If you like both D/W & V/M but love other couples..........

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PashaFan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

With the IJS has made Ice Dance more about executing high-level elements cleanly rather than dance, I would like the ISU to come up with a way to make the SDs more about the dance element with emphasis of correct dance holds, appropriate steps, rhythms, etc. I've always been in favor of the OD/SD being more "traditional" but still allowing couples ways to find creative interpretations of that tradition (like the Duschenays, for example) while allowing the FDs to be more free in the sort of dances allowed (lyrical, hip-hop, interpretive, modern, traditional, ballroom, etc.). It might be a tall order, but I think that's still doable with IJS.

As of right now, outside the pattern dance, I don't see much difference in the dances of the SD and the FD generally, no matter what rhythm is prescribed to that season's SD.

2. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I'm with you. This short Dance has everything for me. They have such a natural style. They are very easy to watch. Also three of my friends who don't watch much skating said they enjoy watching P/B the most as they are fun & seem to show personality more.
    I'm not saying in terms of the technical mark they are the best but I enjoy them the most.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Back when the current judging system was first being discussed, fans generally could see how you can define and give points to the things singles and pairs do, but ice dance has no real elements. If you look back to pre-COP dances, there were only brief, simple spins, the lifts were small and came and went in a second or two. With occasional exceptions, there weren't really step sequences because the whole dance was a sequence of steps. So how, folks wondered, were they going to assign levels to dances? Divide the rink into quarters and make each circuit around the rink 4 elements? (That actually is kind of how they assigned levels to the compulsory dances, by dividing them into chunks, but asking callers to assign levels on the fly when every skater has original steps would be pretty difficult.)

As an example, how would you define this 1998 OD in terms of elements:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD0UKQ4TG8A

Of all the disciplines, dance is the one which the new judging system concept of discrete, scorable elements simply did not fit. So, they changed dance to match the scoring system by creating dance elements and calling everything else transitions.

In theory, they could add more value to skating in close holds using the PCS mark, but the guidance does not call for that (and in any event, we'd be talking a point or two). Similarly, a dance that really does not capture the feel or look the the designated rhythm could be hit in the PCS marks, but the ISU seems totally unwilling to be sticklers to strict dance floor styles.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying. But wouldn't say the ODs from the 2000-2004 period were easier to adapt to IJS than the ODs or OSPs from other periods?

5. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think so. A lot of folks blame the SLC judging scandal for the change in system, but in fact it was already being developed long before that. IMO the dance technical committee started paving the way for the new system by introducing requirements for things like a dance spin and no touch steps even before 2002. (You see those in the 2002 Olympic ODs, which is why I started looking farther back.) It just didn't have as much impact on the rest of the dance yet because they did not need to make them ugly-complicated to get levels and the dance was still being scored as a whole under 6.0.

6. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

ITA. Except for the part about your taste ;) I've been gushing over PB's sd since french masters. I appreciate that they made it actually enjoyable, because frankly many teams missed that mark. But to each his own!

7. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

So Russian Nationals was interesting.
    Bobrova/Soloviev won, Ekaterina wore a much better dress !.
    Ilinykh/Katsalapov had a bad fall early in the FD. They looked really poor through the program.
    It looks bad for them going into the Euros & Sochi. I was so sad that they fell.
    I still don't get how a FD that would look out of date against Bourne/Kraatz & Grishuk/Platov of the 90's is getting such high scores. Bob/Sol have gone a little backwards this year for me. While Ili/Kat are helping take the sport forwards.

8. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

9. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I truly expect D/W to go to this years WCh to get their third World gold. Will be very disappointed if one of the top 2 teams doesn't go for it.

10. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

It's getting closer to Olympic time! :cheer: Here's a list of the Olympic Ice Dance qualifiers with their national championship scores (where I could find them)! The * means that they have been officially announced as part of the National Olympic Team. Names in parenthesis represent multiple teams vying for that spot. Red font = team event.

