If it's Dec 26th, then it must be World Jrs.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by professordeb, Dec 27, 2011.

1. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yep folks, it's that time of year again when some of us look forward to watching young men battle it out for the World Juniors Cup.

Good Canuck that I am, I watched some of the pre-comp games for Canada, but I missed most of the one where they were completely dominated by Sweden.

Tourny opened yesterday (Monday the 26th) and watched Canada mow down Finland. Had to be tough on the Finns as I'm sure they thought they were better than they way they played.

Took a quick peek at the U.S. game and saw they were trounching their opponents 10-3. OUCH! What a spanking.

So ... is anyone besides me watching these games?
  2. quintia

quintia New Member

*raises hand* I'm watching too. USA beat Denmark 11-3 last night. One of the commentators said that the Danish goalie that got pulled wasn't bad, but that he was seriously outclassed. I have a feeling this will be a theme throughout the tournament.

Go USA! :kickass:
  3. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

I'm watching! Fingers crossed we don't blow the gold medal game 3 years running.

My husband and I are determined to get to a tourny soon. He went to 2009 with friends and it's the best tournament to watch live he said.
  4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm watching! I love the World Jrs.

Mr. Habs and I were at the pre-tourney Canada/Sweden game. I think the Swedes are serious contenders to win this year. Just... wow.

Mr. Habs is at USA/Finland right now with his dad, and we have tickets to Finland/Czech on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!
  5. professordeb

Oh Habs ... I am soooo jealous. But in a good way. I don't begrude you being there, only wish I were. Maybe in a couple years when it comes back to Canada.
  6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

We had been hoping to buy all-event tickets but Hockey Canada screwed up with its lottery draw (Mr. Habs was drawn to purchase tickets, but by the time it was his pre-allotted time to purchase, it was sold out).

Instead, we bought a few games from friends, which has worked out well. Loving it - can't wait for Saturday!
  7. professordeb

Well colour me shocked that the U.S. team won't be playing for a chance at a medal. It seemed they had a decent enough game going against the Czechs yesterday and then ... the wheels just fell off. I felt bad for those boys but considering how much penalty time the Czechs had to kill off, they deserved the win. Had to chuckle a bit at the antics of their crazy tender and his celebration of goals. He needs to be a bit careful or he may find that he's hurting someone else or even himself.

May I also add that I wasn't keen on Canadian fans booing against the U.S. I realize that they might have had hard feelings about being beaten a few years ago and that the rivalry between the two countries is BIG but I still cringe when that kind of thing happens.

OK, here's to a great game this evening for Team Canada.

GO CANADA GO!
  8. quintia

quintia New Member

I could not believe that the US team completely fell apart against the Czechs yesterday. :fragile:

That Czech goalie was going into Braden Holtby levels of annoying behavior towards the end of the game. I understand it was a huge win for him and his team, but that didn't exactly seem kosher to me. YMMV of course.
  9. professordeb

Yeah, that same goalie was somewhat annoying with the fist pumping when he made a good save during the game against Canada. I understand about being pumped but it seemed OTT last night against the American team.
  10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

He was pretty subdued in the loss to Finland on Saturday. :shuffle:

What an AMAZING finish to the Sweden vs Russia game on New Year's Eve. That was one for the ages.
  11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Anyone else watching Russia vs Czech Republic?

This one's turning into quite the game.

Sorry I haven't been around until now. To say I was sick over the Holidays is like saying Canada's only slightly interested in the World Jrs. I slept through most of the game on Boxing Day. As my Nephew said, you know I'm *really* not well when...

GO CANADA GO!!!
  12. professordeb

I was trying to watch the third period of the Russia/Czech game last evening but didn't make it to the end of that 20 minutes of play let alone the OT. I must confess I fell asleep but ... I did wake up to see the Russian flag being raised as they played the national anthem. Hmmm ... not sure how I feel about a Canadian/Russian match up only because of last year. Then again, not sure if I wanted to see the Czech goalie again. Hmmmm, toss up for me.

Sooooo, it's Canada vs Russia to see who plays for gold and who plays for bronze. I will be watching the game as I "follow" my daughter's flight online as she returns back to school in Halifax. Hoping that they shovel out of the dumping of snow that has taken place in London, ONT so that her flight is on time. Here where we live, just a dusting of snow on the ground -- banana belt area is one nickname we call where I live :)
  13. AragornElessar

What a game this Finland/Sweden Semi has turned into and we're headed to a Shoot out...
  14. professordeb

I felt so bad for the Finns after the shoot out finished. I was kinda/sorta hoping they would make it to the gold medal game.

That being said, I am heart-sick with the Canada/Russia score right now. It's 2-0 in favour of Russia after 20 minutes of play and the stars of the period are the refs. Their names should be inconsistency 1 and inconsistency 2.
  15. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Yes!!! Canada scores!
    Sigh - and then Russia comes back with another goal. :(
  16. sequins

sequins New Member

and another.:(
    Funny the 2 teams that had a rest yesterday look like they'll be playing for bronze.
  17. AragornElessar

Well...They didn't lie down and give up, but...

Stupid penalties killed us and I *knew* if that wasn't cleaned up before tonight, it'd come back to bite us. Sure enough... :(
  18. quintia

quintia New Member

That Canada/Russia game was awesome and completely bananas.
  19. professordeb

Methinks we should learn to sell penalties better, especially when hit by one of our own players. Stay down on the ice til a whistle goes. Follow an official and MAKE them look at the "blood" on your face. The officiating stank - again.

