If you like both D/W & V/M but love other couples..........

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PashaFan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Some skaters manage to appear genuine when they are skating, while others appear fake. And fake is more the norm in ice dance than in other disciplines.

Nothing is more fake to me than a smile plastered and frozen on a skater's face continually throughout the program. These are clearly fake smiles and the skater maintains it with a lot of tension. No one can genuinely smile just one smile for several minutes. A smile is basically a expression that moves and is held for a fleeting moment in time - even a 'long' smile.

This is most common among female ice dancers. I'm sure that they are told to smile in that way and to reach up way in the stands with it. And it is not as bothersome when there is more distance between skater and audience, more bothersome when watching close to the ice or on TV.

One of the things I like about Tessa Virtue is that she has a lot of genuine facial expressions, IMO, anyway.

2. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you're wrong, but I guess we'll see. Im not sure what constitutes better international results - last year S/Z won a bronze medal in GP event. Did RT medal this year or last year? Im trying to remember, but I dont think so. Considering their very limited international exposure, I would say S/Z have had better results [in faster time]. Of course they're less experienced than R/T, but they'll never get experience if they're not sent. R/T have done virtually nothing this quad - time to try out someone else.

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. I used to refer to those as pasted on cardboard smiles. I think this was one of the things that kept me from every warming to Nancy Kerrigan.

What I was referring to in the post you quoted, was those loving/seductive/amorous looks between ice dancers who are not at all romantically involved. To me, any one of these is about as fake as the next.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with this. Tessa exudes a sincerity that I find very attractive in her musical interpretation. It doesn't always work for the dances V/M perform, but when it does, it really works.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Tessa and Scott fool me, and some others do as well. The documentary on them showed their ballroom dance coach teaching them to touch each other sensually - they had to practice. It was interesting.

There is some acting involved, much as there is with two actors doing a sex scene. But in ice dance as in acting, it really comes down to movement and expression. Some skaters are better at it than others. And the expression involved is easier to pull off than a four and a half minute smile because it is based on something people do naturally. A four and a half minute smile is not natural.

7. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

So it's the Short Dance later today.
    It will be a really interesting event at the Europeans this year.
    No B/S or P/B.
    The Gold may be between I/K & C/L.
    It's a tough one to call. I really hope everyone skates clean.

8. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

The short dance starts at 11:30 ET today, and free dance is tomorrow at 12:25 ET (17:30 and 18:25 in Budapest local time) Rai Sport live stream

Here's the link to the starting order/ live results/ protocols page.

9. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Sorry double post!

10. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

There's an interview with Nathalie Pechalet over at ICE Network .
    They are reworking the SD to a more ballroom style with more closed holds .The first music section will be to Roxy to keep with the Fosse theme.Also Nathalie's dress was too SEXY :D

11. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea - although they left it a bit late.

The SD was their weak spot - if they can improve that so they lead [for 3rd] or are very close, OBM looks very good for them.

12. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I'm really torn about who I want to win the Ice Dance event.
    C/L have such lovely programs but I feel I/K have more technical content.
    I wish both couples could win !.

13. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Good decision, I think. I've felt all along that this year's burlesque SD was too similar to last year's can-can SD. Doing essentially the same thing 2 years in a row looked unimaginative. And yes, a bit tawdry compared to the elegance of some of the other teams.

14. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Aaaand Cappellini/ Lanotte win Euros! Ilinykh/ Katsalapov win silver. And a well deserved bronze for Coomes/ Buckland!

C/L 48.49 + 53.54 = 102.03 (no deductions)- 171.61
    I/K 47.28 + 54.69 = 100.97 (-1 deduction) -- 170.51
    C/B 48.07 + 48.86 = 96.93 (no deductions) -- 158.69

And S/Z beat out R/T 153.73 to 150.44! So I guess they're Russia's #3 now? Do we know when it'll be announced?

There were SO many random falls (including Ilinykh) and long lift deductions! Hope everyone gets it together!

As for Nat and Fab, I can't wait to see the new version of their SD. I was in love with the original, but I agree that they needed to change it if the judges didn't like it. I really want them to get that OBM. As for Nat's dress, I thought she was rocking it! I don't think any of the other ice dance ladies could do it! :D Well, actually both SD dresses, and I was kinda hoping there would be a new more scandalous version! :drama:

15. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Delighted for C/L but gutted for I/K.
    To lose a European title like that must have been awful.
    Penny & Nick should be so proud after everything they have been through.
    C/J just fell apart towards the end of their FD, such a shame.
    S/Z the new Russian couple really impressed me too.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Hooray for Capellini & Lanotte! I'm so thrilled that they won the gold at Europeans!

17. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Protocols:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2014/ec2014_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2014/ec2014_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Though I was obviously voting for Lena and Nikita, I am very, very happy for Anna and Luca. They have improved so much over the last few years, and I think they are the most charismatic team in the world. I can't believe how much more at ease Anna looks on her blades--I can't even imagine the number of hours that went into that. I really notice the difference in their step sequences. And everything is looking so much smoother.

I too am gutted for Lena and Nikita...better here than at Olympics, I guess. I am anticipating a HUGE crowd response if they skate that FD the way I know they can. Does anyone have any pics of them working with Diana Vishneva? I haven't been able to find any, and it would be really cool to see.

I was really surprised at C&B's bronze. I have a lot of respect for them for overcoming so much, but I hope they work a lot more on their basic stroking technique, just smooth things out...some of their strokes look a bit choppy and I want to see greater use of their edges. and I know Yevgeny now has them doing ballet on a more regular basis so I hope to see their dancing develop over the next few years. They have the charisma, and I want to see them take their dancing to the next level.

I think we will see an exciting rivalry between S&Z, S&B, and M&K in the future. The depth in Russian ice dance right now is really something.

P&C just need time.

I was also curious what you all (well, those of you who caught Finlandia Trophy) thought of Torn and Partanen? I think they have a bright future and I would love to see a Finnish dance team back up there.

and which other teams caught your eye?

18. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Well, from Europeans I really enjoyed Guignard/ Fabbri (R&J) and Tobais/ Stagniunas's (James Bond) FDs. Honestly I hadn't paid either team much attention this season. Hurtado and Diaz are growing on me. I thought their Picaso FD was much better here than the last time I saw it (can't even remember which competition, haha). I personally think M/K have a long way to go, and I'm not into either of the French teams (C/J, P/C). I haven't seen Torn/Partanen, but I'll check them out.

19. Bournekraatzfan

Omg, how could i foget to mention Hurtado&Diaz? One of my favourite teams right now. Loved their performance of their Picasso FD here. That is one of my favourite FDs this season.

I agree, MK have a long way to go but i think they have potential. Of course, i am hoping Lena and Nikita can get things together very soon and be a top team allowing the teams below them to flourish.

I look forward to hearing what you all think of Torn&Partanen.

puglover and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Fialka88

Fialka88 New Member

In a recent interview, Lena said they did not get the chance to work with Vishneva due to a scheduling conflict. She said they worked with someone from the Bolshoi, but did not name the person.

21. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I found a video of their SD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCPNCcP5dI

He seems really dancy. To my eye, he seems a bit stronger than she at present.

22. Bournekraatzfan

Ah, thank you Fialka88! I missed that interview. I wonder who they worked with.

Yes, i agree. She was a singles skater and only recently switched to ice dance. I really like their basics and am impressed at how good they look for a team that has been together for such a short time. And yes, it is nice to see ice dancers who dance--it is something we see less of due to the demands of the new system. But i see more and more teams prioritizing dance, and it makes me so happy :)

23. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Can't find G/P thread so will ask here. Has anyone downloaded 4CC SD for G/P?

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

25. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Thanks pani. I like this SD. I certainly think that Canada has great hope in future after T/S retire. Lots of very promising young couples.