If you could impart (non-financial) wisdom to your younger self, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Apr 29, 2013.

1. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

"Do you see that tall,dark and handsome law student? Get away from him NOW!" and "Stop waining about how you can't afford to go to Europe and do the math for a change, you'll be surprised".
    Finally, to my 11 year old self it shoud be "See that chocolate? don't eat it, you don't have your fathers' tyroid"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Stop playing it safe and do what you wanted to do instead of putting it off....like traveling right after university... you should have done that!!!

Don't be such a herd member. Go do those things even though your friends aren't interested.

Be nicer to that guy. He was the one and you pushed him away because you didn't think you were good enough, which was WRONG.

and go to college sooner. University was great, but if you'd gone to college after that right away instead of waiting 8 years, you would have been working longer and making more money.

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I agree with Southpaw, I wouldn't have listened, but what i might have said:

those "cool kids" are not worth your time. Find the people who are nice to others, they are the important people in life.

4. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

This.

So if I could have gotten the headstrong beyotch to listen, I'd tell her that fixing damaged men is not the pathway to happiness, that obsession does not equal love and that self-discipline is not equivalent to boring.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Never allow yourself to be a doormat, no guy is worth it. :(

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I would tell myself that on April 18, 2010, at 9:50 pm at night, don't flippantly blow off an important decision that pretty much alters the course of your life ...for the worse. :( I'd live through all the stupid decisions and suckiness my life has been just to change that one moment in time. Other than that I would tell myself:

Save every freaking dime you can! Don't spend money on crap!! Save save save save save!!

And most importantly .... don't be a beyotch. :p

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That would be mine, too.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

unless you are in some sort of financial crisis, working 70 + hrs/wk is excessive

9. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Mom is right. Just accept it.

get a kid earlier. Pregnancy is not scary.

Don't let good friendships slide

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Don't sweat the small stuff.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Take the therapy the hospital offered.

I really wish the pyschologist I refused to talk to, since I had a physical injury, not a mental/emotional one would have done a better job of explaining the long term, non-physical effects my injury might cause for me.

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Pick the oboe.

That job is a bad idea. ...That one too.

13. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I would tell my younger self that God had a whole new plan for me regarding what the future held; that it would make me appreciate the gift of life even more and try to share those blessings with others.

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I would tell myself to spend more time at home with my parents, they won't be around for long.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Stay out of the sun.
    Drink more water.
    Don't quit piano, quit ballet instead. (Your joints will love you for it, and you can play piano in your old age).
    Spend your junior year in Paris.
    Take your first job in a city that has decent weather.
    Don't take a job that requires 12 or more hours of work a day.
    Take 2 of those work hours and exerise instead.

PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  16. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Let it go.
    No man is better than the wrong man.
    Keep those baseball cards in a safe place, where you can find them in forty years. :)

17. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

All great advice.

Not that I'd listen to my older self, but I'd tell my younger self....
    Be young. Have fun. Worry less -- especially about money. Travel more. Spend more. Focus on strengths and not on weaknesses. Be easier on yourself. And everyone for that matter. Especially your mother -- you take her for granted and don't realize how amazing she is. Life will not always be linear. Life will be complicated -- enjoy the simpler times when they come.

I'm less stubborn than I was in my youth, so if my 45-year-old future self wants to appear, my 32-year-old current self is very open to advice. :lol:

18. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

I would tell my self that the nice Christian asswipes that barked and called me a dog all through high school have dirty ugly souls, and are not worthy of ME. And that some day I WILL be awesome and fabulous, and they will still be friggin hypocrites.
    SO THERE!!

19. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I was gonna say, Louis, you still ARE your younger self! But having known you more than 10 years I think your advice is good. ;)

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I could also say:
    Go to college sooner, and attend one that has major conference sports. Except then, I would probably have had just as much fun as I had in those years in NYC dancing (just in a different setting) and I would have come out with lousier grades. And I would not have met my husband. So being older and wiser during college was probably better for me.

21. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Found this on Twitter...I like it...

22. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

The whole "go to college, graduate in 4 years, get a job, start a family, have 2.5 kids, retire" checklist is bullshit. Find your own path, don't expect to go from A to B to C.

23. KCC

KCC Active Member

Make more friends (of all ages) and expand a network of professional contacts. Get masters degree sooner. Learn more foreign languages well. Don't take that last promotion -- stick to doing things that you enjoy and do well. Get more sleep and learn ways to manage stress. Say "no" more often and set better boundaries with family members. Start saving a bit sooner. Live abroad for at least a year.

24. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

I would tell my younger self to relax. All the worry in the world won't help any situation so just relax, it's better for your health. Things will work out the way they were meant to in its own time.

25. moojja

moojja Active Member

Drink more, party more. Don't bother to study, just the basic is enough. It's all about making social connections and learn how to deal with people. Get off the internet (still not following that one). Skin will always be prettier at 20 then at 40, so wear more makeup and less clothing. Sleep with more men, have a baby or two. B/c you will change your mind and biology doesn't wait. And the whole, you don't need a man thing, you're just lying to yourself.

26. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'd tell me two things...

1) Dont be afraid of the world

2) If you want something, you must go out and get it. The world isn't going to come to you.

27. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Words of wisdom.

Get lip injections instead of waiting around for 10 years worrying whether you can afford to maintain it. Go to the Guns "N Roses and Michael Jackson concerts like you wanted to, and your judgmental punk friends be damned. Play around with the bad boys in your twenties, and give the quiet guys a chance in your thirties. Get up earlier and make your ass work harder for what you want.

28. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Take a gap year between high school and college to find your feet and gain some financial and emotional independence.

29. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Don't bother with that tattoo - you're not going to want it in a few years!