If Lepisto and Korpii skated clean programmes at World's

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by poths, Nov 13, 2010.

1. poths

poths Well-Known Member

They'd challenge for Gold. :shuffle:

Europe only has two hopes, and they're both so fragile.

Neither girl has ever skated two back to back clean programmes at the same competition, I'm HOPING that this will be the year.

Lepisto's FP at the Olympics was sensational.
    Korpii has great programmes and the jumps too.

Mao/Miki/Suzuki..........Nagasu.............Are the top gals this season and I see no reason why clean Fins couldn't beat them all.

Will they ever go clean????

2. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Lepisto's olympic fp cures cancer :swoon:
    Korpi has one of the better programs this year, and if she lands her shites including 3-3, a spot on the podium should be a fair game. Lepisto is injured, so I'm not too optimistic about her chances, but she should contend for WG if she replicates her olympic performance.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

You should add Carolina and Ksenia to the list. I think they are very capable of winning World medals should they skate clean. I like Kiira but I don't know if she'll get the PCS.

4. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Right now the World title is wide open for the ladiezzzzz. :yawn: Things would be so much more interesting right now if Yu-Na and Joannie were skating; alas, they are MIA and no one IMO is stepping up to the plate in their absences. I guess if there is a favorite at the moment, it would be Miki, even though I'm not really liking either of her programs. Still, she has been getting the job done technically and her reputation at the moment is the most intact of all the ladies. Caro and Alissa have to prove that they can be reliable. Mao has to shake off her recent habit of melting down or else she could inherit the nickname Meltdown Mao. Mirai needs to learn how to get through a LP without a SashaLPfreakout(TM). Laura needs to get healthy and stop being a DoublejumpDiva. Kiira and Akiko need to overcome their pop-itis; singling jumps is so 1914. :shuffle:

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

..but when was the last time Kiira skated a clean program? I think all the ones I've seen have had tons of popped jumps.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, Kiira is beautiful, but her skating always seems a bit tight to me. And she rarely lands all of her jumps. I doubt she will medal at Worlds. ;)

7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lepisto could probably win gold since she's the judges' pet.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If Yu Na shows up at Worlds at even 80% she will cakewalk to it this year.

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Having it wide open is :yawn:?

No, having Yu-Na show up and win the SP by 20 points is :yawn:! I'm happy there is actually no clear favorite this year, it makes things a bit more exicting. Right now a different lady has won every GP, it's going to come down to who nails it on competition day, and right now, that could be many people.

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

If Kim is technically proficient, exciting and beautiful then I've got no problem with her showing up and winning by a mile. It's not as though anyone else has really shown anything stunning in the GP series yet, though hopefully at least some of them will improve by March.

I would like to see Kiira skate to her full potential and at least medal at Europeans. Pretty sure Ksenia will be on the European podium too. As for Laura, I'm worried that she'll be hampered by injury, and even when fit and healthy she's frustrating to watch.

11. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Poths dear, I share your hope.;)
    But, first of all, Lepistö has to recover. I am afraid she still is not able to train properly.:(

12. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Having it wide open only because no one's stepping up is :yawn:
    Kim and Nakano were two skaters who always started the season strong (how Nakano didn't manage more GP golds, I'd never know). With both of them out, I've been most impressed with Czisny so far. Never in my wildest dream thought I'd say that :eek:

13. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

If Lepisto and Korpi skated clean programs at worlds... it would mean that there really was no world championship and people were running imaginary competitions in their heads.

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

at the very least - 3 ladies will be qualified for 2012 Worlds which means Susanna Poykio makes a return! (will Jenni Vahamaa ever return)?

15. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Well Nakano was competing when Mao, Yuna, Miki and Joannie were in prime condition and Kostner was (dare I say a little more consistent). If she were still competing, given her jump contents, it will be enough to win.

16. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Miki is the only consistent skaters so far. With the 70% rule on the < jumps, it will definitely help her TES score wise as she is a few of the ladies attempting triple-triple. While her PCS is not sky rocketing, its strong enough. With new seasons and so many skaters getting their mojo back, the ladies field is very water down. I could definitely see someone running a way with world title and not even cracking the 190 mark.

17. NMURA

NMURA Member

They can't skate clean because their program contents are beyond their capabilities. Same thing could be said to many "inconsistent" skaters, like Lambiel, Chan, Rochette, Cohen...

