If Its Monday, its DWTS, but if Its Saturday its SOI? Season 18. So Confused!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DORISPULASKI, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

And this week they have the partner switch. I am not a fan of the idea.

I'm hoping there will be SOI fluffs & previews this coming Monday, though :swoon:

2. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

There will be riots if DWTS doesn't show at least one fluff package of M/C's partners watching them rehearse for SOI and/or attempting to skate with them.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I can't believe that Meryl and Charlie are subjecting themselves to this punishing schedule FOR FUN. If I wanted some fun after working like a slave to win the Olympics, I'd go lie on a beach somewhere for, like, three weeks straight. :nopryde: But then, I don't have the athlete's mindset!

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm sure the money is great.

5. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

6 figures are fun.

6. Wyliefan

Well, yes, there is that . . .

7. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Every Olympic gold medalist understands full well that the days, weeks, and months following the games are crucial for their marketability. They have the rest of their lives to lie on a beach, but only now when the public eye and consciousness is most receptive, "riding the wave" as Meryl called it. Which is not mutually exclusive with having fun with it as well.

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

True

9. DORISPULASKI

Meanwhile this person analyzed the partner switch data to determine how much the producers screwed around with the partner switch voting.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s195im

And Danica is happy with Maks (presuming that the secret sources are correct that Maks & Danica are partnered this week.

From Danica's twitter

And Derek is excited about the Switch up
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dancing-Derek-Hough-1080085.aspx

10. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Very true! It doesn't take long for the media to forget and move on to the next thing. With skating, it is even tougher for the mainstream media focus because it is a once-every-4-years sport. It is true with anything...you snooze, you lose!

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

And toughest of all for ice dancers--people don't 'get' it, even some skating people are fuzzy on it. Strike while the iron is hot. And I would think this is better than trying to be a "celebrity" (ie just showing up for red carpets, interviews, or trying to be an actor yes I'm looking at you, Lipinski...)

12. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I don't think even the USFS "got" it until a few months before the Olympics.:lol:

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I have to say, I really like the new pairings. They're pretty much exactly what I would've chosen. Can't wait for the next show.

14. Muffin

Muffin New Member

According to the gossip, Danica is not so happy anymore. Maks is back to his impatient/tyrannical self and that doesn't work with Danica's personality. I guess we'll see ...

And I voted for Maks with Danica and Meryl with Val back when it wasn't certain that they'd wind up back with their original partners. I figured that would pose the least obstacles to getting original partners back, but I also thought Maks would be able to chill for a week and be nice to his brother's partner.

15. Wyliefan

They didn't have DWTS in 1998. :) I don't see why she shouldn't have tried acting if she wanted to. I don't think anybody expected her to be Meryl Streep, but if the goals are to earn something, and have fun, and keep from completely vanishing from the public eye, I think she managed that much.

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I want to see Tony, Len, and Carrie Ann on skates and let the dancers and audience judge them :EVILLE:

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Except, not to be cold, not pretty enough, not very talented...I mean I realize the latter doesn't always matter, but unfortunately in acting if you don't have the former you NEED the latter. There's something kind of sad about Z-listers.

If Danica is already turning on the waterworks, Maks is going to steamroll her. And really, some part of me finds that good TV. Sorry, raised by parents of Eastern European extraction which has worked out well for riding instructors, skating coaches, and dance teachers as I have deeply ingrained the lesson "Don't mouth off or expect coddling."

18. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

According to PureDWTS? The most credible publication in the world? ;)

19. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Maks is not the most patient person (perhaps an understatement). Even with Val, the fluffs made Danica seem ditzy and like she had to be pushed to concentrate. Combined with Danica already bringing the waterworks, these have been attributes that have driven Maks crazy.

I can't wait for tomorrow night! :watch:

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think Len (and Bruno) would be up for it. Carrie Ann, though, would deserve it.

21. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Tara was battling against the unusual circumstance of being a US Olympic women's figure skating gold medalist while not being the most popular US ladies skater from that Olympics. (ETA: and the unusual circumstance was pretty much repeated 4 years later.) I seem to recall also that she made some choices that maybe didn't capitalize on her potential tween appeal as much as it could have??? That said, I see nothing wrong with using your Olympic success to try the acting world if that's what you want to try - Sasha did the same thing. And all that said, it seems she's found a bit of a niche with the commentating and seems to be benefiting from the Johnny association...I guess maybe it's mutually beneficial, but I give more credit to him.

I actually believe that Danica would be having Maks-related tears. She seems to exist on the edge of meltdown-ness anyway, I suspect Maks is sulking a little about having to switch...

22. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Hee, yeah. They are good when it comes to reporting behind-the-scenes info though. Their pre-Week 1 gossip on Meryl & Maks was that Maks loved her and was calling her "Princess" and their dance was really good - that was spot on. It's the comments and the evaluations of the performances that get wacky.

Sasha actually took acting classes though, and she had qualities suited to an acting career, such as good looks and dramatic flair. I don't think Lipinski had anything to offer Hollywood other than "I'm having my 15 minutes right now".

The same with Oksana Baiul who once wanted to be an actress - Katia Gordeeva told her she couldn't just show up in Hollywood expecting them to throw jobs at her, she needed something to offer. Hollywood's not in short supply of potential actresses.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  23. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Cripes...I went over there to read some of the comments about tomorrow's dances and who's doing what dance and got sucked into a delusional looney tune void. Apparently if you don't believe the sun shines out of Derek's ass you're a hater and anything said contrary to the Law According to Derek (or their whacko mods) gets deleted and banned. Needless to say I won't be going back. All I care about are Meryl and Charlie--I don't care who they dance with so long as one of them dances off with that mirrorball trophy. Although now I have less desire to ever see Meryl (or Charlie) dance with Derek. Geez! :scream:

24. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

More like the most manipulative, lol

Of course Charlie & Peta's rumba is gonna look like brother & sister, what a shocker... gee, it only took 17 years for him to develop some sort of romantic chemistry w/ Meryl alone.

Agreed that there's a lot of stuff I like there, their numbers analysis, backstage info...etc. But "truth telling" shouldn't come off so vicious & nasty, don't people realize it's not what you say but how you say it.

Apparently some think all we talk about is whether we think Meryl & Maks are dating... ummmm, hello!!! Us ice dancing fans are just as smart as ballroom dancing fans at spotting when two people are creating chemistry to sell the emotion of the dance :wall: (hmmmm, I guess they've never watched V/M skate). Most of us know that Meryl & Maks are not dating (but he certainly is smitten w/ her that's for sure).

Some people never grow up from that high school/middle-school mindset. I just hate the spreading around of lies insinuating that Meryl and Val are supposedly not getting along, she's headed for a meltdown & that he's being impatient w/ her :angryfire:.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  25. DORISPULASKI

If either Meryl or Charlie were likely to become upset with some junk said on some fan website or other, they would have retired one year out of juniors. I am just glad to see there are nutsier fans than ice dancing fans out there.

barbk and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Val did promise Danica last week that he would be an asshole to his new partner, so maybe he's just keeping his promise. :D

I'm sure the producers of the show want to make a good storyline out of this bungled switch-up mess, and portraying drama between Meryl/Val and Danica/Maks will go nicely with the "we're so happy to be back together!" storylines they'll do the following week.

As for Pure, you'd think people who spend so much time defending themselves from "haters" would occasionally stop to consider whether all these complaints have some validity.

27. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Derek's fan-girls make V/M ubers look like complete saints :)!!!

28. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

I figure that will be the storyline, and Maks will be sooooo happy to have his "princess" back for next week :D

Any normal person would stop and do that.

29. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to James and partner this week, and Drew. They've both grown on me to a point that I wasn't expecting. I don't see Drew lasting too much longer, but he's been charming to watch.

ETA: Can we please cut down on the talk about certain other websites?

30. belladashwood

belladashwood Member

Drew's adorable, kinda like this season's Bill Engvall, but I expect to see either him or Nene eliminated next week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.