1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If V&T and D&W compete in 2018 Olympics who will repeat as Olympic Gold medallists?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 13, 2014.

If V&T and D&W compete in 2018 Olympics who will repeat as Olympic Gold medallists?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2015.
  1. Both V&T and D&W will win OGM

8 vote(s)
  2. Neither will win OGM

31 vote(s)
  3. V&T will repeat as Olympic champions but not D&W

88 vote(s)
  4. D&W will repeat as Olympic champions but not V&T

13 vote(s)
  5. Hard to predict

15 vote(s)
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I hope that both Volosozhar-Trankov and David & White will compete in the 2018 Olympics. If they do, how will they do?
  2. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

V&T will compete and if they compete will win. D&W wont compete, and even if they do probably wont win. Judges historically tend to be less kind to dancers that overstay their welcome.
  3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

V/T will repeat as Oly gold medallists
  4. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

Neither will win.
    As KimGOAT said, the judges will make sure to let them know when is time to go. I think both couples know that.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. Anyone from either team could get injured and affect the results. I think V/T have a good chance, but S/K or someone else might improve a lot by then. For dance, I have no idea.. D/W might run out of creative ideas, and slip down the standings, which is what I think kind of happened to V/M this past season, although maybe they did have creative ideas but Marina encouraged them to do the FD they did.
  6. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

V&T have a great shot. D&W I think depends a lot on what happens with Russian ice dance and its arrangement of newly assembled teams. If say Weaver & Poje are the #1 around 2017, D&W probably have a decent shot if they come back early enough and in good enough shape. If an improved Bobrova & Soloviev, or more likely one of the newer/younger combinations is on top then, with the Russian political machine behind them, it will be a lot harder to just jump back to the very top and win.
  7. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

V&T have a good shot. With D/W, I think it will depend on their motivation and staying injury-free. A selfish part of me would like them to return for Boston Worlds at least...:)
  8. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Are there even example of couples staying around and the judges "letting them know?"
  10. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

It is sad to think that the judges could dissuade skaters who are young and in their prime. It would be great to believe that they have SOME consideration for the many skating fans who pay to attend skating events. After all, if fans stop watching because their favourites are discouraged by judges who want to make way for other ( sometimes much lesser talent IMHO), how will they keep skating alive and well. I, personally would love to see both couples competing in 2018 if they so desire.
  11. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I think she has more of a shot at repeating than either V&T or D&W.
  12. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I think V/T have an excellent chance.D/W I think are done .One of the new Russian couples will win :watch:
  13. montrealsurfa

montrealsurfa Member

You have more a chance to win LottoMax than of Sotnikova defending her OGM.
  14. Vash01

I am thinking that the pairs field will become very competitive, challenging V&T. One of the Chinese or Canadian pairs (and possibly a Russian pair) could push them. If their motivation is strong and they are healthy, they may have a good shot at repeating as champions.

The ice dance field may or may not be strong enough to challenge D&W if they stick around. The new Russian teams are too new, so it's hard to say how good they will become. A Canadian or US ice dance team could develop to challenge D&W. Still if D&W have the motivation, I think they will be strong favorites.

Of course there is a lot of speculation involved, but I voted for both winning the OGM 2018, only because right now I don't see any pair or ice dance team that is very strong.
  15. volturemean

volturemean New Member

Who are the strong Canadian teams coming up. All are split except for Duhamel & Radford, and D&R will never challenge V&T. As for the Chinese Hao will be 33 by the next Games, and the other one the girl has almost outgrown her partner.

I think Weaver & Poje will win the next Olympics in ice dance probably, and if not them one of the new Russian teams that broke up from the I&K breakup. Bobrova & Soloviev could even do if they dump Zhulin immediately.

I voted V&T will win, but not D&W (I don't think they will even compete, but even if they do don't they will win).
  16. Vash01

D&R do have very strong technical content. I don't like their skating but they do rack up points with their lutzes (sbs and throw). The new MT&M and the new I&M could develop in the next 4 years- those are the Canadian pairs I am referring to-, but the real threat could come from other Russian pairs and Chinese pairs.