Olympic Ice Dance Spots (24 total)

Australia (1) – O’Brien/ Merriman*-- won Nats 145.97

Azerbaijan (1) – Zlobina/ Stinikov

Canada (3) – Virtue/ Moir, Weaver/ Poje, (Paul/ Islam; Gilles/ Poirier)

China (1) – Huang/ Zheng—won Chinese Nats with 134.18

France (2) – Pechalat/ Bourzat – won French Nats 176.78 (Carron/ Jones – skipped Nats but won Universiade 153.65; Papdakis/ Cizeron—2nd at Nats 154.24)

Germany (2) –Zhinganshina/ Gazsi*—won Nats 149.41 (Cheers to Nelli for getting her citizenship in time!), Kolbe/ Caruso*—2nd at Nats 145.26

Great Britain (1) – Coomes/ Buckland*-- won Nats 147.10

Italy (2) – Cappellini/ Lanotte—won Nats 183.35; Guignard/ Fabbri—2nd at Nats 157.40

Japan (1) – Reed/ Reed – won Jap Nats 142.87*

Lithuania (1) – Tobias/ Stagniunas (Yay for getting her citizenship on time!)

Russia (3) – Bobrova/ Soloviev—Won Rus Nats 179.90 , Ilinykh/ Katsalapov—2nd at Rus Nats 168.01, ( Sinitsina/ Zhiganshin – 3rd at Nats 165.60; Riazanova/ Tkachenko—4th at Nats 163.99)

Spain (1) – Hurtado/ Diaz—won Spanish Nats 150.88

Turkey (1) – Agafonova/ Ucar

Ukraine (1) – Heekin-Canedy/ Dun – National Champs (det. at Ukrainian open) 137.01

US (3) – Davis/ White, (Shibs; Chock/ Bates; Hubbell/ Donohue)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you, MissJD, really, but :confused:?

12. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Now there's some nationals inflation.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  13. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

14. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Haha! Thanks Mrs. P, I corrected it! Perhaps I should sort my spreadsheet by discipline as well as country ;)

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That would be taking Nationals inflation to a new level. :D

17. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

18. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

19. Marta24

Marta24 Member

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Weaver/Poje are getting hyped like D/W & V/M.
    For me, when the two top couples retire I would like to see no single couple dominate like these two have over the past two years.
    If W/P are the best then fine but they don't have a right to it. No couple should.
    Cappelini/Lanotte are improving so much & Bobrova/Soloviev have a lot of improving to do. Also Ilinykh/Katsapalov are also natural future World Champions.
    I would love to see World titles change hands between 3 or 4 different couples in the next few years.

21. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

22. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I think if D/W and V/M retire, we won't see such a dominant rivalry for a long time. I/K have the talent to dominate the ice dance world, but they have to pull themselves together. Other couples that I'm going to watch out for are Paul/Islam and Hawayek/Baker. Paul/Islam seem so finally have found a way to show their talent in competition and I think training in DSC is really helping them. IMO, Hawayek/Baker have that certain something you can't get, regardless how many hours you train.

23. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

24. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

North America have dominated Ice Dance for the past 5 years but European couples are coming back up there. I hope we get a good balance at the top.

25. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

26. Marta24

Marta24 Member

It's the Amelie soundtrack.

27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

There seems to be a curse on successful U.S. junior teams when they turn senior, especially teams really similar in height... Lichtman/Copely and now Aldridge/Eaton are struggling. I feel like over the next few Oly cycles we'll see fewer teams like Virtue/Moir and more teams like Chock/Bates as the sport keeps getting more acrobatic.

28. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I hope not. Honestly, I don't know what to make of Chock/Bates. Last season it looked like they are close to Weaver/Poje, but at CoR they lost with a 10 points gap to W/P.

29. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

You know, besides Moir being expressive and mugging as if he is the only skater in the world with sex appeal, I find nothing all that outstanding about this ice dance team. Phony romantic themes with questionable skating every season, "peaking" for Worlds and Olympics.

Virtue and Moir are BORING.

Therefore, it makes me watch all the other teams more closely, and I realize that V/M are not THAT great.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Questionable skating? Well, they do make mistakes, but elements without mistakes are not all that great skating consists of. Otherwise a team like, say, Reeds would win over Virtue/Moir, Ilinykh/Katsalapov or Weaver/Poje when they make less mistakes than those teams (or other higher level teams). It's your problem that you don't understand where the quality/greatness in skating/ice dancing lies.