Canada needed to play 60 minutes of their kind of hockey. They looked scared and then gave up goals. We also need a goaltender or two who can WIN and come up with big and outstanding saves when needed. Seemed neither of our two shone in that department compared to the Russian goalie.

Kudos for finally figuring out how to find the back of the net. Unfortunately, it was too little too late. Needed to have found that touch early. If Canada had gotten that first goal, it might have been different. I also think it might have made a big difference if we would have had availble to us those young men playing in the NHL whose teams wouldn't let them compete in this tournament. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. I know.

Anyway, go get that bronze boys. Still proud of the way you played.
  20. sequins

sequins New Member

That is until I woke up today and realized Finland didn't win:shuffle:I think I felt so bad for them losing the 2-0 lead and in the shootout that I blocked the Swedish win out. Oh well. Nice try Canada. I must admit I thought we'd pack it in I'm proud of them they didn't and almost pulled it off. Now go for bronze!
  21. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

You can't win 'em all, and unfortunately Team Canada came up short against a good team at the wrong time. They never gave up though, and I'm proud of them for fighting so hard and coming back like they did - that was an amazing 3rd period of hockey.
  22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

A big bummer to loose at home but oh well at least they went down fighting. :(
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

24. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Six months ago, tickets were impossible to get. Today, people are giving away tickets to the gold medal game. Sigh.

Canada may not be playing but it's still good hockey worth seeing. Mr. Habs and I were at a Sweden vs. Canada pre-tourney game and it was fantastic. In fact, I remember saying the Swedes would win it all. :shuffle:

ETA: Yup, I did:

25. sequins

sequins New Member

Congrats on the bronze guys. You played great.
  26. quintia

quintia New Member

Congrats on the bronze, Canada!
  27. sequins

sequins New Member

and congrats to Sweden! 31 years! In OT. They deserve it and the crowds at these championships deserve a gold medal as well. Sweden's skating around with the trophy and the place is still packed. Great job Alberta!
  28. AragornElessar

To all of those people who either sold their Gold Medal Game tickets or are like my Brother in Law and didn't watch since Team Canada wasn't playing...Boy, did they ever lose out or what on Thursday night?

That was a CLASSIC!!! I also have to say I never thought I'd see the day when a hockey player would jump so high as to nearly clear the glass, but that lad from Sweden who scored their Golden Goal came pretty darned close. :D

I also understand the Russians were disappointed. I mean...It's only human to be upset to lose the Gold Medal Game, especially when it happens 1~0, but...*but*...You've still won a Medal, you've played in a game that's going to be talked about for *years* and you're also representing your Country, so you accept that Medal w/pride and class. What you don't do, is just take your Silver Medal from the people who hand it to you and not wear it and skate off pouting. They all did that too. From the Support staff to the Coaches to the Players. Not a single member of that team put on their Silver Medals, but held them loosely in their hands.

I wanted to reach through the screen and shake the whole lot of them. Congratulations to them on keeping up the impression that when Russians lose something, they're poor sports about it. What a disgusting shame.

And then on the flip side, there's Team Canada who not only accepted their Bronze Medals w/class, but also w/joy. As the one player I saw interviewed said, it might not be the Gold Medal, but it's *still* a medal and how many hockey players would love to have a Medal of any colour from a World Championships? They even did a Team Photo after the Medal Ceremony.

Now that's how you act when you end up earning a medal that's not the Gold and Congratulations not only to the Team, but also to Don Hay and his staff. You can't tell me that he didn't sit them down and give them a bit of a talk about how to treat that Bronze Medal Game at some point between the Semi and the Bronze Medal Game. It's not his first World Jrs as a Coach and I'm so glad he was asked back, as I really do believe his experience truly came through to help out the Team after losing that Semi.

Well...Another World Jrs over and done w/and what a couple of weeks it's been too. Huge Kudos to Edmonton and Calgary for being awesome hosts!!! Alberta, ya did good!! :D

Just one thing I'm still wondering about though...I wonder if Sweden's still suffering from the after effects of the Party from the other day? ;) :D
  29. professordeb

I don't know if anyone read an article before the medal games but I did and wonder how if affected the Canadian boys. It was entitled "Walk of Shame" ... off to see if I can find it. Ahhh, yes, here it is and the part that hurt to read was this

It was 11:30 a.m. when Team Canada was forced to suffer their first group humiliation of the day.
    They had to make The Walk of Shame.
    It was at the magnificent new WinSport complex at Canada Olympic Park, where the team held their selection camp in the 2,800-seat showcase rink, and where their state-of-the art dressing-room facilities are located.
    The IIHF decreed the gold medal game teams have the use of the two feature sheets in the new four-rink, $345-million complex where all four practices were held simultaneously.
    So the Canadian teenagers, who lost the gold medal game qualifier the night before, were forced to schlep past the Swedes in the feature rink, traipse past the Russians who beat them the night before, and even had to trudge past their bronze medal game opponents from Finland to reach the sheet of ice where beer-league and minor hockey teams are the biggest user groups.

I would think this was rather humbling and I had wondered why they got the "fourth" ice pad rather than Finland. Not that Finland didn't deserve it, just wondered how TPTB deemed who got which pad.
  30. AragornElessar

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and her husband Prince Daniel are expecting their first child in March and they and her brother Prince Carl Philip welcomed the Swedish Jrs home yesterday. The Team also gave Victoria and Daniel a gift for the new little Prince or Princess...

Swedish Royals welcome home 2012 World Jr Champions

Awww....:D
  31. quintia

quintia New Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)