I have a feeling that D&W may not stick around till 2018. Charlie is engaged and will get married soon, I assume. Their focus could change. However, I would love to see them back in 2018. Right now Weaver Poje seem to have the best chance to develop enough to challenge for the OGM- whether D&W are around or not.
  17. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Belbin and Agosto come to mind. Their standing obviously dropped between '06 and '10
  18. legjumper

legjumper Well-Known Member

Moniotte & Lavanchy...their drop was infamously precipitous. Chait & Sakhnovsky were shown the door quite rapidly as well.
  19. Vash01

Drobiazko & Vanagas were dropped quickly after 2000 also.
  20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I voted for V&T but not D&W. For starters, while the thread is based upon IF both skate, in the back of my mind I highly doubt D&W even going for 2018 (or probably ever skating amateur again) while I do expect V&T to probably skate in 2018. However even to the exact circumstantial question of the thread, I see D&W losing in 2018 if they were to compete and V&T winning if they do compete, most likely.

D&W would lose to either a Russian team (who knows which), maybe to Weaver & Poje, or maybe to one of the young Americans of today who improve a lot by then. Most likely that team (don't remember their names) who won world juniors this year if it were another U.S team. Either way I wouldn't see them winning. Dance is still so political even today that a long break (which IMO they would be taking even if they go for 2018) would be certain to see their PCS plummet, while those who have emerged and gained clout in their absence soar. Pairs is more technical based and I don't see V&T taking a long break to see their sky high (too high?) PCS ever dropping.
  21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

True, as well as the other very good examples given, but in their case their skating in Nagano kind of sucked. They looked like an old/too much time off with injuries/near retired team. Maybe they were a bit harshly dealt with, but they didn't merit any higher than 9th place even with fair judging (or maybe 8th ahead of the Italians, but as the overmaked and politics propped up Italians also beat Punsalen & Swallow and Drobiazko & Vanagas who were clearly stronger than M&L in Nagano, almost pointless to consider them). If anything without their federation support them, their reputation and past achievements could not salvage their weak and underprepared performances in Nagano.

It is sad by Sophie's book she seemed to take such a bitter outlook on the whole thing, that it almost marred any good memories of her great career and all the wonderful things she did achieve. I can see being frusterated but she should also be a realist and just accept with a 2nd long injury layoff in just 3 years, and barely any time to prepare for the Games, they simply weren't ready, and their skating there simply wasn't that good.
  22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I doubt either will win. I think D/W will retired and V/T will be plagued with injuries and skate in shows by 2018.
  23. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that if D/W continue, which nobody knows at this point, they would do anything but continue their winning ways. They have unbelievable commitment, discipline, and technique. DWTS showed they still have a ton of room to grow artistically. It would be a stretch to stay on top at 30-31 but who's to say it's impossible, especially in dance?

They do seem to be serious about their studies and future careers, but on the other hand, they have the possibility to become skating legends as well as OGMs. It really depends on how much they live to skate. And they might have to leave Marina, but that could be interesting. I'm still waiting for a top team to go to Klimova and Ponomarenko.
  24. docktrump

docktrump Member

V&T might or might not compete at the next Games, and if they do they will win their 3rd and 4th Olympic golds.

D&W wont compete in 2018.
  25. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

It is hard to see V&T stopping if they are skating this season (and they are), or losing if they do go until 2018. Only injuries could stop them.

D&W are done. What motivation would they have at this point. And even if they return will be dumped.
  26. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

Chait & Sakhnovsky sucked. They won medals for awhile due to her mobster dad who threatened to kill Zhulin and others at the post event party.
  27. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

Did it really:

2004 worlds- 5th
    2005 worlds- 2nd
    2006 Olympics- 2nd
    2006 worlds- 3rd

2007 worlds- 3rd
    2008 worlds- 4th- with a fall, probably silver otherwise
    2009 worlds- 2nd
    2010 Olympics- 4th

I don't see any real difference overall between the two periods.
  28. anatric

anatric New Member

V&T will repeat their individual gold in 2018 but not their team gold.

D&W will win the team gold in 2018 which they missed in 2014, but not the individual.

OP are you talking about individual or team mostly.
  29. Vash01

30. robbyveldez

robbyveldez New Member

I think in 2018 a Russian team will win. Weaver & Poje will win the next 2 world titles, but be dropped behind the new Russian hotshot team in 2017 and nobody will be able to beat them in 2018, not even D&W if they return (which they wont).