it if they would open one in Toronto! Saw a news piece on the BBC the other day of just such a cafe opening in Vienna. :cheer2:

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've seen several bed and breakfasts and inns in my travels that featured a cat as part of your stay. You could choose a kitty and it would sleep in your room, or on you, as the case may be. I always worried that weirdo cat haters would go there and do...well, let's not go there. But evidently, these kinds of places are a real hit.

What I want to know is how they keep the cats from grabbing your food! That was always a distraction when I had my kitties. They would literally get up on the table with us if we'd let them. Which we didn't-but still. They must have a system. No no, kitty, no sushi for you!

8. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

What a comfort to have kitties all around you, I would totally do this. I love that they have a variety of different cats , too. The cats look quite 'well fed' perhaps that's why they're not interested in stealing the customers' food.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

A nice FSUr sent me a link to a map of cat cafes in Tokyo when I was there, but I didn't get a chance to go. I'd have loved it, though.

10. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I saw this on Animal Planet a few months ago and I loved it! I would totally visit a place like this at least once a week.

I love the idea of b&b's that offer kitties. One of the things I dislike about travel is not having my kitty-cat with me.

11. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think having a cat to sleep with you in an inn is a lovely idea. I've heard of it and would love to try. Cats are so therapeutic. :cat:

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I would love this!

And I can't believe no one has posted how appalling it is, health codes, allergies, etc yet :cheer2:

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I looked up California businesses and they provide stories and pictures of their cats. A lot of the time it's a stray walking up to the business and asking for help. How do they know whom to approach?

Several stray cats have approached my husband meowing for help through the years and he placed them all into nice homes, one into my parents' household. He is the patron saint of stray cats and he is not even a cat person. How do they know?

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

That looks so cute and relaxing! I wish I could go to one of those, and just hang with the kitties.

It's no fun being allergic to cats... :( :(

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

They must be a different breed of kitty than my last :cat:. He no likey other people at all. As soon as the doorbell rang .....zzzzooooommmmm up the stairs and under the bed. And like clockwork, about 10 minutes after hearing the door close when they left, here he come back down when the coast was clear, with a look on his face like 'why u keep lettin' other people in my house!'. :lol: