If you like both D/W & V/M but love other couples..........

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PashaFan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

This thread is for fan's who like watching ALL Ice Dance couples.
    I really enjoy D/W & V/M but can't really comment on other couples as their threads are for their super-fans.
    I fell in love with Ice Dance during the 1992 Olympics in Albertville & even though I have had favourite couples over the years, I can honestly say there has not been a couple in the top flight I have not enjoyed watching.
    This season so far I have loved watching both Tessa & Scott & Meryl & Charlie but other couples have had me glued to my tv set. Such as C/L, P/B, W/P & the lower ranked French team C/J.
    So if their are other couples you want to talk about feel free.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I love the top 2 and am also a big W/P fan. Aside from them, I really like Zhinitsina/Gaszi (I'm sure I've mangled the spelling but it's early so please forgive). I adored the zombie routine last year but I'm not sure of their programs this year. They just aren't grabbing me. I would like to see what they could do with different material.

3. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I really adore W/P and P/B, but I also like B/S a lot and feel like they really don't have a lot of fans, but personally I find them interesting (though this seasons free is not nearly as good as last seasons)

4. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

I like B/S's FD this year although I might be a party of one. I love the little bird details; I think it has loads of potential. I love P/B and think that they deserved to win today, though.

5. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

I've been thinking about starting a general ice dance thread for a while, so I love the idea behind this! Maybe the title is a bit confusing though? Outside of the top two, I'm loving H/D and P/B this year! I've always liked Z/G (they're so entertaining!) and I/K. I hate most of this year's SD's, especially all of the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy crap. I do like V/M, P/B, and W/P's though (out of the ones we've seen on the GP so far). I actually like most of the free dances, but I wish C/B and W/P would take the vocals out of their music. I liked both dances, but found the music terrible and distracting. Scrufflet, I also don't get Z/G's programs... apparently they're two parts of the same story (with the same music and costumes), but I don't think it works out like they planned it to. I appreciate them doing something different, but I really like them and wish they had better programs. As to B/S, I think they have potential but their programs need a lot of work (which isn't surprising considering they're new); they're always super adorable in the K&C though! Love that!

ETA: Forgot to add that I love C/L as well!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I love P/B first but adore D/W too. Like watching V/M but just don't find them exciting even though I really appreciate their wonderful skating skills.I am really liking W/P who I think could be world champ's at world's if the others retire.
    The other newcomers I'm really liking are H/D S/B and I'm looking forward to seeing P/C the French couple.M/K Russia could be an exciting couple for the future too !

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thanks to Mao88, I saw LPs for P/B and B/S. I adore P/b's Little Prince number! B/S I found completely boring, lots of arm flapping and intense, agonized expressions. I think these two deserve better.

8. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Though I appreciate and love many teams, Weaver/ Poje have been my favorites for a while now. Consistently creative, emotional programs from them, and their skills seem to be improving every year. I hope they keep skating for the next Olympic cycle and become World and Olympic medalists. It's funny, because the first time I truly paid attention to them, at SC 2009 with Phantom program, I though they were too "pretty", too sugary for my liking. And the following year at Moscow Worlds I was so blown away by how they performed "Moulin Rouge", so fearless, that I became a big fan. And since then, even a bigger fan. Love their LP this year.

9. PashaFan

I loved Z/G SD at Skate Canada but though carrying it through to the Free was a bit too much. Also keeping the same costumes was too much for me. Anyone out there love Ekaterina Riazanova & Ilia Tkachenko ?. I loved their Gala program at Skate Canada.
    I loved watching Carron & Jones at COC. But the judges never seem to go with them.
    Really looking forward to watching I/K in the coming weeks.

10. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Well, I lurve V/M and I love Charlie and D/W's dances (but not Meryl).
    However, I am a great admirer and fan of W/P and P/B. At the Worlds in London I acquired a new fave...Spanish dancers Hurtado and Diaz. Too bad they are not on the GP circuit.

11. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Davis/White but also love the Shibutanis & Cappellini/Lanotte.

12. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I love the Shibs! Their MJ free dance is so much fun live :)

13. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I would be more excited/interested about a thread with people who do not like D&W or V&M but love other couples...

14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Ice Dance is the only discipline where I like every single team. :HA!:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Skating_Bridget

Skating_Bridget New Member

So happy to see this thread! I fell in love with ice dancing during the Vancouver Olympics. While I'm a big fan of D/W and V/M, I think my love of them blinded me to a lot of real talent in the discipline for some time! I'm a big fan of the Shibs, but have recently become an admirer of Cappellini/Lanotte. I had the opportunity to see them at Skate America and fell in love with their style and presence on the ice. I look forward to watching them this season!

16. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I do like C/L they are fabulous dancer's and Anna's expression is wonderful she really sells everything.I really thought she was great in their latin SD .But.... they still don't have the edges that the other's have .I think they are fast but still look to skate small IMO.

Loving all the dance thread's that are popping up !

17. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Ice dance :inavoid:

I love pretty much every team! :cheer: I really can't choose between D/W and V/M - it depends on their dances and even the performance of the day. The thought that we're not going to be seeing them for much longer is a bit disheartening and I'm only starting to realize it now. I feel like I should've tried to enjoy their greatness even more in the past! :drama: But of course new teams getting to the top will be exciting as well. :kickass:

18. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I really like the Shibs too. They've experienced difficulties after their peak showing with a bronze. I've liked what I've seen this year (long only). I'm curious to know how the rest of you feel. Do you feel they've improved? What do you think they need to do to break through to the top?

19. PashaFan

They have improved in many ways. Mainly for me, they have got stronger. But I would love to see them try something really different. I know the MJ Free this season is a real departure for them but maybe something like a Fleetwood Mac Medley would have suited them better. But it's early day's this season. I'm so looking forward to watching them in their next GP event. It was such a shame they had a fall in Skate America.
    I feel their SD needs a little work.
    Ice Dancers have such an advantage as they can use lyrics. Sometimes I think some Ice Dancers don't use it well.
    Who would skate well to Lady Gaga.....................................

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

There are actually two H/Ds; I like Hurtado/Diaz myself, and I think their Picasso FD has a lot of potential. They're creative with the lifts and have their own style. I hope they can improve technically and get more love from the judges.

Of the higher ranked teams, I'm a P/B fan but can also appreciate the Canadian teams and C/L.

21. PashaFan

So looking forward to NHK. I'm really hoping I take to D/W programs more than I did at Skate America.
    Also hoping that Shibs skate clean.
    Can't wait to see how I/K skate.
    But C/L had my heart at Skate America. They were the best for me.

22. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread, PashaFan.

I am in love with I&K, and P&I and a big fan of the Shibutanis, Weaver&Poje, Cappellini&Lanotte, and Pechalat&Bourzat. I also really like Hurtado&Diaz, Huang&Zheng, Merriman&O'Brien, and Gorshkova&Butikov (for whom I cannot find any recent news :(). I also have a soft spot for Riazanova&Tkachenko, and Bobrova&Soloviev have really grown on me.

Like Scrufflet, I adore P&B's "Petit Prince" FD--I find it utterly charming with some lovely moments. One of the things I love so much about them is their blend of beautiful skating and true dancing (variations in speed and tension of movements, engagement of rhythm, etc.).

I love how their leg movements communicate the style of the music here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=68s

And the exits from the lifts work so nicely with the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=81s

and here, watch how Nathalie pulls her mid-section up and forward and bends her knee of her free leg to hit that little section of the music...her movement captures the feel of that particular section of music so well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=136s

and here I love how they momentarily freeze the downward movement to correspond to the descent of the notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=139s

and how they end their circular in a tender embrace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=186s

I also love the clear change of tempo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eFAS2O8MI&feature=youtu.be&t=221s

In general, I want to see less hand-to-hand skating and less space between them--skating close is something they are known for. I also want to see more of the gorgeous technique they honed under Zazoui, Zhulin, and K+C, but this was their first GP of the season and they really grow their programs throughout the season, so I cannot wait to see this program evolve. I think it will be magic by the time of the Olympics.

What are your favourite things about the programs we have seen so far?

nuge and (deleted member) like this.
  23. PashaFan

Such a great post Bournekraatzfan !.
    The Youtube clips were great to watch.
    I too loved Gorshkova/Butikov. It's a shame they are no place to be seen.
    I really wish the judges would give more credit for Ice Dancers like P/B & C/L who may slow things down but take time to make each move special.
    Sometimes I think they mark on what they think they should see rather than what they do see.

24. Bue

Bue Active Member

After today's FD at NHK, count me in the Gilles/Poirer camp. I was not impressed with them at all last season, but wow, this FD. I am not sure anything yet this season has captured my attention like this performance did. Such innovation!

25. PashaFan

Kinda let down with I/K Free Dance but loved their Short Dance at NHK. The Shibs were much better than Skate America.
    Not sure that D/W are that much far ahead of others as the marks would show but they were worthy winners.
    C/L were not as good for me as at Skate America but still loving them.
    So far this season my top 3 SD's are;
    1-P/B
    2-V/M
    3-S/S
    And my top 3 FD's are;
    1-V/M
    2-P/B
    3-C/L

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I love this thread because I am loving ice dance and I appreciate almost all the dancers right now.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PashaFan

I know !. It's a really fantastic time in Ice Dancing.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am not a regular dance fan but I like both V/M and D/W and also think the Shibs are cute. I used to like Carron/Jost but that's no more. May be this is the thread for me?

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I also want to say how much I love this thread. I know people are complaining about how IJS is killing the classic tenet of ice dance by putting much more emphasis on individual elements and athleticism, but for what these teams have to work with, I think this is an embarrassment of riches where there is true competition for the gold and bronze medals. This is the first time where I feel teams in the lower top ten (6-10) can actually jump into the top half if the cards are dealt right.

I'm enjoying so many teams and love that they all seem so hungry to win a medal.

Count me in the Gilles/Poirer lovefest. Their Hitchcock FD a breath of fresh air. Pechelat/Bourzat's FD is my personal favorite thus far. It's like a throwback to the qualities of ice dance that should be appreciated (but aren't as much right now), but adapted for this code.

As for the Shibs, I still think their biggest problem is that unlike most teams, they don't do a lot of extraneous (or at least in some people's eyes, enough) upper-body movement and it makes their skating look much smaller and introverted compared to other teams who seem to know how to express outwards towards the audience. I think a lot of it is their style. Even though they have a lot of personality and seem extroverted in their ShibSibs videos, I do think it's in their natural nature to not be as...extroverted. I appreciate that quality because it's a very clean style, but then to really wow skating fans and the judges, they need a little bit more of what the other ice dancers are doing. They need to make people have their eyes glued to them, and right now, they're turning some off with their more understated style.

30. PashaFan

The Shibs hardly ever make errors & I think the judges really take that into thought when they compete with I/K who made many errors last season.
    I have to say that I thought I/K should have won the Bronze at NHK as their choreography & lifts were better IMO. But the Shibs nailed both programs.
    Anyone know if I/K skated in the NHK exhibition ?. They were not shown here in the UK & they did not skate in the 2011 & 2012 NHK exhibitions either.