18. pinky166

ITA. I think Miki has a great shot at another World title, and Flatt, Nagasu, Gao (whoever is on the World team) could have a good shot at medaling. The field is so totally wide open now, with Laura, Carolina injured, Mao imploding, Yuna and Joannie as question marks, Mirai still recovering, Rachael working hard on the 3lz-3lo, Alissa's seeming comeback, Ksenia being a force on the senior circut, and the last spot on the Japanese World team undetermined (likely a battle between Murakami and Suzuki).

19. smarts1

^ From what it looks like, Murakami has a great chance at medalling this year. I mean her PCS is skyrocketing for someone who just came out of juniors with less hype than what Kim and Asada got when they got out of juniors.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  20. museksk8r

Oh, please don't misunderstand me, I love unpredictability! My boredom so far comes from not personally enjoying many of the ladies' programs yet. It's not like ice dance where I've come to absolutely love many dancers' programs upon first viewing this season. The ladies aren't really grabbing my attention yet. Standouts for me so far are Alissa's, Carolina's, and Akiko's LPs though. Let's hope they all advance to Worlds and give their best showing there! :respec: As for Yu-Na and Joannie, I miss them and their skating/programs. I don't miss Yu-Na winning SPs by 20 points at all! ;)

21. pinky166

I agree, but because we aren't sure if she'll even be on the team, it's hard to say. For example, I don't think Akiko will medal at worlds but do think it is possible that she might beat Kanako at nationals and be named to the World team instead so we shall see.

Also, if Mao keeps imploding, are we sure JSF just wouldn't send Miki, Kanako, and Akiko instead? I know for the Olympics it was one thing, but honestly, if Mao doesn't have it together she really should not be competing at all this season and it would seem silly to send her if 3 other ladies are skating well and she isn't.

22. miki88

miki88 New Member

It also depends on how Kanako and Akiko do in GPF. I imagine it's hard choice for JSF regarding Mao, but I think if she's in not good condition by nationals, I think there won't be a big fuss about it. Mao has always been someone who abided by the rules.

23. smarts1

^ Akiko is fairly consistent, and Kanako has had strong performances in the past. But even Akiko has been increasing her reputation in front of the judges (her PCS have also risen). I'd put my money on Akiko for now.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The fact she is already training it is very unlikely Kim wont be at Worlds and she only has to show up at 75% to beat Ando and 65% to beat most of those others you named. So unless Kim formally retires nobody you mentioned has a good shot. If the field stays as weak as it has been this season I would be surprised if Joannie doesnt show up too. And last year Mao was this bad and had her act together bigtime for the Olympics and Worlds, skating at a level none of those you mentioned can hope to aspire to right now. So we will see what happens this time.

25. pinky166

Yuna is going to have to change her usual layout for Worlds though do to the new 2a rules, meaning unless she brings back the 3lo she will have to leave out the 3lz-3t or the 2a-3t and that will give her less of an advantage. Also we don't know how the judges will score her, it seems like in general scores this season are much lower than in past seasons...

26. museksk8r

She could do:

3Lutz+3toe
    3flip
    2Axel
    3toe+2toe+2loop
    x3Salchow
    x3Lutz
    x2Axel+2toe

This layout wouldn't be too different points-wise from her old layout. Kim's layout isn't what really gave her an advantage; her quality of execution did.

27. miki88

miki88 New Member

For Yuna, it really depends on her motivation and how well she is adapting to this coaching change. But if no one steps up by then, it's going to be pretty easy for her. I am hoping Joannie will come back, Mao will start to regain her form, and others like Mirai will start to show more of their potential or else it's going to be a snoozefest.

28. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

Is she competing?

29. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Well that's nonsense, since the only jump Susanna missed in her LP at the Olympics was the salchow, that she doubled and can clearly do in her sleep.

Korpii also went clean in 2006 Euros to make the Olympic team.

I won't even bother point out Lambiel's perfect FP at worlds 2006...oops, just did.

30. poths

poths Well-Known Member

At the moment the challengers seem to be:

Miki / Mao (despite the horrendous start) / Suzuki

Nagasu / Czisny ( I refuse to believe any judge would let Flatt medal)

Makarova (more top 6 than medals), Korpii (very unlikely that she'd ever go clean)

Phaneuf (has the capacity)

___
    MIA: Kim, Rochette, Lepisto

Since I love a good underdog, a Podium of Korpii (on the senior scene since 2005), Suzuki (since 2002), Phaneuf (2004) and or Czisny (2004) would be EPIC. With the exception of Suzuki, they are all serial under performers who have only ever shown flashes of their capabilities (Cynthia 5th at Worlds, Korpii 4th in the Worlds SP, Czisny on the GP and Suzuki on the GP circuit too.)