If Elena Radionova were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics, would she win a medal?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 8, 2013.

Where would Elena Radionova place if she were able to compete at the 2014 Olympics?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2013.
  1. 1st (Gold)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. 2nd (Silver)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3rd (Bronze)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. 4th

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. 5th

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. 6th - 10th

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Outside the top 10

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Would not make the Russian team

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It was very unfortunate what happened to both of them at worlds! That just goes to show the state of Euro ladies that they were second and third at Euros then went to worlds and 9 and 10. Not getting 3 spots for Sochi Olympics which was 100% guarantee. Everyone saw the state of Sotnikova a earlier this month.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

That's true of all the young girls. Nobody is crowning them champions yet, but there is nothing wrong with praising her for what she is doing well right now.

Sotnikova, Tuk, etc. are not exactly duds. They are young ladies working hard to overcome the changes in their bodies. It's too early to write them off, and too early to write off Radionova.

3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Bort's jumping at the 87 World Juniors was actually quite amazing for the time, especialy for a junior skater. Only Ito and on her best days Manley could outjump her in the whole World at the time with a performance like that. Yet a year later at U.S Nationals she was already a massive shadow of what she had been a year earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hH3lLs1WK4

She was never heard from after that. Holly Cook who was nowhere near Bortz as a junior and was 4th at that same World Junior event even flew past her and went on to become a World medalist (incidentally nobody who medaled at those World Juniors even came close to qualifying for a Worlds out of their country, and all were retired soon, while 4th place Cook went on to be the 1990 World bronze medalist).

5. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Those of you who dont think Elena would have any chance of a medal at the 2014 Olympics had she competed need to give your heads a shake. Her performances at Nelberhorn on home ice would likely point her over 200 points and with the inconsistent field, except probable gold medalist Yu Na Kim, that could easily be a medal wining score in Sochi. It doesnt matter since she wont be able to compete but she certainly would have had a medal chance. People who say nonsense like she wouldnt be able to beat a clean Asada and clean Kostner for the silver and bronze medals, how likely is it that Kostner and Asada will skate clean? No chance or close to none. So atleast look at in a more realistic way, could Radianova beat them and the rest of the field with the type of errors they are likely to make. The answer is definitely it is possible, not certain, but would have been possible.

For sure the Russians will be upset they cant send her. The girls they will send, whoever they are, dont have a hope to medal. She would have. She is already the best Russian skater and will probably win Russian Nationals this year.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

123 points for rather smallish jumps and not great speed or ice coverage is rather ridiculous. I'm glad a 4'11 girl with a prepubescent body who's mainly a jumping bean isn't going to be at the Olympics. There is more to skating and i want to see the whole package from a skater who looks and skates like a Senior Lady. Yes she's very talented but puberty and growth spurts could change all that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  7. Vash01

If she skates like that at the world level, I don't think she will get those high scores. Her PCS will be lower to make room for the more mature skaters. I really want her to develop into a champion, but if she makes the 2014 Olympic team, she will not be even in the top 5, unless most top skaters make multiple mistakes. JMO.

8. bek

bek Guest

Julia hasn't even had a eligible Senior career yet. And as for Tukt and Sotnikova, whose to say they won't ever be world or Olympic champions. They are both young. How many skaters actually are first their first season?

And as for not placing higher that was a pretty deep field.

9. mia joy

mia joy New Member

ITA. I'm through getting all excited about the wonder babies before they hit puberty. They can as well be cursed with a body of Gedevanishvili. She was a wonder child once too and look where puberty got her.

Lets see how she does two years from now before we name her the future Olympic champion.

10. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Active Member

Good lord, isn't it enough already? Have you somehow swallowed an old tape and have something stuck on the repeat button? There are already two copies of your usual 'blabla she's still young so what she can do now means nothing blabla'-posts in this thread - if you're so disparaging of these young russian girls, then why do you spent so much time posting abut them? Just leave it alone, it's annoying as hell.
    Yes, people over-hyping those young skaters up to later stardom are annoying and stupid, but people who just dsimiss all of their hard work and good skills are stupid just as much. Elena might not make it through puberty, but that doesn't change the fact of what she's capable of now. And right now, she has a very difficult jumping layout and a much more joyful and whole-hearted presentation than the majority of the senior girls. Nothing wrong with loving her for that.

What an unfair world, I want to be cursed too! :D

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:respec:

12. Vash01

Nobody is crowning her champion right now, and everybody knows that puberty can change a body, and can impact a career very negatively. It doesn't mean we should not appreciate what she is doing well right now.

13. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I hope that ISU would change their rules and would not allow female skaters under 17 to participate in ANY senior competitions.

14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Oh, noooo! It would be tragedy, in my opinion.

15. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

17 ???? Isn't that too much for a senior age eligibility

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Vash01

YOu are OK with 15-16 year old male skaters competing as seniors but not ladies?

Michelle Kwan had already won the world title at age 15, and a silver medal at age 16. Her career did not begin at age 17.

Your recommendation is grossly unfair and it shows a lack of knowledge of figure skaters, who- like gymnasts- have a very narrow window physically to have a career.

17. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I am already excited to see ladies skating of the next quad.
    second Baiul(Radionova) vs second Harding(Gold).

18. pat decaro

pat decaro Member

For a 14-year old, she seems well-focused. I hope she gain some more power, speed, and height to her jumps, then she'll be on a right track. She's already a phenominal skater for her age. This is what she said after Nebelhorn: Figure skater Radionova tends to ride beautiful as....

Elena Radionova , won a landslide victory in his first senior competition - competition Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf , said the agency "F-Sport", which seeks to ride as beautiful and confident as Olympic champion and world champion Korean Kim Yu-Na.

"As long as Axel in three and a half times I will not do - Radionova said, responding to a question about whether she's going to continue to complicate the program. - It is better to focus on the triple jump - and ride beautiful as Kim Yu-Na. She jumps triple so beautiful that her axel in three and a half turns is not necessary - it will benefit all of the components.'s what I want to jump like it. were to ease, a beautiful horse and beautiful jumps. If complicate the program, it is only moving the stages of the second half. "

Robeye and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'd be interested in pursuing the argument (though I'd make the age universal, not specific to female skaters) and assert we'd need to redefine what the sport is about if that was the case.

20. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Who knows, maybe the sport would be better off if all skaters past werent allowed to compete at Worlds and Olympics until they were atleast 16. They made the change and seem happy with it. It probably wont change back anytime soon.

21. lyverbird1

lyverbird1 New Member

Skate America anyone? Oh dear.

22. vmfan89

vmfan89 Member

Regardless of where she would finish at the Olympics, I am sure that Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Leonova, Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, Gosviani and any other Russian lady with the potential of making the Olympic team are glad that she is too young to go.

Seriously, what is Russia going to do with all this talent... Proklova, Sotskova, Medvedeva, Sakhanovich, Ogoreltseva, Stavitskaia, Agafonova, Biryukova, Korobeynikova? If they all competed for different countries I would say that most have a shot at having a decent career, but with them all from the same place, so many of them will not get much chances to compete internationally.

Could some of these girls switch to pairs or is finding a decent partner a big struggle?

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

They could switch to pairs, but pairs are getting a bit overcrowded too. 5 Russian junior pairs just got into JGPF!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Thanks, pat decaro, for this find. In recent years, it is increasingly clear, as evidenced in the comments of up-and-coming young skaters, that Yuna is having a significant impact on the way future stars will skate, shaping them in her own image in one aspect or another. One sees it in Gracie's fangirl admiration in the US, and Zijun's hero-worship in China, and now Elena's moony homage in Russia. What is worth noting is that they are the very best young prospects that these disparate countries have to offer.

There is a theory in literary circles that the pantheon of "The Greatest" is a creation of their successors. Not by bystanders or viewers or fans or critics, however impassioned, but by those who will literally follow and practice in their footsteps.

That is to say, greatness is like a chain; Michelle is one of the greatest because there was something, or things, in her skating that subsequent great skaters responded to and were influenced by (in ways both direct and indirect, acknowledged and unacknowledged). Like Yuna Kim, for instance, who used to stand in front of a mirror, performing every move of a Kwan program from memory, possibly even pretending she was Michelle.

Under this theory, how do we know that Yuna is making a strong case for being one of the greatest? Because of Gracie and Zijun and Elena, and the many others who may not be quite so prominent yet, who have begun to incorporate the best aspects of her skating, and eventually, one hopes, will individuate from that point of departure and make those aspects uniquely their own.

The final stage: when those who were influenced by Yuna become champions in their turn, and themselves demonstrate their influence on the generation of skaters that follow, Yuna will become a permanent part of the skating Canon, or so the theory goes.

This post is probably more relevant to a different thread, but your post set off a chain of thoughts. To rein it back in and return, finally, on topic, I will say this: being a very great admirer of Yuna's skating, this borrowed theory gives me yet another reason, in addition to her intrinsic talents, to root for this precocious sprite from Russia.

Go Elena! :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  25. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Given today's brilliant performance by Radionova at the NHK Trophy, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are extremely fortunate that she is not age eligible to compete at the Olympics. If she were, then Lipnitskaya and Radionova would be automatic picks for the 2 spots by now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I would love to be cursed with Gedevanishvili's body. Anyone know of any "total babe" curses?

27. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

they should be thanking Radionova 1 spot is still open ? :rofl:

28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

NHK Results

FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
    1 Mao ASADA
    JPN
    207.59 1 1
    2 Elena RADIONOVA
    RUS
    191.81 3 2
    3 Akiko SUZUKI
    JPN
    179.32 2 4
    4 Gracie GOLD
    USA

Um... You were saying? :rofl:

Well put! Elena is still just a child but she has tons of talent and potential. She's has'nt even begun to show her full potential. Awful Shmawful. Hopefully she'll survive the puberty monster and only get better with age.

29. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

She has a lot to do with polisihing her technique, but her radiant joy of skating is really lovely to watch. It radiates to the audience, even via tv. That´s why I like her.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She needs to do something about that 2axel.