If you could impart (non-financial) wisdom to your younger self, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Apr 29, 2013.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I know, we'd all tell ourselves to invest in Apple, and that sort of thing.:cool:

I'm talking about lessons you've learned as you've gotten older that might have done you some good in your younger years. Or things that if you'd known to do them (or not do them) when you were younger, might make your life better now.

I'd tell myself not to eat sweets out of habit, not to assume automatically that I was going to fail at certain things, and to be more willing to try things that scared me.

What would you tell yourself?

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

"Do not buy that. You don't need it."

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Don't be a teacher.

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Tough question. While I'd like for my younger self to avoid some of the mistakes and the crap, I think I needed to learn some of those lessons the hard way. I don't know if I'd be the same person today without going through all that; maybe I'd be better off to have avoided it, maybe not.

I like the often posed sci-fi idea (and even proposed by some theoretical physicists) that there are parallel universes in which we are living all possible lives...have made all the choices...both saying yes and saying no.

5. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Eat healthier

7. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Choose a different major, one that can give you a career instead of long term unemployment.

Trust me, if I could have one wish granted it would be to turn back time to the moment I was filling out those university applications.

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I would hand my 13-year-old self a Sonicare toothbrush when I got braces. :eek: I'm still paying for it today, because my teeth are weak in all the spots my braces were. It's really my only regret....

9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Stop scowling...you'll have more control over your life soon enough. And when that happens, it'll be amazing.

10. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

ITA. I might have even told myself not to even bother with college, at least not one that specializes in "Liberal Arts" .

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  11. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

12. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Never assume and never waste your time with people that just see you as a way of spending their time. Be more selective of who you befriend

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

It costs nothing (except maybe some self-control) to be polite. The cost of being rude is much greater.

14. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Don't listen to the naysayers. Follow your heart.

Stop procrastinating!!!!

15. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Don't get conceived.

(The egg talking to itself, I suppose.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I'm pretty sure my younger self wouldn't have listened to anything I might have told me. :shuffle:

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

It's not always about you. When life takes a turn, look for all the reasons.

18. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Runaway from home. Your parents are even more f'd up than your 15 year old self knows.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

"See that guy sitting on the other side of the room in your Gr 11 politics class? He's the one. Now go out and enjoy yourself until it's time to meet him in a few years and live happily ever after."

"I know that spending time with a very old lady looking at her very dusty old photo albums isn't something a 10 year old wants to do, but your adult self really regrets not paying more attention to your great grandmother and her fascinating family stories, so listen up now, and take a few notes while you're at it please."

20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

:lol: Especially since so much of it would sound exactly like the stuff older people were telling me at the time.

If I had followed all the good advice I ladle out now, I would likely have a very different life. Not sure if that's good or bad, but since I am happy with how things have turned out and don't regret some of those side roads I took, the only advice I'd give my younger self would be "It will all be okay in the end."

21. backspin

backspin Active Member

Stay away from that man!! He's trouble. There's a much better one coming in a few years.

22. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This for me too.

Also - "that pretty, popular girl in fifth grade who's really, really mean to you? She's not worth it. Don't let her ruin your self-esteem and self-confidence."

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

"Take more risks, be more adventurous."

This is still something I'm working on ;)

24. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Sinatra had it right. Do it your way!

25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I would tell myself to live in the dorms at LSU as I really feel I missed out on a huge social part of college life by having my own apartment. I would also tell myself back in high school to PAY ATTENTION IN ANY MATH CLASS. My options were so limited in college because so many majors required math work I knew I would not be capable of.

26. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

To start exercising, like I do now, earlier. To stay out of the sun. Most importantly, to stop and enjoy the present more. And to not wish my life away. As in I can't wait for... It seems we find ourselves to be 10 years older and wondering where the time went. Hopefully, I can learn not to do that now.

27. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Probably the most realistic answer to the question.

28. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I would have told myself to go to college sooner. Yet, if I did that, I wouldn't have made the friends that I have. (since a lot of them weren't born yet.)

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I mentioned this one before in another thread but I wish I had heard earlier "Sit by the river bank as you watch your enemies slowly float by".

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Take chances when you're young: Apply for your dream job even if you might not have the qualifications, Study abroad, Approach that guy/girl that you're attracted too. etc.

Find mentors, either professionally or personally.

Develop and grow/maintain relationships. No one is going to knock down your door to look for you and this is even more true when you're older. I'm paraphrasing this line from an episode of Designing Women: "If you keep pushing people away, one day you'll find yourself with no one to push away from."

Like yourself. If you hate the way you look now, in 10 years you'll wish you still look like you do today.

Perhaps I should've listened to my parents and gone to Medical or Dental school and then I would be "set" for life.

(Have outrageous only-in-the-movie sex :shuffle:)