If you could have a rule created, what would it be.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

We have the Zayak rule (for repeating jumps), the Boitano rule (for professionals wasnting re-instatement), and the Witt rule (for costume violations).

What rule would you like created, and what would the penalty be.

I know I'm stealing Manleywoman's thunder here, so she may have naming rights.

But for overuse of Carmen, there should be a 25 point deduction in PCS, as well as being forced to watch dvds of every juvenile lady who has ever skated to "The Lonely Goatherd".

2. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

a rule to reward skaters for

attempting the 5 different triples (for ladies) and 6 different triples (for men)

i miss the good ol' days of the 6.0 system where you see ladies doing a classic, conservative ladies programme consisting of e.g.

3lutz-2toe,
    3flip,
    double axel.
    Pause
    ====
    Slow music begins
    spiral sequence
    Wind up to a 3loop
    3sal
    ====
    Fast music begins again
    3toe-2toe
    step sequence
    2axel
    ====
    ;)

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

YES to the 5 and 6 different triples thing!!

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

One spin with no change of position, that would focus on speed, centering and how well you get into the position you chose.

I agree with awarding points for skaters who complete 5 different triples (women) or 6 different triples (men).

Multiplying combinations by a factor, with more for the loop on the end than the toe.

Allowing judges to decide downgrades. If a majority think a jump is downgraded then downgrade it, I hate super slow mo close up video being used and one or two people so often controlling outcomes.

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

*cough* Bauil *cough*

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This is mine! :cheer2:

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sorry, if I read that from you before then it buried somehow in my subconscious because it just came to me. :lol:

8. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

My rule would be that the skater's music cannot have applause or cheering sounds built into the soundtrack. (When Sasha Cohen's "Dark Eyes" did that, I, sitting at home, thought it was the audience cheering... but no.)

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

Yes yes yes! I like this one! But I'd like add an extra bonus for ladies who do all 6 triples.

I like this one, too. I miss the old days where you had to hold one spin position for eight revolutions. I loved watching Plushy's camel when he did that. But now of course he has to change the position after like one revolution to get the points. I think they've put too much emphasis on the change positions.

Spiral sequence for the men! Some of them have really nice spirals that they never use.

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

My rule is that skaters get a 50 point bonus for actually skating to the music instead of over it.

11. skfan

skfan Member

no more blade grabbing, period. blade grabbing is fugly on death spirals and butt ugly on 95% of single skaters who drop their legs rather than extend the leg towards the hand that grabs the blades. most can't do a blade grab spin half as beautiful as rory flack's anyway. and maybe without blade grabs there would be an end to the epidemic of gloves.

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

^ Can I have this rule too, please?

13. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I think that men have had the option of doing a spiral sequence (at least they did until a few years ago). I know Jeff Buttle did one in his LPs in his early years of success. But I wish Shawn Sawyer would have.

I don't necessarily think they need to do spiral sequences, but at the very least a sequence of field moves should be required (with no more than 1 spiral included). I mean, they could do pivots and hydroblading if they wanted, but some sequence of field moves should be required.

14. skfan

skfan Member

please join! the more the merrier. :cool:

maybe some day we'll reach critical mass and there'll be fewer eyesore blade grabs? or maybe the rule change that cut down the # of dog-at-hydrant ladies spirals have falsely raised my hopes :lol:

15. jlai

jlai Title-less

Have a rule on pair footwork that needs to be unison skating during most of the sequence.

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

No more tights over the boots unless you are a synchro team.

17. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

This is a very good idea for a topic. I just hope it isn't overtaken by facetious replies.

I will have to think on this a bit to see what I come up with but so far am loving the blade-grab out the window movement, especially if it leads to less gloves being worn. Unfortunately it seems to me that the men are the bigger offenders here but few of them can even use the blade-grab as an excuse for it.

I also like the idea of the bonus for completing the complete package of triples, and adding extra points to combinations above the individual values of the two jumps performed.

The only idea that comes quickly to mind is that I would penalize the lifts that some Pairs teams do that are undoubtedly difficult but are just so very very ugly to look at. Imho the penalty can taken off choreography or even performance because for me they really break the mood of the skate, don't go with the music, etc.

I would also like to ban the stomach-cramp dance lift. That's the one where the lady scrunches up over the man's arm in the rotational lift, hanging there all contorted as if in pain. One year I remember seeing this same lift in 4 or 5 dances in a row

18. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

I agree with all of these and will add:

No tights over boots! Period, No exceptions!!

and although I enjoy Sasha's skating, this one move always bugged me, I would ban it if I had such powers:
    http://www.skateygirl.com/nat2003/SrLadies/cohen/images/r68n29_jpg.jpg

But more seriously, I would like to see points given for a sustained spiral as opposed to a spiral sequence where the spiral position is changed 2-3 times.
    A sustained spiral, one position, that is held, without wobbling from one end of the ice to the other should be given more points. IMHO

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I think there should be a rule where if the mans butt looks pleasing to ones eye they must be made to wear illusion fabric pants at some stage (ponsero anyone?). The bonus could be they take me out to dinner that night. Seriously though, I wish they would drop the three jump combo rule and allow them to do more.

20. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

just curious.... for professionals wanting re-instatement, what IS the rule?

21. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Changing underrotations to a GOE deduction instead of a downgrade. This would change so many results for the better, such as Nakano's 2008 Worlds placing.

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Revising the step sequence rule (levels), so that they don't have to last forever (and at the speed of a tortoise with a bad foot) and do not have to use every turn ever invented. I preferred the pre-COP step sequences.

23. Mafke

Mafke New Member

points for jumps recalibrated to reward variety, so that you get X amount of points for the first triple (Whatever it is) and you get X + Y for the next different triple, X + Z (where Z is greater than Y) for the next different triple etc. Repeated jumps get the same amount of points as the first jump of that type.

This would both reward having as many different triples as possible and also recognize the fact that different triples are of different difficulty for different skaters.

Oh! And no more than two jumping passes in the SP with no other scoring element between them and no more than three together in the LP. That would help balance programs a little.

24. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I would like there to be a rule about judging: If a judge gives high PCS scores (reputation scores e.g. for choreography, transitions and interpretation) for something that does not exist, that judge will be banned for life.

25. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

And may I add to that the removal of the full body movement requirement to stop the random bobbing up and down, butt in the air (ladies and men), which imo adds nothing to a programme.

26. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

making combinations worth more points than single jumps.

For example first jump in combination should be counted x 1.1 and 2nd jump x 1.3

I wish there was a rule like this, it would encourage many skaters to take risk and do 3-3

27. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

I agree with this rule but imo it would work only for transitions, choreography and interpretation are very subjective. :confused:
    My rule would be: skaters arenĀ“t allowed to work with the same choreographer for more than 2 seasons.:D
    Oh, and no donut spins for men,except Plushy in his prime:D, ok?

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. I like combos having a multiplier.

2. A special -GOE for elements with falls (-3 isn't low enough) with multiple falls specifically decreasing program components (one fall doesn't have to, two should, and three/four/five definitely should)

3. Bring back the second leveled step sequence. It's funny watching what passes for footwork from some of the guys.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Yes. And a straight line sequence should go back to being a straight line.

Actually, I like pretty much all of the changes proposed in this thread.

I'd also like to see the value of a double axel reduced, as well as reducing the values for all of the other doubles.

And Amen to the end of the blade grab, other than in a Biellman spin.